Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > 4WD Systems

Notices

4WD Systems Transfer Cases & Locking Hubs.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
Denisefwd93

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT 4X4
I use this vehicle for: daily driver maybe off road someday
Denisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura about
Default 2 vs 1 pc driveshaft.

I've read the swap tutorial on the tech pages seems pretty clear and somewhat low-tech.

Does it make sense to swap in a one piece drive shaft on a daily driver that is not going to be lifted more than 2 inches if at all?

The existing support bearing is not bad yet but it is "sloppy"

1994 supercab 4wd 4.0
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 06-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

No. It doesn't. On a stock truck with no real issues with the carrier bearing it doesn't make a lot of sense, since there are no performance gains to be had.

I did it on my truck when I swapped transmissions and needed a new drive shaft due to a length change.

When the carrier goes bad then I would do a cost analysis on it, keeping in mind that many after market carriers are not going to be nearly the quality of the original.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Denisefwd93

Denisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura aboutDenisefwd93 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the reply! I was looking, there are different sizes, one of the larger ones is made by anchor, so I guess they would have larger bearings possibly, possiblynot.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

I don't know what makes one take one bearing or the other I just know you need the right one.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

Just did the carrier bearing today on my '94 extended cab 4wd
$100can for carrier bearing
$38can for middle u-joint, it was bad, both end u-joints were fine

Just extra parts that can fail on a two-piece drive shaft setup that you don't have on one-piece drive shaft
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
Denisefwd93

Well I called a few yards nada I don't get it with these yards around here. there are quite a few yards selling on eBay but it doesn't look I'll get this one piece drive shaft for less than $100 unless a goodly soul on here as one. So for now I'm going to get the carrier bearing.

Last edited by Denisefwd93; 07-08-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Denisefwd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

with a low power stock type engine and normalish tires....hell no. just like the cooling system...i just wouldnt fawk with it. but it is one of the things i hated most about my truck when i first got it....that hop it had. i was sooooo happy when i went to 1 piece... then i smashed it...

with bigger tires and mildish wheeling its a tough call.

the one piece shaft if you like to off road brings more risk of damage. i have destroyed quite a few unfortunately.

i am actually thinking of going to a two piece style like casey cravins come up with...it is brutally effective and uses a hardmount pillow block. you can build a heavy wall short rear shaft that is the same size as the front doing that and have redundancy and space by only keeping 1 spare.

sooo....not much call for that.

so whatever is most cost effective is what i suggest...if its within 50 bux it might be worth the effort.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Denisefwd93

I'm going to go for the carrier bearing I'm not a maniac I'm not going to be 4-wheeling other than snow in the winter time.I used to think it would be cool to go to the jersey and Delaware beaches but that doesn't really even interest me anymore.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Denisefwd93

Revisiting drive shaft issues. I do have the carrier bearing and imagine at some point we will be changing it out I've started wondering about 45- 55 mph shake in the truck. Hank insists that when he drove it back to his house the night I bought this truck, it did not Shake, when we changed out the transmission he didn't give any thought to phasing the two piece driveshaft I did my best but now, I'm wondering,

Are there any Factory marks to align the spline on these two piece driveshafts???

I found a discussion on another Forum here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...15-f350-2.html
Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #10
ericbphoto
Supporting Member

Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really nice

I think there is an article in the how to tech section that explains this. If not, I know there are some great articles and videos online. Basically, you want the u-joint at one end of the shaft exactly 90 degrees from the one on the other end. Anything other than that and they fight each other as the shaft rotates.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!