• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to do to get aux in?

willied

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V8
Transmission
Automatic
I just got a 2006 Explorer today and I was wondering how I can connect my mp3 player up to it. It has just radio and CD, no tape deck and there is an aux button but no actual aux input. It's looking like the best way to do it is to get an aftermarket HU, but I hate the look of them. And I don't want an FM transmitter since the sound quality blows. Any ideas?

Last edited:

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
did you check the back of the headunit to check for a plug?? a lot of times they are rca inputs and you have to get an adapter to run a headphone jack.

frankserrano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
littleme's on the right track. a lot of head units (stock and aftermarket) have aux jacks in the back. all you really need to do is pull it out, plug one end of an aux cord into it, find a way to lead it out from behind, then plug it into your mp3 player and you're gravy :)

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I bet yours has one since it has an aux button...i would also look in the manual for the vehicle if you have it...may tell you where it is if you dont want to just pull it out to see.

Kingoverace

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
EFI 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
If your going to spend $100, then you can definatley find a new radio/cd/mp3 with Aux input. You'll need a wire harness adapter(speaker wires($12) and a spacer($10?) to fill extra room under radio, but a afterarket radio will please you more. I running the Sony Xplod, cheap but effective enough for me, i not a boombox person so the output is perfect.
If you do find something in back, maybe run the wire from the back and put it in the gloves box...clean look when your not using it,
gl, hope i helped.

willied

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V8
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys! I'll check it out tomorrow.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Just in case check out Wal-Mart (I saw them at Canadian Tire) and go through there Scosche(sp?) brand wiring harness's. Sometimes they have adapter to put aux inputs in factory stereos.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals