• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 ranger metal composition

rover56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey group,
I need to do some sheet metal work on my 2011 Ranger, welding in patches in several areas, and I have been doing the same on my 1956 ford Restomod, using 20 guage standard sheet metal. My question is, does my Ranger have a different steel, like HSS, or ? I use MIG and try to butt weld everything. Has anyone any experience here, appreciate any help. Tom

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Not sure how no one has responded yet but I don't think there's a lot of action in the body section...

It's just normal sheet metal, there's going to be more filler and double wall random seams than a '56 but fairly similar, in some areas there's some goo on the inside to help structure and the side impact posts through the middle of the doors and such...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
EDIT: when I first read this HSS brought to mind high speed steel, like what's used for tools.
HSS in auto-speak is high strength steel, which is used.
sorry about the confusion.

somewhere 10-15? years ago Ford did start using a different steel, it was supposed to be quieter.'
they had a showroom display of old and new plates, you could hit them and hear the difference.

try calling a local body shop, I'm sure they do plenty of welding on new stuff.

Last edited:

rover56

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure how no one has responded yet but I don't think there's a lot of action in the body section...

It's just normal sheet metal, there's going to be more filler and double wall random seams than a '56 but fairly similar, in some areas there's some goo on the inside to help structure and the side impact posts through the middle of the doors and such...
it certainly won't be HSS. that's way too hard.
somewhere 10-15? years ago Ford did start using a different steel, it was supposed to be quieter.'
they had a showroom display of old and new plates, you could hit them and hear the difference.

try calling a local body shop, I'm sure they do plenty of welding on new stuff.
Thanks for the info guys, I was concerned it may have been HSS, I wasn't sure
when manufacturers started using that. So far it's just sheetmetal patches, no structure, so I can continue as usual. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals