• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why i happing to me? Cant shift.

cbsremix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
little 3.0
Transmission
Manual
hey everyone Im having a small problem with my ranger 96 3.0l 5 speed when I try to shift. In the morning or when its cold it will not shift.I have to slam it into 1st its like i dont even have a clucth. I notice my reservor for my thorw out bearing was empty so i filled it and 2 days later it was empty again. i know i have toi pull the tranny out to change it out but do i also need to do the line? where should i start? thanks for the help.

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
idk if this will help but when my master and slave cylinders went out in my clutch i couldnt take it out of gear. i had to pump it up to get pressure. but it would start right up in second gear with the clutch to the floor and as soon as i let of the brake i'd be haulin ass with the clutch still on the floor. so i had took mine in to get the master and slave cylinders to get replaced

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey everyone Im having a small problem with my ranger 96 3.0l 5 speed when I try to shift. In the morning or when its cold it will not shift.I have to slam it into 1st its like i dont even have a clucth. I notice my reservor for my thorw out bearing was empty so i filled it and 2 days later it was empty again. i know i have toi pull the tranny out to change it out but do i also need to do the line? where should i start? thanks for the help.
Start by verifying it's the slave (which it probably is). Look at the bottom of where the bell housing meets the block and see if there's fluid leaking there. If not check the master cylinder, both inside the cab and the outer housing.

You will not need to change the line most likely. However, you will need to bench bleed the master and line.

cbsremix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
little 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I belive its leaking that oil has to be going somewhere only proplem now is theres snow everywhere I need it to last till spring but its getting bad when I slam it in 1st i feel like my tranny is going to drop on the street.

89PBR96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just had the same Problem Slave replace it with a oem one not a parts store rebuilt one.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't bash your transmission!

Fill the reservoir back up.

Engine OFF. Depress the clutch.
Slip your foot off the pedal so it slams back to the top, repeat, repeat.

Hold the clutch pedal to the floor, start engine. Drive away. See if that helps.

Jamming it into first with the engine running is gonna trash your trans. Just shut off the engine! You can milk it till the weather gets better by doing that (fingers crossed).

When you shift to the other gears while moving, try to match the engine speed to the trans speed, lightly pushing the shifter to the next gear until it slides in. It takes a knack, but very doable.

Every time you stop, shut it off, put it in first, restart engine, pull out!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals