• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 F250 diesel - discovery and build thread.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the oil (which you should always do when you look at a used vehicle anyway), it can be down a couple quarts which will cause a no start.

If it is like 95% of the 7.3's in the world it leaks oil like a grounded oil tanker.

Or it could be in need of more expensive repairs and simply burns it (turbo, rings etc)

But it probably leaks it because aside from make noise it is one of the key features of a 7.3.

It could be something else too causing it to no start... but it probably still leaks which is halfway normal. :secret:

Its when they quit leaking... :scare:

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Check the oil (which you should always do when you look at a used vehicle anyway), it can be down a couple quarts which will cause a no start.

If it is like 95% of the 7.3's in the world it leaks oil like a grounded oil tanker.

Or it could be in need of more expensive repairs and simply burns it (turbo, rings etc)

But it probably leaks it because aside from make noise it is one of the key features of a 7.3.

It could be something else too causing it to no start... but it probably still leaks which is halfway normal. :secret:

Its when they quit leaking... :scare:
Ah yes, the old saying “If there’s no oil under it, there’s no oil in it.”

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, they leak from pretty much everywhere... I've resealed the oil cooler twice and it looks like it still leaks, main leak is I think the crush washers on the fuel pump right now since I changed that in a rest area a few years ago or I messed up one of the O rings under the turbo when I put the new turbo in... and I'm pretty sure the dip stick adapter into the pan leaks like they all do... but whatever...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Well, I did some prep work today. Went to the credit union and got a pile of dollars. I had been trying to get a used winch on FB marketplace because I'll need a way to get a dead truck up on my trailer. But both people I contacted seem to be ignoring their messages. So I went to Northern Tool. They have their 12k winch on sale for $329 right now. $20 cheaper than the 10k. So I picked that up along witha 6" long hitch receiver tube. Then went to Harbor Freight for their receiver hitch winch mount. Went home and got that installation about 80% done, along with troubleshooting the passenger side turn signal on the trailer. Needs a bulb.

I added some 1" tube feet under the winch plate. This improves my mounting location for the receiver tube. I can drag the winch on the trailer deck and slide it into the receiver tube without lifting it.
20230516_161604.jpg

20230516_161608.jpg

20230516_161617.jpg

Added some diagonal bracing on the front side to spread the stresses better on the frame channel. I don't know how much force this will handle. But I don't expect to break it.
20230516_170942.jpg

20230516_181448.jpg

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Well, I did some prep work today. Went to the credit union and got a pile of dollars. I had been trying to get a used winch on FB marketplace because I'll need a way to get a dead truck up on my trailer. But both people I contacted seem to be ignoring their messages. So I went to Northern Tool. They have their 12k winch on sale for $329 right now. $20 cheaper than the 10k. So I picked that up along witha 6" long hitch receiver tube. Then went to Harbor Freight for their receiver hitch winch mount. Went home and got that installation about 80% done, along with troubleshooting the passenger side turn signal on the trailer. Needs a bulb.

I added some 1" tube feet under the winch plate. This improves my mounting location for the receiver tube. I can drag the winch on the trailer deck and slide it into the receiver tube without lifting it.
View attachment 92458

View attachment 92459

View attachment 92460

Added some diagonal bracing on the front side to spread the stresses better on the frame channel. I don't know how much force this will handle. But I don't expect to break it.
View attachment 92461

View attachment 92462
Lemme know how that works...kinda the setup i want on my trailer

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Good luck with that, with that flat bed it's probably in the 7k pound range even 4x2, those Dana 80's aren't light in the back (dually is Dana 80 not a 10.25 like SRW). The other things that can cause a no start are cam sensor (get the grey one, not the black one) and I think the oil pressure sensor deal on the drivers side front by the front of the valve cover (it's been a while), the HPOP is the hard one but I've been looking at the parts for mine full force diesel has rebuilt pumps for like $550 so that's what I'm going to do, my bill there is going to be spendy, like $1800 for injectors and a tuner to deal with the injectors then the HPOP... then buying a new clutch and transmission rebuild parts, adds up quick... already got my intercooler tubing...

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Good luck with that, with that flat bed it's probably in the 7k pound range even 4x2, those Dana 80's aren't light in the back (dually is Dana 80 not a 10.25 like SRW). The other things that can cause a no start are cam sensor (get the grey one, not the black one) and I think the oil pressure sensor deal on the drivers side front by the front of the valve cover (it's been a while), the HPOP is the hard one but I've been looking at the parts for mine full force diesel has rebuilt pumps for like $550 so that's what I'm going to do, my bill there is going to be spendy, like $1800 for injectors and a tuner to deal with the injectors then the HPOP... then buying a new clutch and transmission rebuild parts, adds up quick... already got my intercooler tubing...
Thank you.

Not sure if I should buy some parts to throw at it to get it running there (or nearby) or just bring it home. I'm apprehensive about the weight behind my F150.

I would love to buy it, then pull into the nearest Walmart parking lot and fiddle around trying to get it running. Then put my F150 on the trailer and tow it with the newly running F350. But that's a lot to expect and not very realistic to count on.

I'm going to take my meter, tool bag, OBD2 dongle, jug of Rotella, flashlights, the EVTM, if it gets here in time (earliest expected delivery is friday), I should take some brake fluid and power steering fluid, too, maybe a quart of ATF (he finally told me it's an automatic), some electrical goodies, hose clamps, coolant (or at least some water), fuses, floor jack?, wood 4x4 blocks. What else? Good thing I have a truck to put all that in.

I may contact my ex-wife's uncle and see if I can borrow his Dodge dually. That would be a better tow vehicle.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
So, to keep the lines of communication open, I messaged him to let him know Im6making preparations to go Saturday. Asked for interior pix, since he didn't have any in the ad. It's not as nice as I had hoped. But not as bad as I expected. Needs geadliner and driver side door armrest. Cruise buttons are OK. Driver seat (or I should say driver side of the front bench) isn't all torn and ragged out like most old trucks. I see a cigarette pack on the floor. Hopefully the smell isnt too strong. I'm hoping to talk him down some more on price. I can buy a lot of febreze.

received_230338672944013.jpeg

received_799842691818843.jpeg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It has cab corners!

The fun50 will NOT like pulling that beast. :fie:

Its probably easy two of your Rangers and will probably be too long to get the tongue weight right on a normal flatbed trailer.

Might see if you can get it hauled like @Uncle Gump did. It would be cheaper than pulling the guts out of your nice fun50.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
It has cab corners!

The fun50 will NOT like pulling that beast. :fie:

Its probably easy two of your Rangers and will probably be too long to get the tongue weight right on a normal flatbed trailer.

Might see if you can get it hauled like @Uncle Gump did. It would be cheaper than pulling the guts out of your nice fun50.
Funny you mentioned cab corners. That was probably the second thing I looked at when I got those pictures. I don't see any rust bubbles in that area. There us a guy across the street with an OBS F250 extended cab for sale. Rust bubbles along the bottom of the cab and a few other places. It must have come from the salt belt.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I'll take those smokes....Thats my kind!

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Look at what I just happened across:

599AEAB0-3CF3-4267-9BEA-4F663C6A7818.jpeg

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
If you need one, there it is. Have you ever seen one that nice in NJ?

If I get this truck, I’ll stick with the dump bed. I think that would be handy.

on another note, I called my ex’s uncle this morning and arranged too borrow his Dodge on Saturday. 1 ton Cummins crew cab dually. I think it’s a 90’s model. Much better than my Fun50 for towing this much weight. He offered the gooseneck trailer, too. But he never got around to installing the winch he bought for it. My trailer is set up and has a lower deck, so I’ll use mine.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If you need one, there it is. Have you ever seen one that nice in NJ?
The last time I saw one this nice was when I worked at a Ford dealership back in ‘96.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals