• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will they fit? picture of rim guy is selling

chicago96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have to get new tires as they are almost bald. I currently have p224 70R14 on 14x6 rims (the gray basic steel rims which have rust on them). So I thought I'd look through Craigslist for some better looking rims. Guy is selling for $100, 4 pretty worn tires P225 70R14 on 4 rims. Looking up the wheel guide on the site they look to be 88-92 rims. It's guess. Do you think it will fit the center hub on my 96 4x2 Ex Cab? It's a long haul so I wanted to make sure they would fit. Although I had my heart set on bigger tires I guess I found out I was doomed because of my small rim set-up. Thankfully I have 3.73 gears

The rims the guy is selling vvvvvv

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/sowewo/rangerwheel14x6.jpg

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
yes they will fit if the bolt pattern is 5x4.5 i have a set of them minus center caps in 15 inch wheels

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
yeah those will fit with no problems at all

chicago96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info!

Update: I was too late in getting these rims.

I really would like to get bigger tires and even after reading the tech library and looking through countless threads I'm still confused :icon_confused:

Let's assume I already have my lift done- shackles, blocks, F150 springs or washers and that 31 or 33's would fit under the fender.

As mentioned in OP I have the puny 14 x 6 rim. I really don't mind a smaller rim as I want more meatier tires but I'm under the presumption that there are more tire offerings on a larger rim like 15 x 8. Anyone go from 14x6 to 15x8? or is my rotor assembly only able to handle the stock size?

I have 3.73 gears so I think it should be ok as it's not a daily driver; mainly a hang-out in driveway until needed for picking something up. Let's just say I would be more excited about fixing up the body, painting etc, if it wasn't sitting on embarrassing tires. Tires do a hellava job of changing the looks!

So say I get 15x8 wheels (5 x 4.5) on Craigslist, how do I decide what the backspacing or offset should be? I want it to neither rub on frame parts nor stick away from fenders too excessively. Does having an offset that sticks tires out from fenders decrease the chance that it will rub frame?

Also what other mechanical parts Am I putting more stress on with taller tires? The drive shaft, gears. I know I'd need a wheel alignment.

I know this is a lot of questions! :icon_surprised: I don't expect one to answer all! Thanks

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you'll be fine going to the 15x8 rims. the tech library already has the back spacing numbers for you. 3.73's should do ok up to about 31inch tires, depending on how you drive. it's the suspension lift that will require the alignment to be done. and your ride and handling will change some, but nothing that you can't get used to. if the lift is done correctly, any additional wear on drive train parts will be more the result of your driving technique rather than the truck parts themselves, honestly. manual vs. auto tranny will also play a part in how your truck will handle the taller tires.
all-in-all, i think you'll do just fine and will appreciate the new look and off road possibilities with your truck when you're done. good luck on your project!

chicago96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Good to know! Thanks! I'm looking at the American Racing Outlaw 2 wheels in 15x8. I'd rather have the Baja but they don't have 15x8 :bawling: Does anyone know what the biggest tire you can get on a 15x8 rim? And holy cow tires are pricey as they get bigger! :shok:

BrianD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they should fit i have ones like that on my bii if its the right pattern they will go on

chicago96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
they should fit i have ones like that on my bii if its the right pattern they will go on
Thanks Brian. Since my original question I decided I wanted to go to a larger rim and now that I know 15x8 will work fine I will order them. I gave up on looking rims from CL because owners don't know the backspacing. I just saw an ad in craigslist for P235 70R 15 tires for $150 and they look to have a lot of tread left. Although I want 31" tires I think I'm getting ahead of myself and better stick with what I can do now since I haven't done any lifting. If anything I will gain a 1/2 inch of height with these tires woot!

chicago96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
you'll be fine going to the 15x8 rims. the tech library already has the back spacing numbers for you. 3.73's should do ok up to about 31inch tires, depending on how you drive. it's the suspension lift that will require the alignment to be done. and your ride and handling will change some, but nothing that you can't get used to. if the lift is done correctly, any additional wear on drive train parts will be more the result of your driving technique rather than the truck parts themselves, honestly. manual vs. auto tranny will also play a part in how your truck will handle the taller tires.
all-in-all, i think you'll do just fine and will appreciate the new look and off road possibilities with your truck when you're done. good luck on your project!
Thanks for the info! I've decided to go with the 15x8 rim. I now just have to decide on a CL ad of guy selling P23570R15 or wait to find bigger tires. I haven't lifted so I know I can't go too big.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals