• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For Sale 2.8 V6 Duraspark and Points Distributors 30-2691

halfmoontrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
*READ THIS POST FIRST*
*UPDATE October 16, 2023 - I'm down to 2 points-type distributors available, no more Duraspark*

Very hard to find distributors for 2.8 V6 1974-1979 Mustang II Capri Pinto; also used on 1983-1985 Ranger and Bronco II Duraspark conversions when combined with old school 2100 2-barrel carbs.

I'm finishing the Duraspark conversion on my '85 B2. I had bought all the parts, except distributor, a couple of years ago. When I got back to the project, I couldn't find any 30-2691 or 30-2671 or points-type distributors anywhere - and I'm usually pretty good at that stuff. I fortunately found some distributors at salvage yards.

I have 3 used points-type distributors left (thank you Javy and Doug), they all seem to turn nicely and no noticeable play in any shaft. I got these when I was fearful that I wouldn't find any Duraspark distributors. I've had many points-type distributors in old cars and they can be quite reliable, or you could convert to electronic by Pertronix or other ways. $75/each includes USPS shipping in lower 48.

I bought them used from salvage yards and will be selling as-is with no guarantees, warranties or returns.

I have had good luck with used parts, but these are priced low enough, considering non-existent supply, for you to have rebuilt through Cardone or your favorite parts supplier on a rebuild and return.

I'm a real person near Gainesville Florida. Thanks for looking, Steve
20230913_175538.jpg

Last edited:

Javy129064

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’ll take one of the durasparks if you have it still and how do you wanna go about getting paid?

halfmoontrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I’ll take one of the durasparks if you have it still and how do you wanna go about getting paid?
Very good, will you be able to use the coil as well (you're the first responder)? I'll go through them after work today and take pictures of the one you'll get. I'm used to US Postal Money Orders or Zelle. Steve

Last edited:

Javy129064

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’ll give you a call in a little bit

halfmoontrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sale pending on 2 of the Duraspark distributors and the coil. Still have 1 Duraspark distributor for sale, and 4 of the points-type distributors.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would suggest removing your phone number. This is an open forum. So anyone can see it.

In the future, I would suggest using private messages with the interested parties so you don’t end up with unwanted calls.

halfmoontrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would suggest removing your phone number. This is an open forum. So anyone can see it.

In the future, I would suggest using private messages with the interested parties so you don’t end up with unwanted calls.
Thank you, Sarge!

Doug Burgoyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sale pending on 2 of the Duraspark distributors and the coil. Still have 1 Duraspark distributor for sale, and 4 of the points-type distributors.
Hey halfmoontrail, still got a duraspark dizzy for sale? Thanks! Doug

halfmoontrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hey halfmoontrail, still got a duraspark dizzy for sale? Thanks! Doug
Hi Doug, I have 1 left, pictured and described in the original post. I imagine it would work as-is but you would have a hard time nailing down your timing because of the play in the shaft. $100 shipped in the lower 48.

Doug Burgoyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for quick reply! Is it the correct one for duraspark conversion on my 84 ranger? Sounds like you know much more than I on this topic...do you think it could be rebuilt or tightened up? Wondering if the bits to make it better are even available these days. Thanks for your help.

halfmoontrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It's definitely the one you need for the Duraspark conversion, and I believe it can be rebushed, and/or rebuilt by Cardone or other remanufacturers. For the 83-85 Rangers/B2 with the 2.8 I believe you only have 3 options for distributors:

1. Original TFI distributor and computer/carb (or without computer, non-feedback carb and with timing fixed at some level of advance)
2. Duraspark distributor from 75-79 2.8 V6 (Mustang II, Capri, Pinto), like this one, or
3. Points-type distributor (whether or not upgraded to electronic) from 74 2.8 V6 (Mustang II), I have a few of these for sale.

Thanks for your kind words, but I'll defer to others on here that know even more.

Doug Burgoyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Great info man! Was only aware of options 1 and 2 for the most part. Seen forum threads and vids mentioning points type, pertronix, hei, GM bits, etc...but never got full picture on what is involved with that. Duraspark seemed most straight forward and easiest option for my 1984 (plug and play, kind of). Option 1 is out of the question. Where I live there are no emissions hoops to jump through, and things are glitching...why would I do that to myself, would sooner sell the truck. Option 2 is still my preferred approach, BUT not opposed to #3 points type if it makes sense, easy solution, and petty reliable (not daily driver). Just wouldnt know where to start on that set up, what else is needed, etc. Would that be considered mechanical advance type? Not a ton of info on this that I've found...but keeps me from messing with dizzy rebuild challenge. Again, I greatly appreciate your insight and help!

halfmoontrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I'm glad to help. Duraspark makes the most sense with your '84. May I suggest that you Google Cardone Rebuild & Return, and/or check with a local NAPA or other national chain for the same thing.

The Durapark and Points-type distributors both have vacuum and mechanical advance - it's the TFI that doesn't have any usable advance mechanism without the factory computer and feedback carb.

If not that, points-type is very easy - Just about any coil will work, and 1 wire from the coil goes to the points in the distributor. You can set the points gap by eye as well as stabbing in the distributor at TDC with the rotor pointing to whichever place on the distributor cap you want to call #1. Engines will usually start at this point, and you set the timing with a timing light and the points gap with a dwell meter (1 can affect the other, so I usually check each twice). Points are very reliable and relatively low maintenance and cheap.

I was very frustrated when I couldn't find a Duraspark distributor because I had all the other conversion parts and I wasn't aware that the 2.8 ever had points. Franklin2 on this forum educated me about the "fixed timing TFI" workaround but I wasn't excited about that option. My detective work led me to the points-type distributors in 1974 Mustang II - and then I couldn't find any of those new, NOS, or remanufactured! LONG story shortened, that's why I ended up with 4 Duraspark and 4 points-type distributors. 1 of the DS is now running in my 85 B2.

Doug Burgoyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Already checking with cardone on rebuild. I like idea of points, and understand it can be converted to electronic via pertronix, etc if desired. I have timing light and dwell meter, so no prob there. But haven't set dwell for decades! Are your points dizzys in good working order? So all I need is non feedback carb and good coil and pretty much ready to go? Same cap/rotor/wires (all new) work? Your points ones have vac advance? Thx!

halfmoontrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Points distributors are shown in the picture above, with their vacuum advance cans on the right of each distributor. All were purchased in that condition from a salvage yard in Oklahoma and a salvage yard in California. I have no other knowledge of their condition, but as described above, they seem to turn well without much play in any one. One of them seems to have no points or condenser (far right) but instead has 3-wires coming from it and a disc in place of the points - maybe Pertronix bits? Your existing spark plug wires (or new) will work but in any option you will need a new coil wire from the distributor to the coil, because the TFI coil is male and most coils are female. I have no idea if the TFI distributor cap (or rotor) will work on these, the Duraspark 2-piece cap will not. If I were to do this I'd buy new points, condenser, cap, rotor, and plug wires for a 1974 Mustang II with 2.8 V6, and also use those specs for points gap/dwell. I also recommend a 12-volt internally resisted coil, or add a resistor inline if you use the Duraspark coil. Clear as mud, right?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals