• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wiring harness

armyhorse86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i think ive made a big mistake. i had recently purchased a motor out of an
88' ranger, the wiring was completely useless, chopped, chewed up, you name it. i had plans on dumping it into my 86' bronco 2 which has a complete wiring harness. if i stripped all of the electrical off of the 88' motor will it be ok to work with an 86' bronco 2 wiring harness? ive heard some people say yes and others say no.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
An '86 has EGR, an oversize TB, and a knock sensor. An '88 has none of those.

So, you either need the COMPLETE emissions system (including the harness and PCM) OR you need to swap long blocks. Under the circumstances, I'd suggest the latter. That would keep it an '86, and that way there are no issues with calibration, timing advance, and so on.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So, you either need the COMPLETE emissions system (including the harness and PCM) OR you need to swap long blocks. Under the circumstances, I'd suggest the latter.
+1

:secret: Just putting the '86 upper intake directly onto the '88 engine will get you most of the way there. While it's apart, you might make sure the EGR hole isn't plugged up in the old '86 upper.

If you do this without replacing the plenum gasket, make sure to test for vacuum leaks after the fact. Or just replace the gasket and not worry about it.. :) Also inspect vacuum lines while you're there.

Pete

armyhorse86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey thanks for the info guys, this thing is really kicking my ass but it will hopefully soon be up and running again

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Putting the upper intake without at least one exhaust manifold is going to cause some issues with EGR.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Putting the upper intake without at least one exhaust manifold is going to cause some issues with EGR.
That's true if he's using the '88 manifolds. I'd hope he's expecting to use the '86 manifolds since he's retaining the rest of the '86 equipment. The first thing that came to mind was swapping lower intake manifold when I read long block.

IMO, you might be able to get the engine out while just leaving the manifolds in the truck w/o having to deal with disconnecting the manifolds from the collector.

Getting the old manifolds off the '88 will probably be the worst part.

Pete

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Only the drivers side manifold is different beteen the '86-87 W/EGR
and the '88-92 Without/EGR.

Even the upper intake is the same, the Non-EGR upper intakes typically
have a blank-off plate.

and other than the larger TB on the early engine there is no other
differences between the '86-87 2.9 and the '88-90 2.9.

the differences in wiring on the '882.9 engine? it uses a different connector shell on the throttle position sensor and the EGR pressure sensor wires and connector would be missing, but those aren't part of the "on engine" harness as that is generally refered to as the "fuel charging harness" because it basically only covers the Injectors.

Please remember than Gen1's the engine bay harness and engine harness
are kinda "all one piece" there is no common disconnect point for the harness
near the alternator like there is on a Gen2 Ranger.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals