• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I usually recommend driving in the same direction as the road, rather than perpendicular to it. That seems to help me.
Is that where I went wrong? :icon_confused:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Don't listen to him. He has no sense of adventure.
That’s okay, I have more than enough to go around! Also, I’m lacking some common sense lol…

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I had intended to work on the green Ranger today because it was supposed to be dry and reasonably warm. Instead, it waffled between a heavy mist and light rain all afternoon so nothing really happened.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Put the new stereo in the '90, just a cheap Boss $40 unit with front USB, bluetooth and front AUX port, already put one in my F350 and it's workable... Conveniently found the little USB drive I had in the rear USB port of the old stereo that had stopped working a few years ago I thought burnt out, turns out it was just unplugged some... Score! :) So far so good, it works so I clicked it in place...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Freezing rain incoming.

Took it down the road to blow the mud out of the tires and backed it into the garage.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well… it was supposed to be dry today, or so they said last night. Was really on and off rain, mist, and almost rain today. Still, I figured I’d see if I could do something. So I went out to work on the green Ranger, then remembered that this is supposed to be the last of the warmer days for a bit decided to go dump the oils in the tractor and it would be one more thing off the list and out of my way, so I trotted over there, cleaned the drain plugs of the gunk since when I drained it I didn’t have a screwdriver handy to clean it, snugged them, dumped the engine oil in and dumped the trans/hydraulic/axle gear oil in. Well, hopefully most of it. Despite being on the warmer side today, that stuff was still honey. I had things to do and figured I’ll check it later and deal with if it needs more then.

So while I was down there I figured I’d straighten out my pile of garage parts that we noticed were blown around on the way to church yesterday. Yeah. :temper::temper::temper: Couple of the panels were wrapped around trees or otherwise damaged. Had to drag dad down there to help me get everything untangled and unwrapped and back roughly to shape on the pile. I’m thinking this has to go up in the rather near future before it can get any more damaged from storage.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, and I got a grinder disk on the grinder and finished adjusting the clearance of the coil pack mount so it clears my fancy plumbing on the green Ranger then ground off the last little bit of the old core support before heading in kinda soaked from how wet it is out there. At least something got done on it today.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just moved some firewood with the '97 from the shed to the porch rack then decided since I was close to the old tailgate I'd swap the bedliner tailgate panel so that's finally done... while the '90 is in the shop I'm thinking of putting the front drivers door speaker back in place (yes I have two speakers per door...) now that I have a new stereo...

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Drove it to work again, the boss man gave an old drill press not the best but its free n works! Also went to the parents place after work and grabbed some concrete blocks and more jack stands. Will be replacing transmission in 03 superduty this weekend. Still loving the 347! Need some rims, tires, and an actual lowering kit. Chopped front springs are not a good ride.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I had intended on working on the green Ranger today. But then I saw my neighbor Jerry out and got to talking and he said he wasn’t doing anything and so we got to messing with the Ferguson tractor. Fuel tank is on, battery sort of in, new battery cables, new fuel line, points cleaned, and couldn’t get the carb to do it’s thing. Gave it a snort of starting fluid and it fired right up though. Pulled the carb and then he ran me and my stuff back over to the house since he brought his golf cart over.

After he left I got the coil pack bracket mounted and a couple other little things done on the green Ranger then with the last of the light popped the carb apart and did a half-baked clean job. Gotta make a new gasket and probably give it another quick clean and see what happens. Wasn’t my plan to do all of this, but he knows more about these tractors than I do, so it was nice to take the help when it was available. Kinda a good boost to finally get to hear it kick over. I needed that.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, cleaned the carb for the tractor, made a gasket template and couldn’t find my gasket paper. Took care of a couple little things for both the tractor and the Ranger but really didn’t get to make much progress beyond that. What was supposed to be a dry day turned into snow/sleet this morning that was supposed to end by noon but really lasted all day which wasn’t helpful. Should have become a weatherman…

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
So glad that when we came home from colorado (30s and teens at night, deep snow in denver) it was in the 80s here in south texas. One day went into the 70s since we have been home but generally, its been 80s and nice

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So glad that when we came home from colorado (30s and teens at night, deep snow in denver) it was in the 80s here in south texas. One day went into the 70s since we have been home but generally, its been 80s and nice
fyi, 2" of snow is not "deep snow"...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The wife is off babysitting tonight so I took that as an opportunity to screw around on stuff (I could anyway but easier when you're alone, plus beer and a cigar so I had to be outside :)).

Started off changing the oil in the '97 finally, been I don't know how long... that went fine but when I went to start it I tried to do the "clear flood" deal with cranking at WOT to get some oil flowing and it started RIGHT THE F UP, so that would explain some things, I guess the easy thing to do is check the TPS and make sure it's getting to WOT (the whole zip tie mod and all, have never done that on anything yet I don't think), then maybe check on new injectors... probably should pull the manifold reference line off the regulator before I get too crazy...

Then went to look for something in the '00 Explorer, dome light didn't come on so battery was dead, the high frequency trickle charger was having nothing of it from the low voltage so I drug out the transformer charger... it's switch for modes is MAD and I heard some plastic go flying inside so I guess I need to take it apart once the battery is charged and get a new switch...

One of the harbor freight lights I put in the shop (out of 16 and after 2 years) has been iffy the last couple weeks so I swapped it with one of the extras I have for other places, I'm pretty sure it's just the chain pull switch since it worked once it was down... whatever :)

Then I changed one of the water filters for the house so hopefully there's some pressure now...

Tomorrow the speakers I ordered for the '90 are supposed to show up, and when looking in the explorer I found some panel clips so I even get to snap the door panels on better!

So anyway, was a mixed bag of success tonight...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals