• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunners B II under construction (finally!)

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The change to the '96 Sploder AC looks to be a massive PITA. But, the smaller unit might make other changes easier down the road.

Basically, the rectangular opening moves about 4" to the right, if you were wondering why I'd bother. It also works. The B-II one didn't.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I want this in there so bad. But I gotta make more changes yet.

Things you can lol over: The bottom of a shopping cart I'm using as an engine stand. I also already have the exhaust, starter and T-case shifter installed. The bag of cement powder beside an already heavily stained concrete floor. :icon_rofl:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Quick update. Started adding the '96 Explorer hood hinges. Never cared much for the prop rod.
Old school:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
It occurred to me as I was drilling out the spot welds that if I got this all wrong I was seriously screwing up my truck. Oh well...

Bit more drilling, a lot of prying and off it comes.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Had to take out a tiny bit more metal to clear the newer style setup. About 1/8" in total. Centered it as best I could as well.

Yeah. Its not square in this pic. I ground more off that side after trying it.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
And it fits. This system does away with the prop rod that first and second gen RBV's had. I'm not implying it didn't work, just that I didn't like working around it. I'll add some extra clearance around the bottom left of the bracket later.

I'm gonna use self tapping screws to mount these and before I finish this I'll paint it. Maybe tomorrow.
I'll also add that I'm adamant about doing this rig my way. I want the underhood area to be more like the 1995 to 2001 Explorers since they're real common in junkyards and cheap used. These used SOHC V-6 and 5.0 V-8 power, one of which might end up in mine one day. Things like the HVAC system were smaller to fit the larger engines. BTW, this isn't how you should build yours - just how I'm doing mine.

Tomorrow I'm going to drop the brake booster to do the left side.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for the late posts. Been both busy and poor. And to top it off, I missed out on a FREE running, driving '93 Explorer! A ton of what I need and like $150 a ton for what I don't. Now that pissed me off. :annoyed:

Edit, May 29: Found a 4" lifted 91 Exploder with a cracked head as a parts truck. Need to scrape up around $900...

Edit, June 16: Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm on this. Just waiting to start a new job. As usual, when theres no money to spend theres a TON of parts and parts trucks available. One of the major advantages of RBV projects are the availability of parts and cheap vehicles to choose from. I'm still here lurking but need a boost on the B II.
I know: :lame:

Another edit. Aug. 2: Okay. Finally heading into a weekend with (I hope...) some cash to spend. Bronco is very high on my list of stuff to do. Hell, I wanted to be driving it by now. :(
Nope. Didn't happen. Again. Although more people have let me down on parts and vehicles.

This is getting depressing...

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well. After looking high & low for the engine harness (once even made a deal on one that the guy decided to sell out from under me), I've decided to just load the 4.0 into the BII.

Its in there now and I took pictures but damned if I know where my computer hid them. It also apparently erased the originals.

The 4.0 bolts in on the 2.9 mounts (for those of you that haven't done it yet.)
Still making changes as I go but progress is progress. Right now its changing to a manual 1354 T-case from the electric.
If I find the pix I'll post 'em.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic

Lousy pictures, I know. But I'm back on this thing now. (proof? lol)

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Also made it to a few junkyards and picked up the floor plate, rubber boot and plastic bezel for the manual TC shifter. Think I might check back for an Exploder Sport carpet. Mines pretty gross.

Edit (9.22.12): After a drought with no parts trucks coming up, I might have a couple coming my way. I need a daily driver soon as my Super duty will need injectors sooner than later. One parts truck (they're both Exploders) will have to become a driver for a bit. Injectors for the diesel are damned expensive and I can't afford them for a bit. The Sploders are a red 93 sport with an A4LD stuck in drive (dead?)with 3" lift and 31's. Likely parts for the B-II. The other is a 98 with a rebuilt automatic, no other information and no idea why she accepted my $350 offer. If all goes well, I might have both in the yard by tomorrow afternoon.

Of course, 20 minutes after posting he above edit, the guy with the 93 emails me to say he "had to get rid of it." So its gone. The 98 has a blown engine but its real clean. 15 k on the rebuilt trans. I need a flatbed trailer soon.
Next morning the 98 was gone. I'm losing hope on this swap and haven't been "into it" for a bit. Any advice?

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
My SD died. :bawling: Its not worth what it needs in repairs.
I'll shop for another someday, I loved that thing. Right now I' m hunting for a Ranger or Explorer for daily driver / winter beater. I've sent off 21 emails and made a dozen calls this weekend and still have no wheels.

The B-II has been getting little attention lately. I tend to be frustrated with it and with the rainy season here I'm not very motivated. Working in the dark, under a tarp sucks. I won't give up but until I get motivated it won't get much attention.

I hope having an RBV for a dd helps my motivation.

Last edited:

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Shit man that sucks about your SD.

I seem to have the same luck with parts vehicles though, it seems like I'm always 5min late on calling them, broke, or out of town when the really good deals pop up.

Keep us posted on the transformation though.

Andrew

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. The new daily ride is a bit ... umm.... different. The high roofline says so.

And I bet not many have a TV & VCR in their headliner. Strobing lights too. lol

Actually, I've never heard of a Centaurus conversion on an Explorer before. But its pretty funky! :yahoo:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
VCR.

There are video game hookups in there, plus there are switches to control a cassette deck (up in the raised roof) in the back of the console (not pictured, yet)
Have any of you guys n girls seen one of these Centaurus conversions before?

Edit: Its still a $700 beater but odd enough I don't wanna hack it up. The mileage isn't as good as I'd hoped either.
They were built by a van conversion company in Indiana before TV s and video players were common in SUV's. If I decide to do anything interesting to it I'll start a new thread, k?

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Smurf Mobile. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. :icon_rofl:

Edit: I wrote in post 71: "I hope having an RBV for a dd helps my motivation." Its working. I absolutely need another parts Explorer. I need things for both now.

And... I will start another thread for the Centaurus after I actually finish one of the things I've started. :dntknw:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals