• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 mazda b2300 4 wheel drive stopped working

Ed C

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 ranger
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I just got my b2300 running again after some extensive rear framework. It sat over the winter. I was checking accessories for function and noticed my 4wheel drive high and low indicator lights on the dash flashed 6 times when i turn my key on. This has the electric shift on the fly switch on the dash. I put the switch in the 4 H position and don't get an indicator on the dash. The fuse is good. Is this 6-time indicator flash a code? Any help on how to troubleshoot this or what could be causing this is much appreciated. I checked the transfer and it is not going into 4wd Thanks Ed C

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Flashing would be a code, i would check the tcase motor and try lubing it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
6 flash are not a code except it means there is a problem but not what the problem is

All the dash "system" lights should come on with key on, that's a Bulb Test to let you know if a bulb is burned out

The 4WD system flashes the bulbs to indicate its "lost"
Fuse 7 in the cab
AND
Fuse 16 in the engine bay fuse box

"Lost" means it doesn't know what position transfer case is in, 2WD, 4H or 4L
Its lost communication with the contacts on the shift motor or one of the contacts is out of wack so position is unknown so it can't shift transfer case because it has no "starting position"

So yes, unplug and plug back in the shift motor's 7 or 8 wire plug under the truck and see if that helps

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^This!^ Absolutely, that motor is not that hard to remove and inspect, lube and install. You may actually find the hardest part is getting that dang plug separated, I found it easier just to remove the latch, it still went back together and has never came back apart without my taking it apart.
If you have ever tore down and cleaned and put back together an electric motor of most any kind this is basic elementary.
In case you have not maybe you should ask a few more questions first. There have been numerous photos posted, if you need help in finding those please let us know

Ed C

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 ranger
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Guys, I got real lucky! I checked all connections on the transfer and found a loose bullet connector to female coupling on the very rear end of the transfer case. its a heavy gauge single black wire. I assume this is a ground ? What is the funtion of this part of the transfer? Anyway, my sincere thanks to Franklin2, Colon, Ron D, and Josh B for taking time to help me with this. Electrical is not my strongest ability. I will keep this info for future reference. In the meantime, i think i'll buy a lottery ticket. Ed C

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Transfer case doesn't need external grounds, its grounded thru the engine/trans

Could have been the electric clutch wire, that's a Brown wire on its own usually
There is the 2 wire VSS sensor on speedometer cable hook up

Ed C

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 ranger
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good to know, Thanks Again! Ed c

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals