• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger Project

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Great job so far. Thats gonna look awesome when it's all done. You keeping it matte black?
Thanks. I’m painting it in Upol Raptor. Thinking two tone in classic style like this? Black and tinted gunmetal grey.
IMG_4485.jpeg

Last edited:

maddyn

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/91
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
oooo, I'm liking that monochrome color choice. Planning on doing the same thing with the raptorliner and trying to match the stock two tone paint scheme. I have the deep emerald green and tan. I did the underside of the cab in a forest green tinted raptor, but it looks more olive drab to me, needs a little more blue in it or something. When the time comes I am going to try and do a little color matching and get it closer

Attachments

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I’m kind of murdering this truck out a bit, but not 100%. I wanted to keep a few shiny parts like the grill and the tail panel, box rails, etc and still thinking about the mirrors.
Almost going to have the Iron Man “War Machine” variant colour scheme. Might have to call this truck “Rhodey”. 😜

Last edited:

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got the cab mounted. Now working on the OEM battery tray from the donor vehicle.
time to plug in the harness and connect all the mechanical stuff.
Loving how this truck sits. Even with the wee roller turbines. Lol.
IMG_5109.jpeg
IMG_5108.jpeg
IMG_5110.jpeg
IMG_5112.jpeg
IMG_5113.jpeg
IMG_5111.jpeg

Last edited:

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well let’s see if this fixes the gas gauge issue? Swapped the 87 sending unit onto the 91 pump. Just figuring out the last of the wires and what they are, and hopefully will be able to turn the key shortly. Swapped a few other parts from parts trucks. One thing with the 87 cab swap, you also have to swap part of the steering shaft near the steering box as they are slightly different. Working on a custom shifter plate that should accommodate some cup holders too.
IMG_5281.jpeg
IMG_5280.jpeg
IMG_5273.jpeg
IMG_5271.jpeg

Last edited:

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Made a custom box mount for my rocker switches with some sheet metal I had laying around. Painted to match the dash. Think I’ll run my front light bars, rear lights, and maybe a compressor with them.
IMG_5284.jpeg
IMG_5285.jpeg
IMG_5289.jpeg
IMG_5288.jpeg
IMG_5291.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Nice work on the switches.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice work on the switches.
Thanks. It was dual purpose install, as the previous owner had drilled holes under that mount for cheap light switches that were pretty ugly. So I have hid those nicely with this.
IMG_5301.jpeg

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Enjoyed going thru your build. You have been doing a great job and look forward to your progress.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, not a lot of update, but the Ranger is finally fully swapped and running!! Just going to clean up the harness, loom everything, and add my extras like lights, gauges, a night switch, stereo etc. Going to take advantage of that distribution box for some electrical extras for sure. This wiring was a chore with a cab swap, no question and needless to say I’m glad I’m past that in the build. Lots of 2 steps forward one step back stuff. Dash in and out multiple times, added a check engine light as my dash had a blank in there, fuel sender pulled, tweaked and re-installed, working great now. That kinda shit.
Ordered everything I need to Raptor this and my BII.
Sandblasted, epoxy primed, painted and cleared with 2K my winter wheels and set them up with some brand new studded rubber. Used a 3 inch hole saw to carve out the centre caps for the manual hubs.
IMG_5477.jpeg
IMG_5983.jpeg

Last edited:

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Haven’t had much time in the last few weeks to work on the Ranger, but I did spend a tiny bit of time working on wiring up gauges, and interior courtesy lights and map lights to the door pins etc. Snuck a quick vacation in there to Barrett Jackson too. 👍🏻. No Rangers there but old Ford Broncos and F series trucks are going crazy $$.
Also got a sneak peek at the floor plate I had made. It’s far from done, but I will be adding cup holders of some kind and powder coating it. Also plan on making a version with the shifter hole only, for those trucks with electric 4x4, as well a version for the FM145/146 like in my Bronco.
image000000.jpeg

Last edited:

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got some time in the shop today. Finished the gauge and interior light wiring. Map lights work with the door switch and independently. Made a cover plate for the AC bracket since I don’t have AC.
Now it’s on to stereo install, and design the cup holders for the shifter plate. At least the dash is back together again. Let’s hope it is together for the last time. Feels like I’ve installed and removed it a half dozen times. lol.
IMG_6092.jpeg
IMG_6093.jpeg
IMG_6089.jpeg
IMG_6088.jpeg

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Looks good. I like black interiors in old Rangers.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, I noticed the driver door wasn’t nearly as straight as I first thought. Blocked it down and added skim coats of bog. Blocked and ready for sealing now. Also ordered a single din 10”
screen stereo. It’s huge and will take some serious getting used to, or may just go into one of my many other projects like my 50 Buick custom console? Haven’t decided yet.
IMG_6163.jpeg
IMG_6161.jpeg
IMG_6159.jpeg
IMG_6158.jpeg
IMG_4363.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals