• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ranger Transfer Case New Speed Sensor?

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey guys- I'm setting up the 4x4 drivetrain for the conversion on my 1994.

EDIT:

Does anyone know where I can find a new speed sensor or whatever is the device in the picture?
I can't find it anywhere and the wiring on this one is corroded all the way into the sensor. I'm attempting a redneck repair to get it going, but I'd like to actually replace it if I can get one.

------------------------------------------------

The transfer case motor is locked up so badly I can't even get it apart so I bought a new one. The problem is, I couldn't find a new one with the speed sensor (I think that's what it is) included. The pigtail on the new motor has the slots for the sensor wiring but before I break everything trying to unpin the harnesses... does anyone know where I can obtain a new sensor? The wiring is completely shot from pin to pin (and into the sensor housing) so I'm hoping to actually replace it, but if that's not an option I'll get creative here.

I've searched every word/phrase I could imagine for this stupid thing and I'm coming up completely empty.

Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If anyone has a link to the pins I'd need to run new wires and just hope I can get enough bite on what's left at the sensor, I'd be open to that, too.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1994 Shift motor should have come with 10 pin connector

The part you want is called a BW1354 sensor assembly, but no longer available as far as I can tell
Wrecking yard maybe but when shift motor is sold that sensor usually was taken with it as its attached to connector

It runs to the 4x4 Controller, and just used by the controller, no connection to "speed" system in vehicle

It connects to the light Green and light Blue wires on the truck side of the 10 pin connector, in diagram it lists pins 4 and 5
There is no polarity as far as I know, it should be a VR sensor

It's primary use was to prevent shifting into 4Low while moving, but it may also have been used for "shift on the fly" and activation of electric clutch, but I see no reason why clutch wouldn't be activated every time shift motor was activated, wouldn't hurt anything

In 1994 and earlier the 4x4 controllers had no connection to Vehicle speed sensors(VSS)
In 1995 and up they did, so that transfer case "speed sensor" was dropped

NCA on wiring diagrams means "No Color Assigned", parts that came/come with wires attached, pig tails, were often NCA

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The box I have (old Dorman) calls it a "transfer case motor"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals