• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2WD M5R1 Fixed Yoke Tail Housing?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
What's up guys, I am in the process of building a 2WD 1993 Ford Ranger, it has the 4.0 OHV and the 5-speed M5R1 trans behind it. The tail housing the transmission comes with factory is a slip yoke style setup that allows the driveshaft to be a solid one-piece shaft, and all the slip is happening at the yoke in the tail housing. I am trying to convert that setup to a fixed yoke on the trans and have a new driveshaft built with the slip built into the shaft instead. The reason is the truck I'm building is a very purpose-built go fast off-road truck with a 4-link suspension, pulling 25" of wheel travel, and I'm worried that with that amount of travel (especially at full droop) it's going to be putting a lot of weird stress on the tail housing with the factory slip setup it currently has at the yoke and it's gonna end up grenading itself. With the slip in the driveshaft instead, it can keep everything more happy and is very common in the go-fast off-road world.

Current problem...I pulled the slip yoke off the factory drive shaft and popped the copper plug off the end of it to expose the splined section of the yoke. I planned to machine down a 1.25" long steel slug that goes into the end of the splined section of the slip yoke that I'd drill a hole in the center of for a bolt to run through and then tig weld it into place so that the slug bottomed out on the end of the output shaft when the yoke was fully slid on (the idea is to not allow the yoke to go towards the trans any further so it does not destroy the tail housing seal) and then I was going to drill a hole in the center of the tail housing that I could tap for a 3/8" bolt to hold the yoke onto the output shaft and not allow it to slip in and out of the tail housing anymore. That's all fine and dandy and would in theory work great, BUT the output shaft is hardened steel and I can not get a drill bit to go into it to save my life. I have all the good bits, but I just do not have the tools here to make it happen. My only real option is to take this tail housing off and take it to a machine shop to have them drill and tap it for me and I don't want to deal with them if I don't have to.

My question is now that I've gotten into the weeds with this, did any of these M5R1 transmissions come with a fixed yoke tail housing setup factory from any other year or model vehicle that I can just source and buy that bolts on? I don't know much about these manual trans since I do not typically use them for these applications, I usually deal with TH400's for the trucks I build and they have aftermarket bolt-on fixed yoke tail housings options you can buy for them. What makes the issue worse, is this truck is a single cab and there is no carrier bearing or option to add a carrier bearing into the equation. If I could add one I'd just leave the slip in the yoke and add the slip into the main shaft on the two-piece driveshaft but I do not have that as an option and the tail housing needs to have a fixed yoke to work for my specific application

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The late 89 and 90 2wd BII had a fixed yoke on the both the M5OD and the A4LD. It was only available behind the 2.9L so you’ll have to run the 2.9L gearing.

The way Ford accomplished this was with a bolt on adapter that looked like a slip yoke with a 4 bolt flange similar to the transfer case output. The output shaft was center drilled and threaded. I’ve only ever seen 1.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The late 89 and 90 2wd BII had a fixed yoke on the both the M5OD and the A4LD. It was only available behind the 2.9L so you’ll have to run the 2.9L gearing.

The way Ford accomplished this was with a bolt on adapter that looked like a slip yoke with a 4 bolt flange similar to the transfer case output. The output shaft was center drilled and threaded. I’ve only ever seen 1.
The B2 driveshaft is the top one. The adapter flange has a large bolt that threaded into the transmission output shaft.

Probably hard to find the flange to begin with, then there's the problem of finding a transmission with the output shaft that's drilled and tapped for it.

B2's with a 2WD transmission are kind of rare; most had a dummy transfer case.

comparison b downsize.jpg

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That's a thing??
Yes. The Bronco II was first available as 2WD in the '86 models, but they were built with the 4WD type transmission and a dummy t-case with only a rear drive shaft was used.

My understanding is that the B2's that came with a true 2WD transmission was late production '90 models.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a thing??
Yeah, rather than design a longer driveshaft they designed a whole nuther t-case (BW-1359) that is just a dry hollow case with a input shaft, output shaft and a splined coupler connecting the two.

And then later on they designed a longer driveshaft. :icon_idea:

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Yeah, rather than design a longer driveshaft they designed a whole nuther t-case (BW-1359) that is just a dry hollow case with a input shaft, output shaft and a splined coupler connecting the two.

And then later on they designed a longer driveshaft. :icon_idea:
This feels like..... classic ford.

Hey Detroit, ever heard of Occam's razor?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I honestly believe that it had more to do with trying to keep some weight, and to keep that weight as low, as possible in the 2WD models.

It seems that it was more expense and effort to make a special t-case for just one model, versus just robbing the 2WD parts bin for the transmission and making a shorter drive shaft.

It was said at the time that the market driver for a 2WD B2 was "soccer moms" and others wanting a neat, cute little commuter and errand truck. Stripping the 4WD drivetrain completely for a 2WD one (think front diff, too) raised the CG (center of gravity) a little and made truck all that more "tippy".

The way that Ford did it, doesn't make any sense until you consider that it may have been trying to minimize the liability risks, of average or marginal drivers doing very stupid things on paved roads.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals