• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will uhaul rent a car trailer to tow behind a 2019+ ranger?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
305's never went vroom... 305's went "gasp choke cough ugh"

The 700r4 aint bad though. I towed nearly 8k with a 700r4 a couple times a year and it lasted to 170,000 miles.
Ha yeah no kidding. Only way I could get that car to spin a tire was during a full-lock right turn going up hill on wet road sand. Sackless.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ha yeah no kidding. Only way I could get that car to spin a tire was during a full-lock right turn going up hill on wet road sand. Sackless.
Well yea thats the 305 for you, not the 700r4 lol. 305 is basically a 350 that they choked to death to meet emissions standards. I think even a 50's 265/283 has more power than a freaking 305. I had a buddy with a 57' 283 corvette completely stock and it wasn't quick by todays standards but would move for a 50s car. No issue roasting tires on that thing. To be fair 57 vette weighed probably a 1/4 of a caprice...

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Considering I would be within the legal capacity of the truck I wonder just how much trouble I would get in... I can't imagine it would be much more than a pee-pee slap from uhaul and getting banned from giving them business..

Now, for the nannies who like to hit the report button.. not saying I'm going to break the uhaul law here if they say the wagon is a no-go behind my truck..

I do have an uncle with a car trailer I could use, and likely will if uhaul says no. I'd rather take the time and drive over to his house and grab the trailer than pay for two rentals.
why didn’t you say this before? Get your uncle to tow it wherever you want and sit on the couch and drink beer while he does it!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
why didn’t you say this before? Get your uncle to tow it wherever you want and sit on the couch and drink beer while he does it!
Couch.... classic :icon_rofl:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Well yea thats the 305 for you, not the 700r4 lol. 305 is basically a 350 that they choked to death to meet emissions standards. I think even a 50's 265/283 has more power than a freaking 305. I had a buddy with a 57' 283 corvette completely stock and it wasn't quick by todays standards but would move for a 50s car. No issue roasting tires on that thing. To be fair 57 vette weighed probably a 1/4 of a caprice...
The 305 in my caprice (brand new) made like 150hp and 250ft lbs. It was significantly less than that before it got parked cause yeah.. 250 ft lbs should be more than enough to spin one tire even on something that weighs 2 tons AND with stupid high gearing lol.

Between myself and someone I work with, he's always getting asked to drive to East bumfck and pick something up. I feel bad lol. Plus, now that I have a truck capable of hauling my toy, I wanna see how she gets along with it on the back.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I spent about 30 years playing with air cooled VW's... they're in my blood too.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Between myself and someone I work with, he's always getting asked to drive to East bumfck and pick something up. I feel bad lol. Plus, now that I have a truck capable of hauling my toy, I wanna see how she gets along with it on the back.
yeah yeah yeah, but don’t be selfish! Let Unc do it and have your beer. How do you think he’s going to feel making two trips, the caprice and then the Ranger...

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://media.tenor.com/images/b213f6c8c89f8abe04231ce6afcd7e24/tenor.gif&imgrefurl=https://tenor.com/search/tow-gifs&tbnid=pdEekmd7lJZJrM&vet=1&docid=cBrqVb4LwuvnrM&w=220&h=220&hl=en-us&source=sh/x/im

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
A 305 with the “right” cam might suprize you, I had a ‘77 nova concours. 4-door-305-3speed auto, had only 35K miles but a wiped stock cam. I put another in it with a new set of lifters. Never changed the stock 2-barrel carb or gearing (dont even know what it was, had to be high as that car could get 23 mpg) Off the line it wasn’t anything, idle loped like it wasn’t hitting on all 8 but once you passed 30 mph it would wrap that needle around like nothing else Id ever drove at the time. body was awful even though the miles were low. only gave 300 for it (in 1990) and 2 years later I sold it for 500. Shoulda kept it. oh well.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Ah yeah ok, I do like the air cooled ones. I half take back what I said lol. A superbeetle swapped with a turbo subaru motor has always been somewhat of a dream car for me.
What is with you wanting me to drink beer so badly? Ya know.. I don't have to be drunk for you to take advantage of me. I'm a cheap date buddy 😅
A 305 with the “right” cam might suprize you, I had a ‘77 nova concours. 4-door-305-3speed auto, had only 35K miles but a wiped stock cam. I put another in it with a new set of lifters. Never changed the stock 2-barrel carb or gearing (dont even know what it was, had to be high as that car could get 23 mpg) Off the line it wasn’t anything, idle loped like it wasn’t hitting on all 8 but once you passed 30 mph it would wrap that needle around like nothing else Id ever drove at the time. body was awful even though the miles were low. only gave 300 for it (in 1990) and 2 years later I sold it for 500. Shoulda kept it. oh well.
I wouldn't be surprised if the cam in my 305 was wiped right out as well. I always ran a high zinc race oil in it to try and preserve it but yeah.. probably a waste of money lol.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Keep in mind folks, the OP is talking about a 2019+ Ranger and not one of our original models. It's bigger, heavier, and has more power. Granted, it's not an F-150 but what he is asking about is within the manufacturer's limitations. Now, whether U-Haul agrees with that or not may be another story.

For what it's worth @Blmpkn, it's probably best to give them a call instead of us beating a dead horse about what they may or may not allow. If they tell you no, then it sounds like your Uncle's trailer looks like the next best option. It might even be better since I'm sure it's brake equipped. If you don't have the brake module already, there is at least one available from Ford now that is plug and play. No wire cutting or anything from what I understand. Aftermarket, if they are even offering anything yet, is more than likely going to require cutting and splicing.

I just did a quick look. The Ford controller is pricey and you may need a pig tail since the wires for the controller might not have a plug installed. There were a couple models offered on eTrailer that were pricey as well the looked like they are meant to be plug and play. Then there was your standard $80 some dollar units that you would have to slice and dice to install them.

In the end, it depends on how bad you want to be able to use trailer brakes and if you think you will use the module enough for it to be worth the cost. Me personally, I would want the trailer brakes functional at the weights you are looking at.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
You have my sympathy. My friends and I had them in high school and I fixed a bunch of them. I worked at a service station for 3 years after graduation and I built so many I bought a valve guide driver for them. They'd get a little hot and the head would fall off the #3 exhaust valve and drop into the cylinder, destroying the engine. If they managed to not drop a valve, the cam wore out. Sticking my head into a bus engine compartment after it dropped a valve, broke the piston off, then punched the rod through the block so the fan could blow oil all over wasn't much fun back in the long hair days.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Back on topic: U Haul makes up for not knowing much by being loud. In the Firestone recall days they'd absolutely refuse to rent a trailer to an Explorer owner but his neighbor could get one to tow behind his Mountaineer or Mazda Navajo.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Back on topic: U Haul makes up for not knowing much by being loud. In the Firestone recall days they'd absolutely refuse to rent a trailer to an Explorer owner but his neighbor could get one to tow behind his Mountaineer or Mazda Navajo.
They wouldn’t even allow you to tow an Explorer.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
funny how some of the exploders/escapes with a factory “tow pkg” came with the smaller hitch receiver, When I was looking into a escape it seemed that tow pkg equipped ones had around 3.30 gearing and non-tow package ones were about 3.55 (may not be “exact” on that, been a couple of years now and thats what I recall seeing for a gen 2 escape) Youd think the ones set up to pull would have the lower gearset and the 2x2 receiver, so many more drawbar options for a 2x2, and nearly all accessories for a hitch (like a bike rack) come in the bigger size anyways.
Yes, I tend to forget about the newer ranger and its capabilities, in any towing situation trailer brakes are a good idea, I pulled my old tandem flatbed 50 miles home with a 3,000 pound tractor on it with the escape, I did fine but was extremely cautious, I dont even know what my flatbed weighs but Id guess around 1,000 easily. I wouldnt use my ranger for that job, a new one- probably. You can never be too safe.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You have my sympathy. My friends and I had them in high school and I fixed a bunch of them. I worked at a service station for 3 years after graduation and I built so many I bought a valve guide driver for them. They'd get a little hot and the head would fall off the #3 exhaust valve and drop into the cylinder, destroying the engine. If they managed to not drop a valve, the cam wore out. Sticking my head into a bus engine compartment after it dropped a valve, broke the piston off, then punched the rod through the block so the fan could blow oil all over wasn't much fun back in the long hair days.
Don't feel sorry for me... I still love them. I still have a full set of tooling to do pretty much everything to a VW block and heads. Still have transmission jigs to rebuild both type 1 and type 2 boxes. One of these days I would like to get all of it back in my shop and build a few more.

The problem with number 3 was the oil cooler in the fan shroud and smallish cooling fans on early models. We always updated to offset oil coolers or full flowed the engine case to run external oil coolers... problem gone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals