Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks (Street)

Notices

1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks (Street) Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

Old 04-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #1
OkayKafka

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
OkayKafka is on a distinguished road
Default Ranger Rick. 1987 Ranger

This is the 1987 Ranger that I just picked up from Craigslist for $1100 dollars a couple weeks ago. I was told that it has a motor from a 1985 Mustang SVO that had the turbo taken off: but, I'm pretty sure after looking around that it is the original 2.3L 4 cylinder engine and the guy I bought it from got lied to, or lied to me. The engine works pretty well right now. Maybe running lean and needs a couple new pulleys in there.
The shifter is sloppy so I have a rebuild kit on the way.

So far I've just been just been doing some of the stuff that should have been done a while ago. I found out pretty quickly that pretty much all of the seals around the glass and doors are shot (not sure about the windshield) and were letting in water. Lots of water. Ive been cleaning up a fair amount of rust in the cab but there are only two spots so far that I have had to cut and weld new metal into. After that theres only some welding on transmission tunnel and firewall (which I may not need to do. Ill get to that.)

I replaced most of the bad seals. I tore the old ones out and I'm pretty sure that there are fossils younger than those seals. I need the rear window seal but I hacked something together that I hope will work until I have a new one.

As I alluded to Ive been doing a lot of body work so far. I welded the new panels into the floor and am filling holes along the bed where I think a canopy used to be. I really enjoy working on auto body (had plans to do it as a living at one point but life changed) so its been fun to clean up the surface rust and get the little dents out before it eventually gets painted.

Ive been working on the brakes so far since they felt mushy. Looked at and have new pads rotors and calipers on the way for the front. I tore into the rear drums yesterday and found a nice surprise. The wheel cylinder is trashed. It actually shot nasty fluid out all over the place. I have new pads and hardware along with two wheel cylinders on the way. After I get all that in I plan to do a full flush of the system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7uEDsK01PQ

Someone ghetto dropped the front by cutting the coils. It doesn't work and seems pretty damn dangerous to me. That and it looks damn goofy as the ride looks weird and the suspension bounces.

After that Ill just be working on cleaning things up and doing a full and regular tune since I don't know when the last time that happened.

Eventually Ill be getting better interior parts. The bench seat looks like it was fed up with being sat on about a decade ago.
I need to figure out a wiring issue on the firewall. Looks like instead of putting connectors on the wires for the fuse box someone just cut a bigger hole So I have to fix that at some point.

I'd like to build up a 2.3L turbo motor but I have enough to work on so far so thats far into the future.
Attached Images

OkayKafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 04-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #2
OkayKafka

More pictures.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
OkayKafka

I've been looking at fixing the front suspension and making it level. Im looking at getting the DJM dream beams and getting new springs and shocks.
My main question comes from what kind of compatibility they have with upgraded dual piston brake calipers. I'd like to upgrade the brakes to dual pistons from a newer ranger. I know that on my 87 I will need to get I-beams along with spindles/ knuckles. My question is if the beams are able to stand in as that upgrade or if I need different beams. I'd like to be able to have the lowering beams in there done can upgrade the brakes: but at the cost I only want to do it once.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
OkayKafka

I just finished up the brakes. The pads were absolutely haggard and crumbled in my hands. I bled the system and the pedal feels so much better. I'm shocked to think that past owner thought that was okay and never looked at the rear drums. The cylinders had probably leaked for a really long time. So much grime!

I'm at a road block trying to get my lowering beams in since I can't get the bolts undone from the radius arms. They are just stuck and not going anywhere. Eventually I'll be able to get them undone but for now my beams, knuckles and new ball joints are going to have to wait.

I've mostly been working on the body and patching the floor. I still have some welding on the transmission tunnel to do And I'm debating if I want to cut it out and put make a new tunnel whenever I can. Figure that I just need to seal it up from water for the time being.

It's likely that I'll be going to tech school for auto body so it's exciting to possibly be able to get a lot of the work done that I need to and do it right. The truck will be looking really good after that for sure.
Attached Images

Last edited by OkayKafka; 06-30-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Hey, that brake pad is no good.

I'm excited to see body work getting done on this thing.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
OkayKafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
Hey, that brake pad is no good.

I'm excited to see body work getting done on this thing.
Those are actually the new pads ----

On both the front and rear I just took off the drivers side brakes and after having a couple moments of shock I decided to replace all the hardware except the drums which seemed pretty okay.

I'm pretty excited to be doing the body work on this. It'll be pretty simple but doing this project has made me remember why I wanted to do it for a living and sparked me going back to school for auto body.

The welded parts aren't great but are better than before. I just don't have the tools (I will take full advantage of the tools at school when I start going) I need to make it look pretty. The patches I did so far are a bit lacking but they work. Welded a bit and then sealed it off with fiberglass filler.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #7
OkayKafka

hopefully you can see just how bad the rotors are in the photo. Really deep groove in them both. It's just time
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2016, 12:19 AM   #8
OkayKafka

My bench seat. Think that'll buff out?

I took the seat out when I realized there was a good amount of rust on the floor pans. I've been able to grind and paint away without worrying about setting the seat on fire (only way I could possibly make it worse). Eventually I think that I'll replace it.

Updated pictures to come soon. I've done a lot of body work whenever I've had time. There's been a good amount of rain every time I start so it's been slow. It also looks nasty right now since I haven't really gotten all the paint smooth before putting primer on to cover up any bare metal
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #9
OkayKafka

Default Ranger Rick. 1987 Ranger

Here's some of the progress I've made in the body work lately. Right now I've been using the Krylon Rust Tough primer whenever I'm done for the day. I still have a fair amount of dent smashing to do.

My plan right now is that when I get into school I'll be using Por 15 primer on this. Not sure sure what color it will be in the long run. I'm thinking either a semi gloss black or a dark olive drab

Old 07-09-2016, 02:51 AM   #10
OkayKafka

I changed out the oil, filter, and plugs today. It was the first time I had gotten a view of what the inside of the engine is looking like. The plugs looked like they weren't too old. No real discoloration or imploded anything. There was a bit of what I think is broken down anti seize. Was kinda oily and only on the threads. Not thinking it's much since it's not on the diode or anything.

Was similar story with the oil. It was really grimy but it was smooth with no sludge or derby. Just dirty.

Think I'll be trying to do the transmission fluid. Pretty sure it's leaking from somewhere but not exactly sure where. I had to clean it up a lot when I got the truck since there was fluid of some variety (wasn't red) on the transmission. Think it may be from the shifter seal or the speedometer cable. More to be seen.

Oh yeah, my wiring is a rats nest. Not sure where a lot of it goes but I'm sure it'll be fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk