• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 B2 diesel build thread

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Dude that b2 is looking good man! Can’t wait to hear how she runs!
Thanks man! I'm getting close haha I have to decide what i'm going to do here soon. Once I get the Crawl box/transfer case together and in. I have to decide how far i'm going to go into the suspension. I have almost brand new 35s. The 31s that are on it just look small haha I have a D44 with 513s in it. I just dont have anything else. So Idk what i'm going to do. Just run the 31s out for now. or do I just go for it and get it all done now. I don't know. My ranger was nice because I had long arms and all that, So the cost part was very low. and It was already straight axle'd. So this think I have to start from nothing suspension wise..... Idk well see. Don't now what to do right now.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Got the shift rails mod done in the 205. Pulled the output out. just in prep for the new input gear to go in. Well the needle bearings fell out, I must of lost one, I didn't count them because I was in a rush and worried about it falling off the stand. while I was gone for the week at work. I don't know, ordered a new set. olwell I've never been into a 205 so live and learn right.

I pulled the seat out of my 01 parts explorer. The drivers side is powered. Still have to mod the front mounts. The rear mounts bolt right up. Front mounts at least one of them are way off. Not to extreme. Going to run power from one of the relays, that I'm not using anymore. or Ill just add one, well see I need to clean up the i wiring in that area anyways. no big deal. It is pretty cool to have a powered seat! The other side is manual. Wish I had heated seats, that would be even cooler but olwell. This is way better than the old seats.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Man that was not fun… but it’s in. Had to trim some of the body frame supports. I’ll have to build a new x member which I had knew I was going to have to do anyways. This 205 is just heavy and with the crawl box it’s even worse lol good news, front drive line will bolt right up. Rear driveline is going to be shorter lol I was hoping to not need the Astro van speedo cable but between the body lift and around 4.5 inches longer I’m gonna need to install it. It’s coming along!

Attachments

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Man that was not fun… but it’s in. Had to trim some of the body frame supports. I’ll have to build a new x member which I had knew I was going to have to do anyways. This 205 is just heavy and with the crawl box it’s even worse lol good news, front drive line will bolt right up. Rear driveline is going to be shorter lol I was hoping to not need the Astro van speedo cable but between the body lift and around 4.5 inches longer I’m gonna need to install it. It’s coming along!
Looking good man! Those cases are definitely heavy. My B2 project is on hold for a bit unfortunately due to the weather and lack of sufficient heat in my garage. Will be picking back up in the spring / warmer days ahead.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Looking good man! Those cases are definitely heavy. My B2 project is on hold for a bit unfortunately due to the weather and lack of sufficient heat in my garage. Will be picking back up in the spring / warmer days ahead.
I definitely agree haha I take one of my dad’s bays in his shop and claim it for the winter. lol haha I’m glad your b2 wasn’t flooded!

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Well flushed oil in the transmission, filled the crawl box and the 205. Swapped out the 31s for my 35s.

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Started my mock up of my shifters. I’m hoping I have enough cable. I ordered the next longer ones. We’ll see I guess.
Got my shut off cylinder in. I just pull on it and it pulls a vacuum on the shut off valve and it turns off. Not to bad!

Attachments

caseygriffin8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Thats whats up! Great lookin build. Yoiu already mention a bit a couple of posts back but what direction are headed with suspension on her? Currently dealing with 87 BII thats overheating even on short rips ~10 miles , almost want to try this swap haha but before all that ill try new radiator & water pump and see what happens. Keep us posted

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Thats whats up! Great lookin build. Yoiu already mention a bit a couple of posts back but what direction are headed with suspension on her? Currently dealing with 87 BII thats overheating even on short rips ~10 miles , almost want to try this swap haha but before all that ill try new radiator & water pump and see what happens. Keep us posted
Thanks! I appreciate it!
Currently I’m just going to run the TTB. I don’t want to deal with the extra cost of SAS this winter. I would recommend a TDI over this Mercedes. They don’t make a small block adapter anymore and a tdi is a better engine
. Easier to fit, they make adapters to the stock ranger transmission. Lots of positives!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
looks like if you put the radiator up to about a half inch from the grill, you can run the mechanical fan.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
looks like if you put the radiator up to about a half inch from the grill, you can run the mechanical fan.
I should of took a picture with the E fan in, I wish i had enough room. I'm max'd out. The electric fan will just have to do for now.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I should of took a picture with the E fan in, I wish i had enough room. I'm max'd out. The electric fan will just have to do for now.

i am referring to the plastic grille. cut that metal out of the way and mount the radiator farther forward. i have a bigger engine and monster radiator with a gen 1 that has less room. that engine will make heat if you load it down.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
these guys were a few years behind me.....that place was a few miles from my house before i moved back home to detroit....

and there were many in front of me starting in the 90's with explorers.... first 6.x swap i seen was in an explorer...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals