• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 ABS

Bolo4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I started my upper/lower control arm and new Code 1 torsion bar install and upgrade. I also found someone local selling two new Motorcraft 4x4 hubs (with seals and snap ring retainer) from a 1998 he no longer owns so I bought those and will be installing those as well. Well, I ran into an issue. The hubs he had have the ABS wiring, but it turns out my old hubs do not have ABS. HOWEVER, I do have the ABS module in the engine compartment and empty plugs (which I believe are the ABS harness connections) on the driver and passenger side. I don't know if at some point prior to my ownership non ABS hubs were installed, even though it's set up for ABS, or what may have happened along the way.

So my question, since I have the ABS module and available plugs, am I good to simply route the wiring and connect, or do I need to do anything extra to make everything work?? Thanks in advance.

Bolo4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have the 5 brake line ABS module in the engine bay then it should have the two front ABS sensor connections
But if they have been disconnected then you should have had the yellow ABS Light on the dash on this whole time, or bulb is burned out

If you are asking if the 4 wheel ABS module works, there is no way of telling until you try it
Yes, there could have been a reason previous owner disconnected it, but wouldn't be because he couldn't get ABS front hubs, I don't think you can get these without ABS sensors

Bolo4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have the 5 brake line ABS module in the engine bay then it should have the two front ABS sensor connections
But if they have been disconnected then you should have had the yellow ABS Light on the dash on this whole time, or bulb is burned out

If you are asking if the 4 wheel ABS module works, there is no way of telling until you try it
Yes, there could have been a reason previous owner disconnected it, but wouldn't be because he couldn't get ABS front hubs, I don't think you can get these without ABS sensors
Thank you for the reply. I looked and I do have the rear axle ABS sensor (module on top of the differential?). The only thing I see that is likely abs related is bolted to the driver side inner fender between the battery and fuse block. This isn't my picture but I found it on TRS.

There is a two wire connector, with plug protector connected to the wiring harness next to the module, and another similar plug on the passenger side engine compartment near the fluid reservoirs. I don't have any ABS warning lights on the instrument cluster, but don't know if the bulb is out or even present.

The ABS sensor wires coming from the hubs are each 6-8" to short to reach the plugs mentioned above. Ill likely just zip-tie them out of the way.

Apparently hubs for these were sold without ABS, because the ones I pulled off, do not have ABS harnesses or holes where they might connect.

Edit: I followed the link to the thread where I got the picture below. Apparently I too only have rear wheel ABS, not front. would I cut the harness or do what I planned, zip tie it?

1699844098195.png

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that's a Rear ABS system, looks like this one: https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ranger-forums.com-vbulletin/652x531/rabs_valve_complete_b37fbf7181e49e3b5ff985be7f8fe55744c042f1.jpg

4WABS unit looks like this: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/suspension-tech-36/88195d1501269039-4-wheel-abs-2-wheel-abs-img00115-20110226-1819.jpg
5 brake lines

Yes, just zip tie the front hub sensor wires out of the way

Yellow ABS light on the dash should come on with Key On, then go off after a few seconds, that's a "Bulb Test", all warning lights or indicator lights on the dash should come on for this "bulb test"
Not a system test, just a bulb test

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals