• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunners B II under construction (finally!)

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
This is getting embarrassing. Some unexpected expenses have come up postponing this yet again.
BTW, it won't get 4.56's. Not really enough of an upgrade from the 4.09's. I'm thinking 5.13's now. It'll work better with the 35 - 37" tires I want on it.
Until its assembled I reserve the right to rethink every part going in this. lol
:icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm picking up a BW 4406 TC today or tomorrow. Going to look at a V8 Exploder in the next few days. As much as I hate paying taxes, tax return time is helping this project now.

The TC is from a '97 F-150, floor shift. Might include the front d-shaft.

The Exploder is a 97, has engine problems. If it doesn't pan out another guy has just the trans (and 1 speed case) from a '96. This isn't an ideal way to small block this thing but I was having a hard enough time with the German engine, French automatic swap (into a B-2 that had one originally) as it was.

I'd like to get done gathering the major parts soon. The rear axle is proving to be harder than I figured to find. Ideal would be a '66 - 77 Bronco 9", after that I guess a Scout II dana 44 or maybe a Cherokee 44 (wheel pattern change) might be okay. I don't really want an 8.8. I'm trying to keep the track fairly narrow for streetability but with tough axles for the trails.

This thing keeps changing directions because the parts situation here is killing me. I'm trying to be patient but I actually wanted the truck running last year. When I have a little money theres nothing. When I'm broke something comes up.
Mind you, this is transforming from just a simple 4.0 swap. I hope by changing most of the drivetrain and suspension to stuff from somewhat heavier duty models this gets easier to piece together.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up the 4406 T case tonight. Unbolting it from the trans in a downpour sucked but I got it complete with shifter mechanism (less the actual shifter) and the F-150 front driveshaft for $300. Compared to the 1354 I have for the Bronco II - this things huge. :icon_thumby:
I'll take a pic or two tomorrow.
Here ya go:

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Another couple:

Thing hanging over the top is the shifter mechanism. I don't think the shifter itself will be hard to find (or fab, if necessary).

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Think you could take a couple measurements for me? I want to see how much bigger the 4406 is than the 1356. Could you measure the from the center of the input shaft to the center of the front output shaft, and from front mounting surface to the end of the tail shaft, and the width of the case at the widest point?

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sure thing Dieseldane,
First off the 1356 full size truck transfer case is wider. My comparisons are with a 1354 '93 Ranger case. (Comment from Explorer forum: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2070439&postcount=230 )

These measurements are probably not perfectly accurate but will do for comparisons. front mating surface to end of tailshaft housing: 21 3/4".

Center of front input shaft to center of front driveshaft 10 1/4"

Overall width 22" (could be trimmed though, as there are cast lugs on either end.)

'97 BW4406 next to '93 BW1354.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Two more for comparison purposes:

:icon_thumby:

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
Thanks, now I need to go measure my 1356 and see if it would be worth it to find a 4406 to use in my b2.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
If your gonna, try to get one from a pickup. Most Suv's had the electric shift and from what I gather, its not worthwhile to try to convert to manual linkage.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone recommend a good, flexy rear suspension for a B-II? I know the Chevy 63 inch won't easily fit, so its kind of out.
Just waiting for some things to come through. A Scout II rear axle next weekend. Has 4.10's and disc brakes already. (cheap, too.)

Also reevaluating putting leaf springs in the front, whether to V8 it right away - gas isn't getting any cheaper. Might just get a V6 parts rig to get it running. Its been apart way too long already.

*Edit:* Just bought a '92 Exploder as a running parts bucket for $450. Its tires will go onto the '96 Sploder cause the rears are as bald as an egg. I'll salvage whatever else I can for the Bronco II. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'll post pix when I get the '92 here. And yes, I'm aware of the 'pics or it didn't happen' policy on this board. :D
The Craigslist ad looked like this:
92 ford explorer - $450 (Richmond)
'92 Ford Explorer, automatic. 221xxxKM.
Runs and drives, lots of new stuff put in.
Minor issues only.
Please only calls.

Its from an estate sale with messed up paperwork.

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I got really good results with my explorer/ranger combo pack and the rear of my truck is lighter than a BII (fiberglass bed). Coupled with a good set of shocks, it's the perfect DD setup. The leaf springs have 7 leaves per pack

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I got really good results with my explorer/ranger combo pack and the rear of my truck is lighter than a BII (fiberglass bed). Coupled with a good set of shocks, it's the perfect DD setup. The leaf springs have 7 leaves per pack

That's exactly what I'm looking for, Brinker. Thank you.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
My old laptop died and I lost all of the info and passwords stored on it. The new laptop is better (faster) but so far I can't upload pix from my camera. I'm working on it.
I did nothing with the parts truck here yesterday picking up the Scout II Dana 44 rear and the laptop after work. I'll post pix as soon as I can.

The Scout II rear axle has the same width as '93 and later Rangers. Got this from a Jeep guy for $175.00. 4.11's aren't properly set up. The disc conversion uses 4 door Tracker discs and '96 Mustang Cobra calipers, so I'm told. I'm converting to a 5 on 5 1/2 wheel pattern anyway. (pix go here!)

Edit: I can barely find the pictures folder and so far, no way on retrieving pix from the camera. Sorry.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ordered the inner axle shafts for the D44 (73 Bronco) front today. $154 per side from G2. 4340 chromo shafts. Idk, 2 weeks or so? In talking to Josh and Jon at NSOR, I have the feeling that both axles are really different from what they usually see. Jon would like to see me use a 3 link up front, a kit thats usually a Toyota thing. I have basically nothing there now so its a good time to explore options.
Learned today: A Detroit locker is over $900. An ARB is over $1100. A Lock-Right is $413. Sadly, I really want the Detroit. :bawling:

Edit: My hook up guy Tyller is back at NSOR, now the Detroit locker is $627. Its do-able.

Found a trick to make the D44 much stronger without a much bigger price tag. Its the Jana k4 from Jantz Engineering. http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=detail&pro=jana_k4 This puts a 8.9" ring gear and larger pinion into a standard D44 case. They also make kits to put D50 r & p's into high pinion 44 units and D70 gears into D60 housings. I'm hoping to collect the parts to do this to my 44 rear. I'll use the Auburn and standard stuff in the front.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals