• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

347 Stroker build in a 2000 5.0

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
I feel like this is the only forum that actually responds to my questions, so I post on here way too much... sorry.

anyway, I've been looking at ways to gain more power out of my 302. I have some AFR heads picked out and an E303 cam. I have, however, like so many others, seem to have gotten the "itch" for more power and have found myself considering a 347 build on it. I figure the rotating assembly I can handle pretty easily, and from the research I've done the new heads and cam that I've picked out should work fine in a 347. A few questions still linger.

1. is an E303 really the best cam, I know this will start a hot debate, but I'm wanting to keep the lobe separation at 110, and the E303 seems the best for that, other than the option for a custom grind.
2. I know that the crank shaft sensor reads off the 5.0 harmonic balancer and is not geared to read the difference in stroke. I figured a good machine shop could balance the stock 50oz balancer that 347's don't usually use, but is the crank sensor going to give me issues, or is that something can be reprogrammed, or even matter in these circumstances.

Other than the harmonic balancer I figure there isn't really anything else to worry about, just have to get the computer professionally tuned, and the block cleared for the longer stroke.
please let me know if there might be anything else to consider.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I noticed this kit says it's balanced for 28oz. So you will need a flexplate or flywheel also. Unless you find a stroker kit balanced for 50oz.

Don't know where to find a 28oz balancer with the crank sensor wheel on it.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would get the balanced rotating assembly, so it will come with flexplate and harmonic balancer, and then put the crank sensor ring on that harmonic balancer. The only hard part about that should be making sure the sensor ring is oriented correctly. If you give the machine shop both old and new harmonic balancers, they should be able to handle that no sweat.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I swapped cams in my truck recently. After doing my research & asking questions I came up with ford letter cams are ok but there are better options now. I ended up with a comp xe258. It idles like stock, didn’t seem to take away anything off the bottom, & definitely pulls better up top than the stocker. With gt40 heads & a spring upgrade that is. It won’t blow you away but it’s a quick little truck for what it is. I would imagine that paired with some better heads it would be a noticeable improvement. Maybe throw in a cam & bolt on the heads. Might be all that you need & save you some money.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Also do you have a set of headers? The stock manifolds are very restrictive.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you're going to build a 347, you'll need to get a 28oz balancer. If you're using the explorer/mountaineer computer and harness, you'll have to get a 28oz balancer that is for the 331/347 srokers. Only ace I know.to get that balancer is through Damper Dudes out in California. I ordered one from them.
Now if you're doing all that... you'll have to have headers or Iit will be a waist of money

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If you're going to build a 347, you'll need to get a 28oz balancer. If you're using the explorer/mountaineer computer and harness, you'll have to get a 28oz balancer that is for the 331/347 srokers. Only ace I know.to get that balancer is through Damper Dudes out in California. I ordered one from them.
Now if you're doing all that... you'll have to have headers or Iit will be a waist of money
There is another (much harder) way.
You need a 28oz balancer from a ‘97 f350 with a 351W that has the crank sensor reluctor wheel on it. (Good luck finding one.)
You need a crank pulley from a ‘94-‘95 Cobra. (Good luck finding one of them.)
You need a 36-1 tooth reluctor wheel from a 5.0L Explorer.

I bought the last 2 (known to Ford’s system) balancers about 20 years ago.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
There is another (much harder) way.
You need a 28oz balancer from a ‘97 f350 with a 351W that has the crank sensor reluctor wheel on it. (Good luck finding one.)
You need a crank pulley from a ‘94-‘95 Cobra. (Good luck finding one of them.)
You need a 36-1 tooth reluctor wheel from a 5.0L Explorer.

I bought the last 2 (known to Ford’s system) balancers about 20 years ago.
Rockauto has plenty of balancers for that 97 351w. 28 oz balance and has the little holes all the way around the outside for the tone ring.
Don't know about finding the tone ring itself. You said the explorer tone ring will fit this balancer?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Rockauto has plenty of balancers for that 97 351w. 28 oz balance and has the little holes all the way around the outside for the tone ring.
Don't know about finding the tone ring itself. You said the explorer tone ring will fit this balancer?
Do you notice how they all say something like “no 4 point tone ring”? That’s the one you need. You have to remove the 4 point tone ring and press the 36-1 tone ring on in its place. Thats not a very common part and I’m not going to trust a cheap aftermarket balancer at the RPM I’d be spinning a stroker.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals