• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wierd alternator problem

miles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hi guys my 89 2.9 bII has a strange problem once it warms up and the RPM drops to about 800 the alt. gauge drops to the discharge side. so i thought i'll try my alt out of my 88 2.9 ranger which works fine in the ranger once in the bII that alt.seems to be worse than the original. i reinstalled the original alt and right back the same issue the stanger part of all this is that i had tfi trouble on the weekend and cranked that engine over for three days trying to get it to fire with no battery charger the battery remained strong. so i was wondering are those alt. gauges prone to go bad thanks any opinion apreciated.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
All factory gauges in all vehicles are crap. You might get different results from one vehicle to another due to differences in pulley sizes etc. If the alternator is supplying higher than battery voltage it's usually working.

miles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks i"ll check it out and reply as soon as i can.

miles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hi guys sorry for the slow responce but i did check the voltage at the battery today under full load high beams and defroster on high. I still got 13 volts at the battery so i guess the gauge is out to lunch thanks guys !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals