• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

will a 2.3L fit in a truck that had a 3L

alex1204

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey. can anyone tell me if a 2.3L will fit in a rnager that originally had a 2.9L or 3L?... everyone i talk to just says it might. i have the motor mounts with the 2.3 so i need to know if the holes in the frame are there for it to bolt up to... i have the tranny and computer and stuff for the 2.3L, i just need to know about the motor mounts, i think... thanks :)

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
the trans will be diffrent

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
What year Ranger?

I put a 2.3 into my 88 that had a 2.9...the motor mounts were different but I just swapped in the mounts for my 2.3 and dropped the engine in...the tranny is different, but the cross-member worked for my manual transmission perfectly...

The only thing I had difficulty with was the connection to the rear end...but I got around that by simply having the 2.9 end welded onto a shaft that fit my tranny...

And I also went from a regular cab to an extended cab because my first Ranger was standard cab and the one with the 2.9 had the extended cab...that's partly why I had a problem with the drive-shaft...

But, essentially...on the older Gen IIs everything was pretty much drop in place...

alex1204

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks. that answers it perfectly:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals