• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which 5-speed tranny to convert from my A4LD?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have two trucks...both 87 Extracabs with 2.9 V6 and A4LD. One is 4x2 and other is 4x4. I'm swapping my cab, bed, dual fuel tanks, posi rear axle, wiring harness, etc. to the 4x4. I've just killed my third A4LD, so am considering a 5-speed swap while I'm at this. The 4x4 has an electic shift xfer case. I also have a parts truck 83-85 (not sure which year as it's rolling chassis only) with a EDIT FM145, manual shift transfer case and 2.8 V6. I have the slip-yoke type driveshaft, on both my 4x2 and 4x4, but want to use the bolt on flange type of driveshaft with the new 4x4 setup...yes, I know I'll have to modify my driveshaft so that's not a problem.

Which 5-speed tranny to convert from my A4LD? Mazda, FM145 (Mitsubishi), FM146 (Mitsubishi, supposedly upgraded synchros over the FM145) or M5R1 (was told this is best and easiest to get parts for of the Ranger trannies), or?

Any drawbacks to these different setups? Different overall lengths?

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nate, something is wrong. None of the 4x4s use slip yoke rear driveshafts (though the older ones use them in front). If yours does, it's custom. All of the transfer cases have flanges on the back ends.

FM146s also didn't come in any model before 1988. And earlier models are all shorter than A4LDs.

The ONLY answer is an M5OD-R1. And it just happens to be the same length as a 4x4 A4LD. You're in Sacramento, right? There are a few good yards in town, but the best for domestic light trucks more than 15 or so years old is the Stockton Pick'n'Pull (off the Arch Rd. exit near 99).

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah my mistake...they're all flanges as was told to me in another post. :D Sorry.

Tranny is out of another parts truck (rolling chassis only) I bought...supposedly 83-85 it's a shortbed 4x4...prior owner took the body to swap onto an F150 4x4...so I don't know the year for sure...but it has a carbed 2.8 complete. The plate on the tranny is definitely EDIT FM145, And it has the tranny pan like a Mitsubishi tranny.

Yes I'm in Sacto, thanks for the tip. Where are you?

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes I'm in Sacto, thanks for the tip. Where are you?
Monterery Bay Area. But I've been known to go to Stockton if I'm having a real hard time finding stuff (like a full size Chevy as old as 1972....).

Blankstar85

Reaction score
You could actually go with the 146 if you wanted to. Its the same lenght as the A4LD also. But i would Go with the M5ODR1, for the reasons as listed it pretty much just bolts right back in. You will need to get the newer style line that runs from the master clutch to the slave. This means you dont have to bleed it anymore when you take it off since it is a hydrolic quick disconnect. Other than that everything would bolt right in.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Monterery Bay Area. But I've been known to go to Stockton if I'm having a real hard time finding stuff (like a full size Chevy as old as 1972....).
Cool, now I remember you told me that once long time ago...brain fart. :) May have to hit that yard down in Stockton.

EDIT: So what truck/engine do I need to get the tranny and xfer case out of to bolt to my 2.9?

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the t-case you have will work fine and you want the 5-speed M5OD out of a 2.9L 4x4 (not very common) or a 4.0L 4x4 (only 5-speed that came behind the 4.0L) also if you want you can upgrade to the 4.0L clutch by using a 4.0L clutch and flywheel. And if you are at the yard be sure to grab the pedal assembly and the shifter and boot. You can also grab the master cylinder but it's cheap insurance to get new hydraulic parts from a parts store to eliminate possible headaches when doing the swap.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks TireIron, so a 4.0 and 2.9 are same bellhousing pattern? The 4.0 flywheel better/different than 2.9 flywheel? All I have is a 2.8 flywheel at the moment.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Which 5 speed tranny to convert from my A4LD?

The 2.9L and 4.0L have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The 4.0L flywheel is different and has the starter ring gear offset to fit the 4.0L permanent magnet starter motor which you will also need if you upgrade to the larger diameter clutch. You should pick up the steel 4.0L backplate also when at the junkyard.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just measured and the EDIT FM145, with manual xfer is about 41.25" long from belhhousing to center of rear output U-JOINT MOUNT (strap type mount), and the a4ld and xfer combo is about 42" long from bellhousing to rear output FLANGE.

Last edited:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
...4.0L flywheel is different and has the starter ring gear offset to fit the 4.0L permanent magnet starter motor which you will also need if you upgrade to the larger diameter clutch. You should pick up the steel 4.0L backplate also when at the junkyard.
Is the 4.0 starter smaller/better than the 2.9 starter? Seems as though the flywheel off my 2.8 parts truck is a 2.9 flywheel...the pilot bearing is in the flywheel. Guy before musta mixed and matched alot. :rolleyes:

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Right. The 4.0L starter is a stronger permanent magnet type with the solenoid on the starter rather than the fender well. It's also physically different and has to be used for the 4.0L clutch swap. This is spelled out in the TRS tech section in the article about swapping to the 4.0L clutch.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a pita to change over, I have several wires that all go to the solenoid that would have to be lengthened/relocated. Is it worth it? Going to read faq now.

EDIT: Just read the faq and not sure this is worth it for a dd with 235/75R-15 tires on 15x6 rims. I'm going to junkyard to look for the M5R1 tranny today.

Last edited:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
OOPS, I re-checked tonight while pulling my BW1350 out to check it's internals and the tranny it was bolted to is a FM145, not a 146...does this make any difference?

Last edited:

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
No. The t-cases all interchange.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals