• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are bronco 2 really prone to flipping easily?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Well first off $16k is about $14k too much regardless how pretty it looks...its still 38 years old with a lot of worn out parts and hard to get parts sometimes. After having 2 Bronco 2's, and 84 and an 87, I wouldn't pay more than a couple thousand bucks for one, knowing all the work that'll come with an old vehicle like that. Low miles don't mean anything either, it means the vehicle sat for years, and means a lot of seals, gaskets, fluids, etc. are gonna need major attention, as well as belts, hoses, etc. Wouldn't trust it from a dealer either, they typically have no clue how to work on vehicles this old anymore either, nor do they actually repair anything or service anything on them before they put them on the lot.

They're not anymore prone to rolling over than any other high center of gravity short narrow wheelbase SUV....if you leave them at stock height and don't drive like an idiot they're pretty dang stable for a body on frame SUV, and I found my 88 Bronco 2 to be more comfortable than a Jeep Wrangler too. My Bronco 2 had the factory front and rear sway bars on it which helps a lot, many people remove them thinking that it'll give them better articulation....very marginal at best, but it also makes the vehicle a lot less stable on the road where most of the people who own them drive them.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I remember the time when what was once a decent consumer products testing magazine (which has since taken a hard left turn into oblivion) called out the Suzuki Samurai as unsafe because it was rollover-prone... Following that, they took a Bronco II, installed outriggers on it similar to what they used on the Samurai, then deliberately tried to tip it over by doing repeated hard swerves on a track. While the Samurai tipped up very readily, they never could get the BII to tip onto the outriggers (although for a brief moment they did get two tires to lift slightly just from the dynamics of swerving one way & then immediately back again). Because of that, they still had to bag on it, but their overall conclusion was that it was "acceptable", whereas the Samurai (and also an Isuzu Trooper that came some years later) were not. I think they also failed a Montero just before having to quit these tests after settling a libel lawsuit brought by Suzuki out of court.

As others have said, be aware of it's handling characteristics, drive like a normal person would (not like a maniac) and you should be fine.

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Transmission
Manual
Seriously considering buying one at a dealer. 86 with the 2.9 4x4 Eddie Bauer edition. It's 16k but in pristine condition. I don't plan on using it for anything crazy other than driving it here n there and baby it and continue to preserve it. Mainly buying it as a prize possession. I would buy one to fix it up my self but they non existent. I would also highly consider getting a full sized one but they're also hard to find and when I have come across one they want an insane price for it. Thoughts??? I really love the color and seats in the bronco 2 I'm looking at.
I love both of mine. If you turn a wrench they're fairly easy to work on. I've seen nice ones here in Texas around $6000. You'll love the short wheel base in parking lots and off road.

MaD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It would be a lot more stable if you showed us what it looks like... ;)
It sold before I could get it. It was this one.

MaD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I really want a bronco 2 but they are hard to find. There's someone selling a 88 S10 blazer for $1500... Idk if I should.

MaD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I love both of mine. If you turn a wrench they're fairly easy to work on. I've seen nice ones here in Texas around $6000. You'll love the short wheel base in parking lots and off road.
There's a bronco for $6500 but I rather get a bronco 2. I love the small size.
Well first off $16k is about $14k too much regardless how pretty it looks...its still 38 years old with a lot of worn out parts and hard to get parts sometimes. After having 2 Bronco 2's, and 84 and an 87, I wouldn't pay more than a couple thousand bucks for one, knowing all the work that'll come with an old vehicle like that. Low miles don't mean anything either, it means the vehicle sat for years, and means a lot of seals, gaskets, fluids, etc. are gonna need major attention, as well as belts, hoses, etc. Wouldn't trust it from a dealer either, they typically have no clue how to work on vehicles this old anymore either, nor do they actually repair anything or service anything on them before they put them on the lot.

They're not anymore prone to rolling over than any other high center of gravity short narrow wheelbase SUV....if you leave them at stock height and don't drive like an idiot they're pretty dang stable for a body on frame SUV, and I found my 88 Bronco 2 to be more comfortable than a Jeep Wrangler too. My Bronco 2 had the factory front and rear sway bars on it which helps a lot, many people remove them thinking that it'll give them better articulation....very marginal at best, but it also makes the vehicle a lot less stable on the road where most of the people who own them drive them.
I tried to haggle the price but they weren't keen on haggling. Someone ended up buying too.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@MaD ,
It is shocking to see BII's listed for sale used for more than their original MSRP. I suggest holding out for a more motivated seller or expand your search area.

Of the short wheel base SUV's of that era, they were no more prone to roll over than any of the like competitors. There are quite a few in my area, just saw 2 more hit the closest wrecking yard yesterday.

The following small list of changes will make body roll nearly non-existent, let alone roll over:
• $350 91-94 Explorer d35/8.8" axles, giving it 1" wider stance
• $800 for 10" or wider tires, +2" stance
• $200 used set of 15×8's or 15×10's
• $650 (8) James Duff 70/30 dual shocks all 4 corners...no more body roll!!

Reactions: MaD

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I really want a bronco 2 but they are hard to find. There's someone selling a 88 S10 blazer for $1500... Idk if I should.
Depends.

If its a 2.8 and/or automatic i wouldnt.

If its a 4.3 it would be a decent rig.

Athough IMO the B2's looked alot better, were built better, and had nicer interiors

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
@MaD ,
It is shocking to see BII's listed for sale used for more than their original MSRP. I suggest holding out for a more motivated seller or expand your search area.
unfourtantly finding any of the older rigs in nice shape youre going to be paying more then they were new.

The only exceptions seem to be 87-91 F series trucks. And anything 2wd.

Anything older in pristine shape (or close to it), and especially 4wd....brings a preimum.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
As someone once said “It’s a Ford, NOT a Ferrari.”

They aren’t really any more roll-over prone than anything else. The B2 has the exact same wheelbase as a YJ/TJ Jeep Wrangler, just a little longer body and a hard top. My 88 and the 89 that I sold years ago were just fine in stock form. Never even came close to rolling. My 89 Choptop has gotten a little sketchy a couple times, but that’s mostly me being dumber than usual. The only time it wasn’t was when I decided I was going to burn up an old set of 31x10.50-15 on 5” of lift. It was decidedly more stable on 33x12.50-15 tires at the time. Now I’m at roughly 7” and 35x12.50-15 and run a whopping 12 psi on the street. I can really push it’s limits if I want, but it’s really stable if you’re not trying to drive like you’re qualifying for a NASCAR race.

I don’t see the 1st/2nd gen Explorers as roll-over prone either. Don’t drive it like an arsehole. Those older 4-door Explorers had a similar wheelbase as the Ranger. My first Ranger had a cap on it with ladder racks, so higher COG like the Explorer. I experienced one of the infamous Firestone tire blowouts on the passenger front at like 3am booking home from my GFs place doing 85 down the highway. Being not entirely dumb, I didn’t jerk the wheel, just held it controlled, took my foot off the go pedal, downshifted (manual), and eased the brakes gently while guiding the truck off the road. Nothing doing. No dramatic barrel roll. Moral? Don’t drive with your head up your posterior or buried in your phone.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
As someone once said “It’s a Ford, NOT a Ferrari.”

They aren’t really any more roll-over prone than anything else. The B2 has the exact same wheelbase as a YJ/TJ Jeep Wrangler, just a little longer body and a hard top. My 88 and the 89 that I sold years ago were just fine in stock form. Never even came close to rolling. My 89 Choptop has gotten a little sketchy a couple times, but that’s mostly me being dumber than usual. The only time it wasn’t was when I decided I was going to burn up an old set of 31x10.50-15 on 5” of lift. It was decidedly more stable on 33x12.50-15 tires at the time. Now I’m at roughly 7” and 35x12.50-15 and run a whopping 12 psi on the street. I can really push it’s limits if I want, but it’s really stable if you’re not trying to drive like you’re qualifying for a NASCAR race.

I don’t see the 1st/2nd gen Explorers as roll-over prone either. Don’t drive it like an arsehole. Those older 4-door Explorers had a similar wheelbase as the Ranger. My first Ranger had a cap on it with ladder racks, so higher COG like the Explorer. I experienced one of the infamous Firestone tire blowouts on the passenger front at like 3am booking home from my GFs place doing 85 down the highway. Being not entirely dumb, I didn’t jerk the wheel, just held it controlled, took my foot off the go pedal, downshifted (manual), and eased the brakes gently while guiding the truck off the road. Nothing doing. No dramatic barrel roll. Moral? Don’t drive with your head up your posterior or buried in your phone.

The explorer failed in some cases worse then the d35 b2...

The cog differential and leverage offset with underslung leafs solved some issues and added a new one.

The consumer reports shit is not a thing for me. Just a base topic. They did the same thing to cj jeeps in the late 70s and early 80s.

One thing you won't see a lot of is how rollover prone and dangerous reg cab short bed rangers are either .... And even ext cabs. Even the 2wd trucks were tumbleweeds in certain conditions.

The irony of it being such a bad ass off road racing platform in this regard is epic. How can both of those things be true?

I grew up with Ford engineering....got to watch this shit unfold in real time. And still do.

My dad could not wait to retire.....mostly due to the lightening and mach e programs....but he strongly disliked the new ranger and broncos as well..for reasons I am not going into here..

One of my uncles that owned a tool and die shop in Detroit did heavy prototyping and fixtures for development...had one of the first rangers.. ordered and delivered....never drove it.... that went right to total performance up in Mt clements....and received a nutless v8 swap.....and I got to watch that and have been a ranger nut ever since. It was the shop donkey until they closed up.

The question....Are bronco 2 really prone to flipping easily is an absolute YES. YES.....you must respect them. Same with Explorers. It was always known. The consumers report test don't mean shit to me. But steeds reports do. There are dozens of lawsuits for the various vehicles easily studies and difficult to scrutinize without complete data sets...

A d 28 b2 against an equally equipped yj in stability is pretty close.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The explorer failed in some cases worse then the d35 b2...

The cog differential and leverage offset with underslung leafs solved some issues and added a new one.

The consumer reports shit is not a thing for me. Just a base topic. They did the same thing to cj jeeps in the late 70s and early 80s.

One thing you won't see a lot of is how rollover prone and dangerous reg cab short bed rangers are either .... And even ext cabs. Even the 2wd trucks were tumbleweeds in certain conditions.

The irony of it being such a bad ass off road racing platform in this regard is epic. How can both of those things be true?

I grew up with Ford engineering....got to watch this shit unfold in real time. And still do.

My dad could not wait to retire.....mostly due to the lightening and mach e programs....but he strongly disliked the new ranger and broncos as well..for reasons I am not going into here..

One of my uncles that owned a tool and die shop in Detroit did heavy prototyping and fixtures for development...had one of the first rangers.. ordered and delivered....never drove it.... that went right to total performance up in Mt clements....and received a nutless v8 swap.....and I got to watch that and have been a ranger nut ever since. It was the shop donkey until they closed up.

The question....Are bronco 2 really prone to flipping easily is an absolute YES. YES.....you must respect them. Same with Explorers. It was always known. The consumers report test don't mean shit to me. But steeds reports do. There are dozens of lawsuits for the various vehicles easily studies and difficult to scrutinize without complete data sets...

A d 28 b2 against an equally equipped yj in stability is pretty close.

I still say 99% of the problem is user error rather than flaws in vehicle design. Any taller vehicle is going to be more roll over prone than a pancake.

MaD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@MaD ,

Of the short wheel base SUV's of that era, they were no more prone to roll over than any of the like competitors. There are quite a few in my area, just saw 2 more hit the closest wrecking yard yesterday.

The following small list of changes will make body roll nearly non-existent, let alone roll over:
• $350 91-94 Explorer d35/8.8" axles, giving it 1" wider stance
• $800 for 10" or wider tires, +2" stance
• $200 used set of 15×8's or 15×10's
• $650 (8) James Duff 70/30 dual shocks all 4 corners...no more body roll!!
Thanks will def look into those.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They lowered tire pressure and put softer shocks in the Explorer so the body would roll on the suspension/tires as a band aid to help with "stability" rather than just overall do a barrel roll. That running 26psi was even mentioned let alone put in the manual tells me they knew it was underperforming... couple that with bad tires and it went pear shaped really fast.

They were supposed to be comparable to an S-10 Blazer though.

And somewhere on the interwebs (so it has to be true ;)) that the BII was actually more stable than the 4dr Explorer.

I still say 99% of the problem is user error rather than flaws in vehicle design. Any taller vehicle is going to be more roll over prone than a pancake.
And again, 55mph national speed limit...

Running 60mph my '85 (which has a bodylift) feels pretty comparable to the other two in our fleet. Running 70+... even loaded/ballasted it just feels out of its element. It may partially be psychological with all the greenhouse and an intelligently designed hood and it kind of feels like you are riding on the front of a motorcycle compared to the Bronco/F150 with their tiny windshields and obtrusive hood lines. The Bronco cruising at 85-90mph in Texas (with favorable winds, it a handful at 60 with a stiff crosswind) feels much more stable than my truck at 70.

89RanBrII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger & BrII
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Ranger: 2.9; BroncoII: 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know, but 85 MPH in my '89 BrII with a 4.0 still feels pretty stable without wind, with wind 60 MPH is more where I like to be. On gravel I try to stay in the 50's though.
(I do have the D35 and an 8.8)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals