• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Your Truck Collision Insurance - Aftermarket Add On's Covered?

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
My Hot Rods are insured through Hagerty... But my 2019 is through State Farm.

We got rear ended and are awaiting a new hitch and rear bumper cover. So I've been dealing with insurance folks for the past 2 months.

I see folks doing extensive modifications to their brand new trucks. Front and Rear Bumpers, lift kits, different tire and wheels, you know... lots of expensive add on's.

So when you buy a $35,000 truck, and buy $15,000 worth of aftermarket parts...... if it get's wrecked, lets say totalled, are you going to get blue book value + $15,000 to replace the goodies?

Hagerty wanted photo's and data on our Hot Rod's before they insured them. Makes perfect sense. State Farm just wants the VIN... and assume the 2019 Ranger is always going to be stock?

I asked my State Farm Agent and he gave me the following:

We are not able to add specific insurance for specific parts that may have been added/altered etc on vehicles. Any damage to any such parts would be considered by claims at the time of any such damage or loss if damaged or destroyed. So as mentioned keeping documentation of any such changes is always helpful in the event such determination needs to be made. Some parts are added or altered for style or convenience but may not increase a vehicles overall value. So while parts if damaged may be considered by claims following a loss…in the event of a total loss it is the vehicles overall value that is taken into consideration and they may be able account for some but it is possible not all modifications if they don’t contribute to the vehicles overall market value.

So that sounds like "We'll let you know once the accident happens".

This isn't a big deal for my 2019 Ranger, I only have about $1,200 of aftermarket goodies, (Shrockworks Rock Sliders & Weathertech floor liners and mudflaps).

But if I had $5 grand in aftermarket parts... I'd be wanting a better answer from my agent.

What say ye TRS folks. Are you covered?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have state farm and my agent told me as long as I have receipts of anything done to my vehicle aka my 5.0 ranger and it gets totaled they will reimburse me. 🤷🏿‍♂️ They could just be lying to me but thats why my 31 Model A and 92 notchback have Hagerty. The Ram, Exploder, Ranger, and Lancer have state farm. Ram and Lancer have full coverage and the Ranger and Exploder have comp. (Fire,theft,etc) Hagerty is a expensive deductible for anything 500 I think even for glass, but state farm is 100 for glass vandalism, fire.... I'm sure I'm over paying but they never questioned me about any claim they just fix it.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
I'm of the opinion insurance agents, are the same class of people, as lawyers, and used car salesmen. The only reason I even ended up getting paid after I got hit at the start of the year was due to a bookkeeper, wondering why an approved claim never got paid. Sure I could have let them total my truck over a bit of bent sheet metal on the bed, but there is no way they should even think of sending g a vehical to the crusher for that.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
With insurance, there is always going to be the official answer and how good of an advocate your agent is.

The insurance company is going to do their best to just collect money and not pay out anymore than they have to. The agent’s job is to help you get as much as you can to replace what was damaged or lost.

If the agent isn’t doing that, time for another agent.

They should also be recommending the best avenue and coverage to minimize loss. Even if it isn’t all through them. Again, if they aren’t doing that, it might be time for another agent.

Of course, they can’t answer questions not asked either. And they might not know all the answers outside of the Insurance they are an agent for.

Like suggested above, receipts and records for any upgrades and modifications should be kept. Otherwise, they are just going to assume everything is factory stock.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My plan is to survive the crash, drag it home and either fix it myself or part it out into something else if anything happens.

I will need to check into real insurance when I get the bodywork done, right now I am pretty sure they would just see it as an average 36yo old Ranger and could likely total it as it sits right now.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When my 93 S10 got totalled it had a ton of aftermarket crap on it that cost me around $5,000. They ended up giving me bluebook value for the truck plus a prorated price for the aftermarket parts that was around $900 extra. Think of it this way if you put a $500 widget on your truck and 10 years later wreck your truck, your insurance is not paying you $500 for a 10 year old widget. You might get $50 bucks for your widget, you are NEVER getting back what you paid no matter what kind of insurance you have. So don't think cause you have a pile of receipts that's what your stuff is actually worth. Why would anyone pay you a brand new price for a used part? Insurance companies are no different, you'll get Craigslist prices.

Now the only time that's different is if it's a totally custom/classic car then you get special insurance where they will appraise it and give you a value and that's what it's insured for, end of story. Wreck it and they cut you a check for the appraised amount. But it cost 10 times what basic coverage is.

But, now in my case I took the money but then paid the fee to get the truck back (I think that was like $300?) and then parted it out since most of my aftermarket stuff was undamaged anyway. Then I scrapped the truck. So I recouped some more money that way.

Last edited:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Insurance companies will cover anything you can think of, it just costs more money for that coverage
They are like Bookies, they are betting you won't need repairs, you are betting you will, so its an "odds" thing, that they can lay off over time and other "betters"

So they look at the maximum payout, totaled, vs "bet" per year/month odds
If you want to do side "bets" i.e. full replacement value, they can do that, you just have to raise the "bet" to cover the odds/payout

Bookies don't lose money, unless a "longshot" comes in, for insurance companies thats usually an "act of God" which you may or may not be covered for, need to check
Hurricane
Tornado
Some types of flooding
Some types of fires

Yes, keep receipts and take pictures of vehicles yearly from all sides, same for your home, inside and out, pictures are free to do now-a-days, make sure DATE is recorded
So you can show accurate damage/loss to insurance company, DATED before and after pictures carry alot of weight, if push comes to shove

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yup, Insurance is government mandated gambling. And the best part is unlike real gambling where the house always wins, with insurance not only does the house always win, if they do loose (aka you get in an accident) they just charge you more to keep playing...

Off topic but I always wondered if rich people really need insurance. Minimum legal coverage may pay out if you kill someone to X amount but If you have a billion dollars why bother having insurance? You can pay more than insurance can/will anyway?

I don't bother with good insurance, I have crap liability that cost me like 300 bucks a year. I take that bet against the insurance company since I've never had an at fault accident in my life. If someone hits me they are paying not me. What I've saved in 20 some years of not having comprehensive coverage could probably buy me two new cars. My homeowners covers theft/damage on my property too so meh...

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You used to be able to Post a Bond to self insure your vehicle, its basically the amount of money required for liability insurance coverage in that State, say $100,000
And that money can sit in a bank collecting interest, but it must remain liquid, can't be invested

Most accidents have less than $10,000 damages, if its your fault, so you weigh that against yearly cost if you were to insure it through local company

You can then register vehicle owner as a Limited Liability(Ltd.) company, so if there is an accident your personal assets are safe only "company assets" are vulnerable, in most cases, anybody can be sued, lol

Not sure what states allow self insurance any more, some require minimum liability coverage thru a listed insurance company
If that's the case you just buy the insurance company, they are money makers, lol

Last edited:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My plan is to survive the crash, drag it home and either fix it myself or part it out into something else if anything happens.

I will need to check into real insurance when I get the bodywork done, right now I am pretty sure they would just see it as an average 36yo old Ranger and could likely total it as it sits right now.
Might be time for Hagerty or Grundy then. Obviously they want to know how much you drive it etc... but they will cover almost anything to my understanding.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I agree with Dirtman to an extent on this if its just some shitbox or mass production vehicle easy to find and replace go get cheap as possible and do your own work to fix stuff, If its a vehicle that holds value full coverage is good for a while. I would argue pre 92 rangers might need collectors car insurance in the next 5 years. They are getting to be a pain to find in decent shape 😕 but if you plan on holding onto these trucks for the rest of you life which seems like most of us will. It might be advisable to pick up another and store it for replacement parts down the road.

Major parts anyway cab, bed, Frame... etc....

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm wondering what I will do when it comes to insuring the new to me Bronco II.

They sure are up in value and clean ones are harder to find. I won't drive it in the winter and even during the good weather months it most likely won't be daily driven.

I'm going to have to explore the options for this with our current provider and see where it lands.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Unless you've got a bad driving record NH doesn't require insurance but I wouldn't drive without it. I've had the same insurance agent for over 40 years, actually, he owns the agency and I deal with a younger person now but I've never had a problem with them.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
It states right in my policy with grange that anything welded or bolted on is covered when referring to aftermarket parts. With my '92 Ranger I have a agreed value however.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals