• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wipers doesn't work when engine on

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Once you have access to the yellow/white wire and have cut it, I would use a temporary jumper wire to Ground it, then turn on the key
Make sure wipers come on, that would confirm GEM issue
If they don't come on then its a wiring issue at the wiper relay or elsewhere
I'll try that, thanks!

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Once you have access to the yellow/white wire and have cut it, I would use a temporary jumper wire to Ground it, then turn on the key
Make sure wipers come on, that would confirm GEM issue
If they don't come on then its a wiring issue at the wiper relay or elsewhere
So it didn't worked.. So maybe it's not the GEM.
As a temporary solution, can I make a wiring for the wipers? Even if it's just with one speed.
But I'm in moving situation, I have tons of things to do, I cant waste tons of time looking at my harness and all relay spots.. I'll look after my move

Thanks in advance if you have a little solution ^^

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you check if fuse #16 in cab fuse box has 12v with key on?
That's the 30amp wiper fuse

If it does then you will need to go to engine bay and test for 12v at the Run/Park relay, key on
1995 owners manual here: https://www.therangerstation.com/manuals/

Engine fuse box layout on page 313

Should be 2 slots in the run/park relay base that have 12v key on from fuse 16
Relay should look like this one: https://www.partsgeek.com/assets/dimage/fulln/5526-05410658-1370865.jpg
Both run/park and wiper high/low should use the same type of relay

These are called micro relays and slots look like this: https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/images/micro-automotive-relay-wiring.jpg

The 2 slots that need to be connected together IF............you have 12volts at this relay, are 30 and 87, 30 or 87 should have 12v with key on, you want to send that 12v to high/low relay
If you put a jumper wire between 30 and 87 in the base, the wipers should come on at low speed(if key is on), IF high/low relay is OK

If that works then the run/park relay is the problem, or its wiring
You may have high and low speed if GEM is working using wiper switch

If you don't have 12v at run/park relay then thats the issue, the 12v wire from fuse 16
Try using a jumper wire from battery(12v) to slot 30 or 87, if high/low relay is working then low speed should come on
If that doesn't work............

You can then pull out the high/low relay
Then put 12v from battery to slot 87A(not 87, use 87A) that should get low speed wipers working

You can install a 30amp switch on the dash and run 2 18gauge, or larger, wires into cab to replace the jumper for an on/off switch, you should use a 30amp inline fuse if you use battery 12v

Last edited:

Partwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Wipers quit working out of the blue one day, and so I read where to clean the MF switch. Only problem one of the brass pieces got away, and couldn't find it, so I was forced to get another switch.
Didn't solve the problem. I cleaned the central timer module, and worked for three days, and did a ghost wipe, and quit working, along with the dome light. They seem to go hand in hand.
Took it out, and cleaned the terminals, and worked again for a day and a half, then when I start it, a ghost wipe, and no wipers, or dome light.

I got another one at the junk yard, and it worked for about 1 1/2 days, and it did the same thing. Before it quit, the wipers did a ghost wipe, when I went to start it.
Now the wipers don't work, or the dome light??

My mechanic said, it sounds like a ground issue?

Any ideas where to check the grounds, or any other things that might be causing this problem?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The primary grounds are off the battery, alternator, and the starter.

Get a wire brush, track them down, and clean them up. Wear eye protection, specially around battery related cables or any that are green

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals