Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > Ford Explorer's

Notices

Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08
Default Project: Cash 'n Carry

Alright, next build.

This is the wife's new-to-us 05 Explorer. She will replace the 2010 Escape, not that we want to get rid of the Escape, but we want to get rid of the car payment, we need something bigger, and the price was right.

A little hail damage on the passenger side, no big deal. It will need a new hood though.

Here is where hail pushed the lift gate UP, that's been fixed already.

Anyway, mod #1, the most important, and usually one of the first five things I do to any new car...

Seats:

I hate leather seats. Hate them.

So worn leather out, much better condition cloth in.

Turns out 02 Explorer seats are not plug and play in an 05. Had to do some.... surgery, yeah, we'll go with "surgery"

I had to swap the seat back, lower cushion, and covers from the 02 seat onto the 05 bottom frame because all the plugs, for the air bag stuff, and the seat motors, were different. I wasn't able to save the power lumbar adjust because the way the adjusters attach to the frame is different. So it's manual now.

For anyone who has ever wondered, this is what an Explorer looks like with no seats.

Took the opportunity to clean her up real good

The hail that dinged up the right side of the body also took out the right rear window, and sent glass everywhere. Taking the seats out was the only way to get all of it.

This is my fish tank

Just see who is paying attention.

And here is the dimly light end result, got it all in just as we were loosing the light.

The front passenger seat was much easier to convert than the driver's seat. It's all manual, so i just had to swap the seat belt buckle/pretensioner to get the right plugs.

Next on the list will be a new radio. She went for two days without her USB and aux radio inputs before coming home and telling me she needed a new radio.

Already had this picked out:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158WXGT...T.html?tp=5684

It ought to do a fairly good job of replacing the Sync system in the Escape. Can't remember the last time we actually used it to make a phone call anyway.

Then the rear end needs rebuilt. It whines at 60+. It will be getting a Trac-Loc carrier installed when I rebuild it. My truck will be donating it's LSD unit to the Explorer, more on that in that build thread though.

Then just the cosmetics to fix, ding and dent stuff, needs a hood, the wiper cowl is destroyed.

This should be a fun little project. It's at least making her understand my obsession with building my cars and making them what I want them to be. She was all over craigslist the other night looking for parts we need for this thing, getting all excited when she found something.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
RangerSVT
Oct 09 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1996 2002
Vehicle Model: SAS Ranger SC 4x4 V8 Sport Trac
I use this vehicle for: Anger Management
RangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to RangerSVT

Glad to see you got the wife involved in a build, even if it is for her. Shows her what we see in our trucks....

SVT

Member of the Turkey Bay Crew

SVT Build Thread (96 V8 Ranger)

ST Build Thread (02 V8 Sport Trac)

V8 swap Club/Info

Tuning with SCT
RangerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
alwaysFlOoReD
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: '91, '94, '80
Vehicle Make: Ford, GMC
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Ranger, Grumman Kurbmaster
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 race, 4x4, Work
alwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud of

My wife used to own a fishtank, it was an AMC Pacer.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
SenorNoob

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver / Road Terrorizer
SenorNoob is just really niceSenorNoob is just really niceSenorNoob is just really niceSenorNoob is just really nice

OMGWTFFISHTANK?!

LOL, anyway.

Looks nice. Always good when family is just as involved. Is she gonna start posting as well?

I can't tell from the pics, what's wrong with the hood?

My Baby
SenorNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute

The hood and roof took the brunt of the hail because they are horizontal surfaces. The roof no one cares about because you can't see it, but the hood looks like a golf ball, and it's aluminum, so the dents can't be pulled and have it look right again.

Plus it will probably be less than the cost of dent pulling to buy a used hood and get it painted.

Quote:
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
SenorNoob

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver / Road Terrorizer
SenorNoob is just really niceSenorNoob is just really niceSenorNoob is just really niceSenorNoob is just really nice

IDK why I didn't see that before. It's very obvious in the first pic...

My Baby
SenorNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
97RangerXLT
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab 4 x 4
I use this vehicle for: Putting wear and tear on my tools
97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute97RangerXLT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 97RangerXLT

Nice project. I would love to find a 3k Exploder in that good of condition. My wife would have told me to have fun and went back inside into the air conditioning and grudgingly come out for the steps that need two people to finish... so Kudos to the lady there.

btw, I love the pink ratchet and pink accented sockets

AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
After a 5 year review of the work of automotive engineers I have determined that every last one of them is an atheist. Looking carefully at their work it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc1024 View Post
Hey - we all have to help each other. Otherwise, we'd become an S10 forum and we'd all kill ourselves.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=13474
97RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #8
mattpresley

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: F150 Longbed
I use this vehicle for: DD, Hauler, Work truck
My credo: WTF is credo?
mattpresley will become famous soon enough

Nice build. I love this model explorer. I would have to saw 3K very well spent. Here in Arizona I had to settle on a 98 s10 4 cyl reg cab for under 3k to get my bro a decent running truck. Slim pickings on a budget around here lately. Although keep an eye on the plastic trunk trim below rear window. They all crack over time but a few of those break and than your trunk window falls out.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 AM   #9
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97RangerXLT View Post
Nice project. I would love to find a 3k Exploder in that good of condition. My wife would have told me to have fun and went back inside into the air conditioning and grudgingly come out for the steps that need two people to finish... so Kudos to the lady there.

btw, I love the pink ratchet and pink accented sockets

AJ
She wanted those seats done as badly as I did. Her only problem was when it looked like the driver's seat might not get done in time.

And that pink ratchet is as heavy as some of my Snap-on 1/2" drives.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #10
FerricOxideRecallDefect

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4.0L FX4 Level II
FerricOxideRecallDefect is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
She wanted those seats done as badly as I did. Her only problem was when it looked like the driver's seat might not get done in time.

And that pink ratchet is as heavy as some of my Snap-on 1/2" drives.
What's your issue with [p]leather seats exactly? They get hot in hot weather? Cloth seats get dirtier/are harder to clean and also tend to have cigarette burn marks when we're talking used vehicles.
FerricOxideRecallDefect is offline   Reply With Quote