• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 2.8 V6 with a coolant leak, and some tranny issues, could use some help

Austin.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey yall, I bought a 1984 ranger a while back, shes just been sitting out the the driveway, but now that ive got her going, ive noticed a coolant leak coming from somewhere behind the engine, and the transmission looks damaged, id appreciate any help yall could offer as to what the problem is, and how to fix it. Thank you very much for any insight.

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
On my '84 the freeze plugs are corroding through (still the originals). Several are dripping, and not looking forward to it, as I might as well pull the motor and do all of them.

There are freeze plugs on the ends of the heads that'll make coolant drip from where your pic shows. Mine has a leak there too.

I think that there's coolant flow through the intake manifold, so that could be a possibility too.

>>> An inspection mirror would really help you get a look at the back of the motor to help you pin down the leak source. A couple of bucks, and it's a handy tool.

I'm not seeing where the transmission looks damaged.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
There are usually freeze plugs in the back of the block. If you pull the engine I'd replace every one of them on the engine while it's out. The cost peanuts compared to the damage overheating will cause.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
There are freeze plugs on the ends of the heads that'll make coolant drip from where your pic shows. Mine has a leak there too.
There are usually freeze plugs in the back of the block.
Now that I think about it, my big leaker freeze plug is below the head on the back of the block.

Been a little while since I last looked at it (older folks need warmer weather for non-emergency wrenching).

Austin.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
On my '84 the freeze plugs are corroding through (still the originals). Several are dripping, and not looking forward to it, as I might as well pull the motor and do all of them.

I think that there's coolant flow through the intake manifold, so that could be a possibility too.

>>> An inspection mirror would really help you get a look at the back of the motor to help you pin down the leak source. A couple of bucks, and it's a handy tool.

I'm not seeing where the transmission looks damaged.
Thank you for the info,
Is pulling the motor the only way to fix them? preferably id like to repair it, the easiest way possible.

as far as the transmission, its missing a bolt, and the bottom of it looks chipped, and bent

Austin.J

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
There are usually freeze plugs in the back of the block. If you pull the engine I'd replace every one of them on the engine while it's out. The cost peanuts compared to the damage overheating will cause.
Would pulling the engine be the only way to replace them, or is it possible to do with the engine still in it?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Is pulling the motor the only way to fix them? preferably id like to repair it, the easiest way possible.
So would I!

But on mine I have at least four that are weeping, and the one on the rear of the block has let go pretty good.

First, you should try to confirm what exactly is leaking. And also look at all of your other freeze plugs too. Here's what they'll look like when they're "weeping":

freeze plugs.jpg

If the one on the back of your block is leaking, you'll really need an inspection mirror to see it, and it'll damn near be impossible to get to it, to pop out the failed one and drive in a new one. If the old one could be pried out with the motor in place, an expanding rubber freeze plug replacement might work.

If one freeze plug is corroded out, the others are likely right behind it (in my opinion). In my case, it's cut and dry; I need to replace all of the freeze plugs. Really a bummer, too, as they're only 40 years old.

I don't recommend or suggest this, but stop-a-leak might only delay the inevitable, and possibly (likely?) cause other problems.

Again, first step is to figure out where your leak is actually coming from.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Stop leak like Bars Leaks might plug the leak but it will also plug the radiator and heater core. If a 2.8 has plugs on the back of the block they would be under the bellhousing and behind the flywheel. I haven't had a 2.8 down to the bare block since the 90's so I'm not sure if there are rear plugs.
Don't put off replacing the freeze plugs. My former brother in law had a Boss 351 Mustang, the temp gauge went up a little high and then settled down one day while he was driving. By the time he got home the engine was toasted. A seeping freeze plug leaked coolant, once the coolant got low enough to expose the temp sender, the gauge went back down because air doesn't conduct heat as well as coolant.
I wouldn't use rubber freeze plugs. There are replacement expandable plugs that have a nut in the center, you tighten the nut once they're installed and expand the plug to seal it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals