• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Else Should I Check (CEL)

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Are there any Ford mechanics here?

On the way home Thursday my Check Engine Light came on. And I had a lot of codes. 218, 222, 223, 224 and 334. What a bummer

Anyway, after checking things out, I replaced the front coil pack, and the plug wires.

Code 334, the EGR Position sensor checked out, so I replaced the EGR Valve.

The check engine light is off (for now and hopefully for a long time). Is there anything else I should check just to be on the safe side.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I have not cleared all the codes yet. It got cold, so I may wait. The CEL is off. So I'm goona assume that I might be on the right track.

Edit: I just got back from a 20-25 mile test drive, NO check engine light.

Last edited:

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
disconnect your battery for about an hour, it'll clear all your codes for you, but then when you reconnect everything up again let it run for another hour and then check for codes. They'll all be fresh and you'll have a much better idea of what you're chasing. Although, if its running fine, no codes are coming up, and there's no smoke from anywhere, then I'd say your good.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for your response.

The CEL would still come on every now and then, it would stay on for a minute or two then go off

I finally located a Real Ford Mechanic, here is what he said. The Ignition Control Module ground will become resistive over time. He said to remove the ICM, clean the mounting screws, clean off all thermal compound, clean both the mounting surface and ICM mounting surface. Apply new thermal compound and reinstall.

Problem gone. No CEL for 5 days now.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for your response.

The CEL would still come on every now and then, it would stay on for a minute or two then go off

I finally located a Real Ford Mechanic, here is what he said. The Ignition Control Module ground will become resistive over time. He said to remove the ICM, clean the mounting screws, clean off all thermal compound, clean both the mounting surface and ICM mounting surface. Apply new thermal compound and reinstall.

Problem gone. No CEL for 5 days now.
Glad you found the fault any advise we can get from a real mechanic is appreciated by us wanna bees!

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I am also a wanna be, I also learned something. The mechanic informed me that the coil pack i changed was probably OK, the wires probably needed to be changed.

He said that most Ford ignition problems he fixed, was simply regounding (cleaning all surfaces and screws) the ICM. He also stated that the dual plug DIS is a super reliable system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals