• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

where are all the ecoboost swaps?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The 5.0 is a evolvement of the 4.6L if i understand correctly.

The ecoboost worries me for long term reliability.

I do fit into that "only needs the power sometimes" catagory though. But eh, i know the 5.0 will make me happier in the long run
Given a choice, I fall in the same boat. Unfortunately, with the new Ranger, there was no choice and I hope I won’t be regretting it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 5.0 is a evolvement of the 4.6L if i understand correctly.

The ecoboost worries me for long term reliability.

I do fit into that "only needs the power sometimes" catagory though. But eh, i know the 5.0 will make me happier in the long run
Kinda sorta. Mod motors are weird in how they evolve.

If nothing else it will sound better... but Ford did cut a shift at the plant due to declining demand.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
There is really no fair comparison to old carbureted engines with turbos and very little computer control to the modern injected engines with variable geometry turbos and extensive computer control. I'd take the 3.5 EcoBoost just as quick as the 5.0 n/a in an F-150. Of course I'd rather have a turbo'd or S/C 5.0. Actually, scratch that, 6.2.

But if I'm buying a truck to pull 8k+, I'm going turbo diesel. WIll a 5.0 or 3.5 do it? Sure, but not with the same ease.

retep88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
You know what doesn't have problems at 400hp and fall apart at 500hp? An LS engine.
You know what doesn't have turbos that get in the way? An LS engine.
You know what has a massive aftermarket? An LS engine.
You know what fits more easily into pretty much everything than a DOHC V engine? A super compact LS engine.
You know what was used in every full sized GM product for over a decade, making them super cheap and easy to find? An LS.
You know what doesn't have expensive, hard to tune direct injection? An LS.
You know what has an easy manual transmission option? An LS.
I know the LS is the "obvious" choice, but if wanted a GM engine, I would have bought a GM truck where the swap would have been SO much easier. Shoot, I have seen a forum post of someone putting one in the new current gen Colorados and it just working, computer and all (made a comment about a strange letter from Onstar when he got it all working).

So, Yes, I was purposely ignoring that option because I was thinking 'ford'.

I don't know the take rates on the various engines in the F150, but Ford sure does make it sound like it's mostly the 2.7L and the 3.5L ecoBoost engines. There might come a day when someone goes to look for a Ford engine in the salvage yard and the 3.5L might be the only option (from Ford, long live the LS blah blah blah). It would be nice if there were parts to make that swap easier/possible.

(P. S. based on the used market in my area, it's 2:1 Ecoboost to Coyote in F150's.)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
(P. S. based on the used market in my area, it's 2:1 Ecoboost to Coyote in F150's.)
Same here.

Not sure if that is buyer demand or just what dealers order in or both. Hard to even find a Coyote on a lot.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know the LS is the "obvious" choice, but if wanted a GM engine, I would have bought a GM truck where the swap would have been SO much easier. Shoot, I have seen a forum post of someone putting one in the new current gen Colorados and it just working, computer and all (made a comment about a strange letter from Onstar when he got it all working).

So, Yes, I was purposely ignoring that option because I was thinking 'ford'.

I don't know the take rates on the various engines in the F150, but Ford sure does make it sound like it's mostly the 2.7L and the 3.5L ecoBoost engines. There might come a day when someone goes to look for a Ford engine in the salvage yard and the 3.5L might be the only option (from Ford, long live the LS blah blah blah). It would be nice if there were parts to make that swap easier/possible.

I get it. And they're fine engines, especially when the vehicle is designed for them from the start. But cost, physical size, tuning difficulty are big drawbacks when it comes to swapping them into other chassis which is why you don't see more swaps around.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
"There is no replacement for displacement"

Turbo or super chargers, in essence, give an engine an increased "Virtual displacement" by forcing more air into a cylinder, allowing it to use more fuel and release more energy.

So the 3.5l turbo looks to have a 5.0l virtual displacement, so at maximum power they would burn the same amount of fuel

The benefit of "virtual displacement" is better MPG when you don't use that extra displacement, you don't have that option with the 5.0l, in this example

I now understand more about forced induction than I ever did.

Always understood the idea of compressed air fuel vs atmospheric.

The statement "virtual displacement" hooked up so many disconnected wires in my brain.

You sir, may be a God.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Same here.

Not sure if that is buyer demand or just what dealers order in or both. Hard to even find a Coyote on a lot.
Ford has invested heavily in the turbo charged engine and wants to see a return in their investment. It was spurred on by the upcoming and recently changed CAFE standards that were set by the previous administration.

There may be other factors at play but I think that was a prime contributor. I don’t necessarily think that all in approach is the best one but Ford IS the only domestic vehicle manufacturer not to be or need bailed out at tax payer expense. So, they might deserve a little slack.

All that being said, I still think physical displacement is superior to virtual displacement in the long run. Plus gasoline engines aren’t built like diesel engines. I just don’t think the longevity and durability is there like one sees in a diesel. There is a reason one sees the price premium to get one.

Only time will tell is Ford got it right this time or if we’ll have a bunch of vehicles in the junk yard because the turbos pooped in the furnace.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIW Ford took out a huge loan on their own against everything down to the blue oval right before everyone else was crying to get bad led out. They were more responsible but they were not so far advanced that they didn’t need help. That said they did not go bankrupt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals