• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Windshield Wipers, Power Windows, and Windshield Fluid all Gone

NATE1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
Hey

Was in the process of replacing the CD player/radio on my 2000 4.0. Must have shorted something, because the power windows, wipers, and fluid are all out now.

Just looking for a shortcut on where to look for the solution. Will check the fuses first, but if not that, I guess I just chase down relays and then wiring problems?

Mainly just looking for locations of fuses, or is there a single spot where all 3 of those things meet that I should check fist.

Thanks

Nate

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

NATE1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
I was just prepping the wiring for the new stereo. It didn’t fall into the dash or anything. And haven’t been digging around either.
Checked the fuses today, and everything was fine.
Relay next I guess?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh, this is a 2000 Ranger, I saw the 1994 in profile and skipped over it

In 1995-2003 Rangers, all the wiper functions are controlled by the GEM module which is located on the left of the radio slot
And some of the power window functions are in the GEM module as well

If radio is out you should see the GEM on the left: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8T7FlfcvgDcLOtH5JNhLCm5OreGuXYLlbdg&usqp=CAU

Has a few connectors and lots of wires, this is the Body Control Module(BCM) for cab lights, locks and wipers, plus more, if 4x4 then its the 4x4 controller

Unplug GEM connectors and plug them back in to see if wipers start to work again

GEM fuses, 10, 20, 25, 28 all in cab fuse box

If you don't have a Map for fuse boxes go here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/ford-ranger-owner-manuals-1996-2011-models-3747/
Download your 2000 Owners Manual, it will have fuse box layouts

Fuse 4 in ENGINE BAY fuse box is for power windows
Key on, try passenger side window, if it works then that fuse is OK and so is the "Accessory Delay Relay", assuming GEM is working/wipers working

The drivers side window has an added relay but same fuse, for "one touch down"

If both windows don't work then GEM module is not "online"/working, it controls the Accessory Delay Relay which supplies 12volts to both window switches
Accessory Delay Relay will stay closed after key off so you can still roll up windows but GEM will open it(cutting power to windows) when Drivers door is open
If GEM is "offline" then Accessory Delay Relay is never closed with key on so no 12v to windows

Last edited:

NATE1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
So found the GEM And the fuse. Fuse was blown. Replaced it, it worked, then blew fuse again. Replaced second blown fuse and now doesn’t work.

Will have to do some more digging I guess.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I was just prepping the wiring for the new stereo.
If you're not using plug-n-play adapter harnesses you would have to do cut and splicing between the truck wiring and the new stereo wiring. If so that's where you should look first.

Fuses blow because too much power is trying to go through a circuit, and is very much usually caused by a direct short of a power wire to ground. The most likely cause would be a miscue in a wiring splice for a new component, or a pinching of a harness cutting the insulation allowing a wire to touch grounded metal.

I'm sorry but I don't have wiring diagrams for a 2000. Having the correct wiring diagram would be helpful in tracing the GEM wires, and especially in confirming which wires are needing to be spliced for a new component (the stereo).

Replaced second blown fuse and now doesn’t work.
Never "up-amp" a blown fuse; only replace a blown fuse with a same-amperage replacement. If there's a short, and the fuse don't blow, that just means that something else will blow. If the GEM is dead with a good replaced fuse, now there's probably a burnt track on the GEM's printed circuit board, or a component on the GEM PCB has been blown.

Good luck!

NATE1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
Have the GEM removed. Found a diagram. Looking for advice on how to test it.

Seems like some components are working (interior light) and others, like I listed; wipers,windows, power windows, are still out. Board shows no physical signs of shorts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
While GEM is unplugged check that the blown fuse has 12v, what fuse is it?
25 has 12v all the time
10 and 20 only have 12v with key on
Pull out each fuse and test if one terminal has 12v key off in the case of 25 and then key on for 10 and 20

Test the 12v wires on GEM connectors with fuses back in place and key on, diagram below

There is no test for GEM, its a replacement device like the engine computer, i.e. "no serviceable parts inside", lol
2000 Ranger can use 1999 or 2000 GEM with matching options, used they run $40 to $60us$

Good place to find local source for used parts: https://www.car-part.com/
Ford Ranger
Computer box not engine <<<<part you want, called Multi-function(behind center dash)
Skip areas
YOUR Postal code
Search

New window will open
Select multi-function that matches what you have, i.e. 4x2 or 4x4, with or without keyless entry
Search

Attachments

NATE1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
so no voltage at the fuse box or at the connectors. ,
Check relay?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Which fuses have no power?

What relay?

Fuse 25 is powered by Maxi fuse 1(50amp) in engine fuse box, along with many other full time fuses, like starter relay

Fuses 10 and 20 are powered by ignition switch with key on, and by same Maxi fuse 1 in engine bay fuse box

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals