• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

will the 2.8/2.9 distributor work on a 4.0L

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thanks for the confirmation on the 13mm hex head. I couldn't figure out which bolt it was in my can of fasteners from the 4.0 I dismantled.

I should point out from my photo above, I didn't get anything to "work" - I merely dropped the 2.9 distributor into the hole typically occupied by the "dummy plug" on the 4L. Heck, I don't even know if it might fight for space with the intake manifold or something on a fully assembled engine.
Right. I just thought it was cool to know, that in theory...you could distributor a 4.0

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm wanting to grab another "dummy plug/oil pump drive" and/or cam position sensor/oil pump drive plug on my next junkyard visit. I know on the 2.9 the fastening bolt for the distributor is a 13mm head - is the 4.0 the same?
Visited the junkyard yesterday and so I can now answer my own question more definitively. The hold-down bolt on the 4.0 is actually a 10mm hex head. On two different engines I was able to use my Gearwrench box wrench to loosen the bolt after clearing some stuff out of the way (wiring harness, transmission diptstick tube, etc). Once cracked loose, a stubby Gearwrench would have been a nice bonus as the swing angle is rather limited and the factory threadlocker prevents you from just spinning the bolt out with your fingers.

No way are you getting to this bolt with a socket - there's just not room - even my Gearwrench was a snug fit. A 10mm distributor wrench might be a useful tool to crack the bolt loose, but it's certainly not required.

I trashed the electronics portion on one of the parts I removed due to the thing being somewhat seized in the hole. Not a big deal as I don't plan to use the cam sensor output, just the physical drive-gear portion.

Both engines I worked on were OHV. My quick assessment was that it was easier to get the drive-gear out of those vs. the SOHC engines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals