• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.4 triton conversion

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that is one clean install..................except for the walmart battery......lol.
just joking.......

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
281 ranger guy, how hard was the swap? and how long did it take u?
I worked on it in my spare time for 13 months over a 1-1/2 year period. Took a five month break called winter. I didn't think the swap was too difficult, but I've been working on cars for over 30 years. There is some fab work to do but to me that's the fun stuff. Total cost for the engine swap was about $1500. Then I made $1200 parting out what was left of the Mark VIII.:headbang:

BrokeRecord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
281 Ranger

I'm glad you pointed out that a swap doesn't happen overnight like they do on TV. Sometimes every little piece needs cutting, bending, or replacing. The faster you do the swap, the more mistakes.

rngrdngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I worked on it in my spare time for 13 months over a 1-1/2 year period. Took a five month break called winter. I didn't think the swap was too difficult, but I've been working on cars for over 30 years. There is some fab work to do but to me that's the fun stuff. Total cost for the engine swap was about $1500. Then I made $1200 parting out what was left of the Mark VIII.:headbang:
I know that u had 2 fab up some engine mounts and headers.what other fab jobs did u do?

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I know that u had 2 fab up some engine mounts and headers.what other fab jobs did u do?
I had to make a plate that would hold the support bearing for the steering shaft. It also covers the hole where the steering shaft used to come through the firewall. The steering shaft was moved over about 3". The support bearing and new shaft are both Crown Vic items.

The HVAC box was cut up and welded back together as a heater box using a small tipped heat gun. I never planned to keep the AC, but if I had, the factory Ranger box will not work.

I spent alot of time with the wiring harness. I wanted it to look as close to the Ranger harness as possible. In the Mark VIII the computer is by the driver's knees. It is now where the stock Ranger's computer was.

That's about it for the actual swap. The rest of the truck however, is another story. For something that looks stock, there is almost nothing on the truck that hasn't been changed or modified.

rngrdngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
well i talked to her and she decided just to lower the truck and put some 17" aluminum rims and some small engine add-ons.but thanks for the help guys i appreciate it allot.:icon_cheers:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
tell her to get a blower for the 4.0

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I would go with a 347 stroker or do what 281 did. ask him for his www.

or supercharge the 4.0L

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals