• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Would you buy a 2003 Level II with 207,000 miles

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Is the truck in Pittsburgh...? Assuming near there since that's what your location is?

I'm not scared of high miles if the price is right...and being a rust belt truck... the frame especially better be in good shape.

Sometimes you get lucky. My buddy is trying to sell off his daughter's FX4 that has a bad trans. It has over 300k on it and no major rust.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
you say it has surface rust on the cab corners.... look that over really close, I would bet that it is deeper than surface rust and you are about to have cab holes in the corner. if the rust is slight, you can have the cab corners replaced but you are looking at a bit of expense, so price the truck accordingly.

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you say it has surface rust on the cab corners.... look that over really close, I would bet that it is deeper than surface rust and you are about to have cab holes in the corner. if the rust is slight, you can have the cab corners replaced but you are looking at a bit of expense, so price the truck accordingly.

AJ
Good point, mine went from the inside out.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
That's what I’m trying to narrow down. What is priced right? Assume everything is clean, normal maintenance, and light surface rust on corners of cab. It has a 3” body lift and 33” tires with life left.

Kbb claims fair market value on the truck would be between 5 and 8 thousand, and that's about what I'm seeing early 00's 4x4 rangers listed for locally.. but the trucks I'm seeing have 40-50k less miles on them.

You say the underside is coated... whats it coated with? I'd steer clear If it's been coated with the rubberized stuff. A crafty greaseball determined to sell their rust-bucket can hide quite a bit with the rubberized undercoating.. making it look infinitely more solid than it really is.

Common rot spots include, but are not limited to: bed supports, front of the bed, frame around rear spring hangers, frame where the gas tank strap slots in to, the spare tire cradle/crossmember thing, bottoms of the doors, rad support/header panel... just bring a flashlight and check everywhere really.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You mentioned the underside was "coated". I'd be really really leery of that. If it's rubberized undercoating run away. People slap that crap on to cover rust that already exists and it simply continues to eat away at the truck underneath the coating. Salt and water build up under the rubber and it'll look great at first glance but you can poke your finger through it. The only way to correct the problem is to remove all the undercoating which is a nightmare job.

Now if it's been coated with something like fluid film or other wax/oil product the underside will tend to look oily and nasty but there won't be much rust.

tarheelpwr

Reaction score
It is in Pitt - thanks for all the info on what to look for. This is my first used, high mileage vehicle.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Kbb claims fair market value on the truck would be between 5 and 8 thousand, and that's about what I'm seeing early 00's 4x4 rangers listed for locally.. but the trucks I'm seeing have 40-50k less miles on them.

You say the underside is coated... whats it coated with? I'd steer clear If it's been coated with the rubberized stuff. A crafty greaseball determined to sell their rust-bucket can hide quite a bit with the rubberized undercoating.. making it look infinitely more solid than it really is.

Common rot spots include, but are not limited to: bed supports, front of the bed, frame around rear spring hangers, frame where the gas tank strap slots in to, the spare tire cradle/crossmember thing, bottoms of the doors, rad support/header panel... just bring a flashlight and check everywhere really.
Replacement floorpans are not even made for the 98+ trucks either...

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Nice looking is important. If it runs good I'd say go for it. You will have to own it a while to find out what it needs. 5K these days is not a lot for a car that looks nice, runs good, and is something you would enjoy to have.

tarheelpwr

Reaction score
Nice looking is important. If it runs good I'd say go for it. You will have to own it a while to find out what it needs. 5K these days is not a lot for a car that looks nice, runs good, and is something you would enjoy to have.
I think it will all come down to how the rust looks.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
They're good shocks, absolutely.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea they are great, they are just not "special" you can put bilstiens on any ranger and as been said, they wear out so at 200,000 miles I'd hope they have been replaced by now lol.

The torsen rear ends in the lvl 2 are not clutch style so they do not wear out as fast as the normal limited slip units. At 200k, provided it was cared for it is probably working as good as it did when new.

The transfer case in a 2003 lvl 2 should be manual shift which is nice since they are more reliable than the electric shift motors but don't technically function any better.

Other than that the differences are tires and trim.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I recently paid $2200 for a 2003 with 240k miles. A regular 4x4 xlt, manual trans mission 4.0, not Fx4.
The bed was too far gone to fix and I just swapped it, needs new cab corners too, but the frame is fine.

How much more is the manual transfer case and Torsen diffs worth? I think I would have paid an extra 1k for the Fx4, but not more.

Whatever you spend, when you buy it, remember you are going to want to change all the fluids and the time chain tensioners, I think all the Fx4 are 4.0sohc, right off the bat. Plus in the first year of running it you will probably find a few other things that you'll want to replace, other people have already mentioned the shocks.

tarheelpwr

Reaction score
I recently paid $2200 for a 2003 with 240k miles. A regular 4x4 xlt, manual trans mission 4.0, not Fx4.
The bed was too far gone to fix and I just swapped it, needs new cab corners too, but the frame is fine.

How much more is the manual transfer case and Torsen diffs worth? I think I would have paid an extra 1k for the Fx4, but not more.

Whatever you spend, when you buy it, remember you are going to want to change all the fluids and the time chain tensioners, I think all the Fx4 are 4.0sohc, right off the bat. Plus in the first year of running it you will probably find a few other things that you'll want to replace, other people have already mentioned the shocks.
That's where my head is price wise. He has it listed at $4200 or $4500, which I think is a bit optimistic. $3500 is more comfortable for me. The bed has a drop in bed liner which scares me too. I've heard horror stories about water being trapped and rust buckets underneath. I have a line on a good looking step side bed for $300 as well.

Would there be any issues swapping a flareside bed onto an FX4 II model? What is everyone's thoughts on flareside? Are they handy or annoying? I plan to put a camper top with storage for hunting/camping if this gets moving..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals