• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to check next? Oxygen sensor seems fine

jblc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I got a p0133 code: slow response (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1).

However using my scan tool, the O2 sensor is outputting voltage at the proper voltage levels while driving: between ~ 0.1 and 0.9 V.
The voltage oscillates as it should during driving, but I don't know...can it could still be malfunctioning if it's outputting the proper voltages?

What should I check next? MAF cleaning?

Coldair

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a p0133 code: slow response (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1).

However using my scan tool, the O2 sensor is outputting voltage at the proper voltage levels while driving: between ~ 0.1 and 0.9 V.
The voltage oscillates as it should during driving, but I don't know...can it could still be malfunctioning if it's outputting the proper voltages?

What should I check next? MAF cleaning?
The heater for the O2 sensor is bad if you want the cel turned off replace it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The code you have doesn't reference the function of the sensor in absolute terms, so much as the speed with which it is doing it's job. The computer is making adjustments and not seeing the change in the O2 signal within a set time.

If you are viewing just the numerical output PID you probably won't see it, but on a graph the difference between a good sensor and a slow one is clear.

I'd replace the sensor anyway because the O2s are wear items, and your truck is 20 years old, which means it is due for at least it's second set, if not a third set by now.

jblc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
"on a graph the difference between a good sensor and a slow one is clear."
Hmmm, having two graphs -- of a good and this bad sensor -- shows no discernible difference.

jblc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Since the O2 sensor voltage response looked good, I cleaned the MAF first. So far the code has not returned after a few days of driving. If the MAF is inaccurate, the O2 sensor may have a poor reference and thus be deemed nonfunctional, even if it's operating correct.y

Although it's looking promising, this might not end up being the right solution, but I'm posting this because it so far it seems to have resolved the issue...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 3.0 Ranger still has all the factory o2 sensors, never been replaced once.
I've had the same code one time, cleared it and it never came back. Truck was in my Ford dealer in January for difficult starting, they ran analysis on it, they never said one word about replacing the 19 year old o2 sensors. It has 152,000 miles on it, and the C.E. light has been off all year, first time in a long time that has happened.

Used to get the lean codes a lot, ended up being plugged injectors with insufficient flow, also contributed to the starting issue. Been running 10% ethanol all year, no more starting difficulties and no more lean codes. No codes of any kind.

I used to have to use 91 octane or better, or the truck would ping horribly. Since starting with the ethanol fuel, I am able to now run 87 octane without one single ping occurring. I fought the starting issue for years. Tried all kinds of injector cleaner stuff. Sometimes it helped, as in Berryman's B-12. But ethanol fuel is cheaper than any of the canned stuff, and there is more of it in a tank, like about two gallons compared to 15 ounces.

Anyway, I see the C.E. light during start up, so I know it still works. And I scan my computer at least once a week, looking for hidden codes (PD codes). Totally clean ever since I started using the E10 fuel. And it starts so darn quick, I'm still not used to it starting this fast. Turn the key, and blam it's running. Hasn't done that since 2007. Always required multiple hits of the key to start, sometimes to the point the battery was dead and needed to be jumped.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals