• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much dirt can I put in the bed o my ranger

jagarcia89

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure this has been adressed here but I can't seem to find it with the terms I've searched.

So I gotta haul some dirt and I'm wondering how much weight I can put in the bed without risking messin something up. I got an 03 fx4 level II (I hear this has a beefier axle) with some overload airbags. and it's supercharged and I'll be goin slow.

How much can I get away with?
thanks in advance

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I put a yard in mine this past summer, no problems. The wetter the dirt is the less you'll be able to load.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
I've done a yard in the back of my 88 4x4... it doesn't really matter the axle so much as it does the suspension and tires. The guys said it would break the springs, I laughed and told him to put it in. He thought my truck was the shit... I came back 3 more times for more dirt.

make sure the jerk-off loads the dirt even, otherwise you might want to do that before you start driving away...

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
When I did it this past summer, the place I bought from told be for my truck they would only do 1/2 yard of dirt at a time. With mulch, they could do a full yard at a time.

But with airbags and a supercharger, you may be able to haul more

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
As long as the tires don't rub you can fill it up as much as you want to!!!!

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
Just remember that a cubic yard of dirt can weigh upwards of 2500lbs. Don't put any more than that in it!

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would say a yard aught to be sufficient. My dad used to haul a full yard of dirt in his '90 Dodge Dakota, pulling a utility trailer with another yard of dirt in it.

I would think your FXII Ranger can outdue some shitty little dodge.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've hauled a yard and a quarter of dirt before. I only had to go about 3 miles so I wasn't too worried about it. About 1,200 lbs will probably put your frame sitting on the bump stops. Loading more than that and you're putting a lot of pressure on things that shouldn't get that much pressure. At the time I decided to risk it, but now I wouldn't load more than about 1,250 lbs in my Ranger even with the upgraded springs and brakes (that's half the battle, getting a heavy load stopped, even a non-supercharged motor will get a heavy load started). My Ranger hauled a lot of loads of material that pushed the limits. Probably wasn't the smartest, but I was making do with what I had. I had the largest brakes I could put on the truck and it was the heavy GVWR package from the factory, plus I ran stainless brake lines and DOT-4 fluid, making it about as safe as possible. But even with DOT4 fluid and larger brakes you can still fry the brakes in a Ranger going down a grade with 2,000 lbs on it if you don't know how to handle it.

Now that I have an F-150, my Ranger sees only lighter loads. My F-150 is a heavy half package that I've upgraded the suspension and brakes, thus I feel safe hauling around 2,250 lbs at times. If I need more hauling power than that, I have an F-350 that I can use, which is a heavy 1-ton package.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't like to haul more than 1/2 a yard. Sure smooths out the ride though. I only live ~2 miles from where I get it so making an extra trip or two isn't any big deal.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just had to look in the Ranger info, the 2000 max payload is 1540#, doesn't show any difference in what rear end or if it has a SC on it. A yard of loose dirt weighs 2000#. It's about 75# per cu ft.
Dave

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
3 scoops in an 2wd xlt 2.9 5spd without rubbing. i did have to replace the clutch the next day but that may or may not have been due to the heavy load. it could have just been a coincidence that it finally blew apart at 177k the day i hauled it

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
When I had my '93 2.3L 2wd, the first load it hauled was a full bucket or gravel. Mud flaps were dragging all the way home(about 1/2 mile) but the engine/trans never complained. After I dumped that, I strapped up to a 15foot cedar tree and pulled it out...roots and all. I have to admit that it smelled like burnt clutch after that one.

myranger26105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0v6
Transmission
Manual
hauled 1 1/2 tons of sand in my truck it was sitting low but i only had to take it about 2 miles

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals