• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 302 build

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I'm attempting to put the entire drivetrain and most of the electronics from a 98 Explorer V8 into a 86 Ford Ranger. Not an original or difficult idea in and of itself, but most people doing similar also swap in the dash and controls from the later model vehicle. I've decided that I am going to keep the original dash and try to keep all of the original switches and controls. Got a lot of wiring to figure out.

A bunch of work has been done, but have 3x as much still to do. Not going to bother with a build thread again until I get further along and am steadily working on it. Working outside as time, weather, and money allow, so the going has been slow.
shouldnt be any wiring issues. make the powertrain stand alone, and a jumper harness if you want the oem gauges and cel.

your doing the right thing...the gen 1 dash is my favorite by a long shot.

this paint scheme with the orange and blue is kewl angie:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Very cool build! Cant wait to see how this turns out.

Im about to start my 3rd Ranger build and this time my girl friend is goin to be right there to help with every step.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
shouldnt be any wiring issues. make the powertrain stand alone, and a jumper harness if you want the oem gauges and cel.
I'm going a little further with the wiring than that. There is nothing left of the Ranger's original wiring except for a few connectors and plugs. Since I have the Explorer on hand I'm trying that way first, if that doesn't work (or I'm too lazy) I'll go the aftermarket harness route. That's enough about my stuff, this is Angie's build thread.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hey you guys can talk all you want, doesn't bother me at all :)

i am learning from your conversation.

hey death, good to hear that your gal wants to get grease under the nails :)

one Q josh, on a build like that wont you need all of the 98 computer to control everything on the truck? or you have carb?

here are a couple more pics of what got accomplished tonight before the lights went out in the shop. this is the trim and the roof, there isn't going to be a roof liner, just metal.

Attachments

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Any updates on this project ?

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Any updates on this project ?

Hi, actually not much new to report, except had the frame boxed in for the front end to help with the weight and power up front. currently ripping the front end apart for the rebuild of everything between the spindles and new bushings, yadda yadda. I will post up new stuff as it gets done. after the front end is built back up, i will place the engine onto the frame then trailered to the exhaust shop for a custom made set of long tube headers for the 40P heads.

will update as it gets done. (angie has been too busy with other stuff to work on the cab/front end)

cheers

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
All cleaned and ready to be put back together. You can see the reinforced boxed section in this pic.

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Was able to do some work on the front today. Hope to get all the tie rods in place tomorrow.

Attachments

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not trying to say you're wasting money, but to get custom headers made for p heads is kinda a waste? Isn't it I mean why not go 351 if you're going to have custom headers or a set of aftermarket aluminum heads? I can't imagine custom headers being cheap? I really like the paint I've always been a huge fan of the orange color

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi shortz,

Not sure about wasting money for a set of long tubes being made for this build. If i went for a set of aftermarket heads, it would actually be more expensive than what i am building now. I am wanting the pipes to be small diameter to the collector, then heading back to the exhaust pipes. It is tight in the frame beside the block, and being a welded box now, I can't notch it out. I want the pipes to be fairly straight down, I have a couple pairs of older long tubes kicking around the shop to try different mock ups, and i see the problems in how the angles are in the heads to the pipes, then the transmission case being in the way. less hassle and easier to drop off the frame at a shop and say build me this style of pipes.

Joys of building something different. I have budgeted around 800 or better for the pipes to be made. which is ok with me for this motor is built to run long tubes.

in for a penny, in for a pound. too late to turn back now.

thanks for the comment on the orange. it does pop alright.

cheers

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I understand, around my area a shop won't do custom headers for less then $1200

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
been trying to get out to the shop and work on the project. couple new pics of where it is at. test fitting the motor and figuring the motor mounts, plus the rear end will be bolted up this weekend.(hopefully) It has new seals. all new bearings plus a new set of spider gears. 3.08 and i was happy with this ratio when this rear was in my old 91, so i will keep this for now and see how it behaves. cheers

Attachments

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Rear is in, just looks like the drums are complete.... nope just sitting over the hubs. still need to buy all the new springs, pads and hardware to complete the back. not to mention getting a roll of brake line and cutting to fit with making all the fittings with the flaring tools. if anyone says building a truck is easy or cheap, i will say, NOT!!!!

Cheers

ps, did anyone catch my mistake from yesterday?

Attachments

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking good. Now I'm going to have to start over on my frame painting at some point, it makes my rustoleum spray job look like crap. That said I'm going for a drive anywhere, no show, mostly go truck and nobody is going to be looking at the frame (or under the hood if I can avoid it).

ps, did anyone catch my mistake from yesterday?
Forgot to install the drum brake backing plates? everything else looks good to me.

BowlEEac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool Build. I noticed your from Vancouver BC. So am I:icon_thumby: you and I are of the select few that have V8 rangers in the lower mainland. I would love to see yours in person sometime.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals