• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Radiator to use?

StephenLewis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Big Bad 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I got a 92 ranger 4x4 with a 2.9. The darn thing overheats if I do anything other than normal stop and go. Is there a bigger radiadator out of a RBV that will bolt right in?

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I usually use something like Rockauto.com to cross reference parts like that. A 3.0 radiator might work for you, and I know my 92 3.0 never gets anywhere near hot, even when it's low on coolant. They provide pictures of the parts and dimensions, and we already know the mounting points are the same.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You have other problems then if you are overheating all the time. The stock radiator is more than enough cooling for the 2.9L, that's why ford put it in there. Your problem lies elsewhere.

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You have other problems then if you are overheating all the time. The stock radiator is more than enough cooling for the 2.9L, that's why ford put it in there. Your problem lies elsewhere.
Unless it's clogged, or just not flowing enough anymore.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yes, which is why he should diagnose the problem instead of just trying to throw parts at it. It could be a clogged rad, bad thermostat, bad clutch fan just to name a few items.

If he does need to change the radiator I would suggest going to a 91-94 4.0L explorer rad from an automatic with air conditioning truck. That will be the biggest stock rad that will swap right in.

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a 92 ranger 4x4 with a 2.9. The darn thing overheats if I do anything other than normal stop and go. Is there a bigger radiadator out of a RBV that will bolt right in?
Regarding my recently acquired BII, I noticed too much gauge movement in the summer heat to keep me from not worrying about cracking the heads. Fan clutch and thermostat are fine...engine has a bit over 100k miles on it. I will be installing the radiator for the 4.0 Explorer designed for an auto w/air. I believe the 4.0 core is a tad over 2" thick...supposed to drop right in.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yes, you want the 4.0 radiator for the vehicles with automatics, a/c, and the max cooling package. It's around 2" thick, and $116.20 shipped from radiatorbarn.com.

I also agree that there may be another cooling system problem at work here, and it should be checked before putting the money into the radiator.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My overheating turned out to be a bad auto trans. Went to stick and problem disappeared. Good advice on finding the cause before installing parts.

StephenLewis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Big Bad 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well it has a new fan clutch and a new thermastat so the problem is got to be else where unless these parts a faulty.
During normal driving the needle barely moves though it is just when I put it through its paces it gives me fits.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals