• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Ya snooze, ya lose! Like I don’t have enough projects, I was thinking of picking up another bed and making a red trailer to match Big Red. I found this yesterday afternoon on eBay, decided to grab it, contacted the guy about an hour ago, and he laughed and said it went 45 minutes after he listed it. The price was right!

IMG_0733.jpeg

I think the first GEN beds match the ‘96 F250 better, so I’ll keep searching. But even down here, it’s hard to find them that clean and that cheap and with the tailgate.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
That’ll work as long as it’s vegetable-based, and not animal-fat based. I’m not familiar since any true Polish cook would never use PAM….
Mmmmmm. Golumpki.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I pulled the trigger on reviving the ranger I bought for parts instead of disassembling it. First and foremost was a new windshield. Almost as much as I paid for the truck. Ordered the new taillights and turn signal light and new shackle Kit. Should be here by Wednesday. Temp installed some very nice T111 over the hole in the rear of the cab that use to be a window. Not gonna lie. It’s sexy. I’ve got a used rear glass but I’ve never installed one. Ordering the seal and we’ll give er a go. Build a cat delete as the cat was stolen prior to my purchase. Should be driving her by next weekend. At least more than around the block.
That’s how a $600 truck becomes a $1200 truck.
View attachment 102848View attachment 102849View attachment 102850
Putting those windows in isn't hard but can be frustrating. There's a way with 1/4" rope that I've been meaning to try but haven't... Normally I just put the window in the seal then put one bottom corner in and walk the seal around the seam with a piece of wire or butter knife (salvaged it from a junkyard at one point, it's bent up, perfect tool for many things...) or screwdriver, sometimes you need to go outside and push on the window. Some are easier than others, I've had rear sliders on my '90 for many years but have taken it out a few times, and done the one on my F350 a few times...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ya snooze, ya lose! Like I don’t have enough projects, I was thinking of picking up another bed and making a red trailer to match Big Red. I found this yesterday afternoon on eBay, decided to grab it, contacted the guy about an hour ago, and he laughed and said it went 45 minutes after he listed it. The price was right!

View attachment 102852

I think the first GEN beds match the ‘96 F250 better, so I’ll keep searching. But even down here, it’s hard to find them that clean and that cheap and with the tailgate.
Atleast they're replying to you. I'm trying to get a donor explorer for a future V8 swap.

Found one down here in Macon, $1000 as is at time of listing and inquiry. I asked if it was 2wd or AWD and the lady doesn't know. I asked for more information/pictures so I could figure it out, or if I could come by and take a look. She hasn't responded since. Few days after ghosting me she bumped it to $2000 and added that it has a radiator leak and she lost the title, but new tires, brakes, and fresh oil change. Now saying 1700 and not a dollar less, but still no reply to someone that expressed interest.

Even if she did reply, I'm not sure if I want to pay $1700 for one without a title and something that is primarily being bought for parts. I mean it is clean from the outside and I wouldn't mind possibly driving it for a bit as is if I put regular wheels back on it. I almost hate admitting that I actually like the way it looks as is, but I don't think I want to actually drive it on those wheels. It's been a couple weeks since she ghosted me, so maybe I'll try again this week.

405017280_871742531224621_5403482432464983699_n.jpg

The other was up your way. Listed as being in Jonesboro. 2000 Mountaineer for $1000 and the ad actually states that it is V8 awd. Perfect combo for what I need. Few issues listed, mostly doors stuck, but the seller wouldn't even acknowledge that I was trying to contact him. Offered to pay asking price in cash and be there any day of his choosing. No response. He finally updated the listing as sold today, but he could have atleast responded saying that he already had a potential buyer or something.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Changed the oil in the '97 ranger tonight, while it was in the shop I worked on the hood latch alignment more since it hasn't been right since the wreck over a year ago... got it better but it looks like the core support is shifted to the passenger side some which explains a lot on the hood latch position...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Got the EGR tube hooked back up and changed the oil in the '96 yesterday, then took it for a ride to see If my valve cover gasket replacement worked.... it did!

Pretty sure it needs 5qts? I had 4 on hand.. so that's all it got lol. 4qts was more than what drained out of it though so at least there's that 😅 I'll grab another whenever I go by napa.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I need to repost this in another area please let me know.
Not going to say that you need to, but there is a transmission section. Might get more attention and better responses if you post there. Sorry, but I don;t know enough about the internals of the transmissions to help you there.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Not going to say that you need to, but there is a transmission section. Might get more attention and better responses if you post there. Sorry, but I don;t know enough about the internals of the transmissions to help you there.
I moved it, lol

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Replaced the front, right bearing assembly on the 2011. The job itself went ok. The virus someone gave me made an otherwise fine job miserable.

Now, it just needs emissions testing and a safety inspection. I also noticed that it's getting about tine for a front brake job. The pads are about half worn but the back of the right rotor is getting iffy. If one side is like that, the other is probably the same.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Atleast they're replying to you. I'm trying to get a donor explorer for a future V8 swap.

Found one down here in Macon, $1000 as is at time of listing and inquiry. I asked if it was 2wd or AWD and the lady doesn't know. I asked for more information/pictures so I could figure it out, or if I could come by and take a look. She hasn't responded since. Few days after ghosting me she bumped it to $2000 and added that it has a radiator leak and she lost the title, but new tires, brakes, and fresh oil change. Now saying 1700 and not a dollar less, but still no reply to someone that expressed interest.

Even if she did reply, I'm not sure if I want to pay $1700 for one without a title and something that is primarily being bought for parts. I mean it is clean from the outside and I wouldn't mind possibly driving it for a bit as is if I put regular wheels back on it. I almost hate admitting that I actually like the way it looks as is, but I don't think I want to actually drive it on those wheels. It's been a couple weeks since she ghosted me, so maybe I'll try again this week.

View attachment 102892

The other was up your way. Listed as being in Jonesboro. 2000 Mountaineer for $1000 and the ad actually states that it is V8 awd. Perfect combo for what I need. Few issues listed, mostly doors stuck, but the seller wouldn't even acknowledge that I was trying to contact him. Offered to pay asking price in cash and be there any day of his choosing. No response. He finally updated the listing as sold today, but he could have atleast responded saying that he already had a potential buyer or something.
Amen. I still love Craigslist - most folks respond pretty quickly- but more and more people aren’t using it and they’re using marketplace. I don’t like marketplace because of the owners politics, but I’m still using it more and more. I have the same experience, that three out of four don’t respond at all, and the ones who do usually take a while. I’m not sure it’s marketplace, I think it’s just the way people have been raised and their manners today. Central focused.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I moved it, lol

if you got it moving, do you still need the Transmission help?

Yuck, yuck yuck, I can’t resist

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This morning I swapped out the plug wire with one from old engineand again no change. Finally got my hands on a new spark plug this afternoon and tried a different plug wire again. Fired up and ran smooth. Going to drive it around for a bit and ig all stays good it's going to get new plugs and wires all round.
Welp, it's been a week worth of driving since and no more missfiring. Coolant is mostly water, so I I'm going to do a flush before replacing with Antifreeze. Dumped in some cleaner this morning, will have about 4 hours of running on it by the time I get home tomorrow. Might get off work early thrusday, so I'll drain, fill, and do the rest of a tune up if I have time.

The Ranger is going to be competing for wrench time for a bit with the F-100. Need to finish up a power window convesion on it, and get it driving before heading to Christmas at grandmas. Got the window kit installed and working, but need to change the wiring. I want them wired to battery hot so I can roll the windows up after turning off the truck, but the switches have LED backlights and would slowly drain the battery if left that way. Acquired a time delay relay that will let me keep them hot for up to three minutes after key off, just need to wire it in. Once that is done, I have some replacement body panels that I need to get prepped to install. Replacement inner fenders, hood and bed. The front end parts have been in storage at dad's shop for a few years, but he's getting ready to do some work on it and they are in the way of that. Be easier/better to prep and install than to move to other storage.

Hello all,

Replaced the cruise control push-buttons on the steering wheel (2003 FX4)

Tom
I need to do that too. Wish someone made replacement switches that would actually last. Every pair I've installed have had the coating turn loose from the heat. Atleast I think it's the heat, I don't apply any chemicals to them.

Amen. I still love Craigslist - most folks respond pretty quickly- but more and more people aren’t using it and they’re using marketplace. I don’t like marketplace because of the owners politics, but I’m still using it more and more. I have the same experience, that three out of four don’t respond at all, and the ones who do usually take a while. I’m not sure it’s marketplace, I think it’s just the way people have been raised and their manners today. Central focused.
Yeah I liked Craigslist better, but like you said, not many around here use it any more. FBMP works well, except the search and location functions are terrible. Doesn't matter what I set the search radius as it's going to show me items from all over the country and miss some that are local. Like you said, the problem with FBMP is the people not caring or being motivated to sell. That's probably also half the problem with the search, people not listing things properly.

I get that sellers don't want the generic "is this still available" message, but if someone takes the time to write something out, take the time to reply. Also don't demand text or call only when FBMP won't allow you to post a phone number in the listing. I tend to think if people won't deal through FBMP there is something fishy, you were willing to useit to advertise why not communicate.

Still trying to decide if I'm going to give the Mountaineer I posted previously another shot. Asking 1700 "lowest", and I'm thinking since it's been up a few seeks maybe I could offer 1500 cash. If I do I'm not sure if I want to try to buy as is, or if I want to try to knock several hundred off buy offering to buy without wheels. I have enough spare wheels and tires around to get it rolling so if they'd take1K or less without wheel I'd probably do it. Or buy for around asking price and try to sell the wheels for $5-$700.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals