• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Autonomous cars....

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Computers make simple logical decisions all the time. Assigning a priority or value to objects and then choosing the least cost alternative is easy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
How can a computer differentiate between a bus or a sign? Other then the size difference. I just feel there are way to many descions for a computer to be programmed to handle driving in all conditions, and its impossible to foresee every hazard.

A human can use their experence in an unknown situation to react in the best way possible. A computer cant

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
computers are pretty freaking smart now adays. we have a security system in our shop where the cameras actually track tools. the computer can recognize, differentiate, and follow stuff as small as an airgun and tell the difference between 2 different tools just with the camera and no actual tracking device on the tool. you can go to the computer and say locate tool #235 and it will show you were it is or who took it. so im sure these cars systems have no trouble deciphering a person from a bus or whatever.

That being said I think cruise control is about as "autonomous" as a car should ever be. planes, boats, even trators may use this stuff but they dont operate within inches of other vehicles and humans. unless every vehicle on earth was autonomous and able to communicate with all other vehicles around it the system will never be safe enough for any practical use ( i.e. never ).

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
computers are pretty freaking smart now adays. we have a security system in our shop where the cameras actually track tools. the computer can recognize, differentiate, and follow stuff as small as an airgun and tell the difference between 2 different tools just with the camera and no actual tracking device on the tool. you can go to the computer and say locate tool #235 and it will show you were it is or who took it. so im sure these cars systems have no trouble deciphering a person from a bus or whatever.

That being said I think cruise control is about as "autonomous" as a car should ever be. planes, boats, even trators may use this stuff but they dont operate within inches of other vehicles and humans. unless every vehicle on earth was autonomous and able to communicate with all other vehicles around it the system will never be safe enough for any practical use ( i.e. never ).

Thats still a controlled enviroment though.

Like you said, maybe if everything was autonoumus and could communicate, but youll still have holdouts (like me) cruiseing around in a carburated big block getting passed by uber-mobiles.

If they make driving illegal, thats when ill become an outlaw. Lets see the cop get frusterated when he cant follow me across a cornfield cause his GPS driving wont go off the road.

Tuner710

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Consider the Quantas Airlines flight, Airbus. 3 onboard control systems computers, took 2 unexpected and uncontrollable dives resulting in serious injuries to passengers and crew as well as lawsuits and settlements. All input from sensors and control shown to be correct, flaw in the program best guess.
Also consider a central control piloting these autonomous cars and how that can be used to nefarious ends.
No thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I guess it all comes down to perspective on what is acceptable and what is not.

I remember an old story.
Aliens came down to the USofA in early 1900's and offered the population a much faster and easier way to transport people and goods.
Only down side would be the aliens would randomly pick, say 10,000 people, to be killed or maimed every year for their own amusement.
A trade off

Well I hope no one would go for a deal like that, lol.

BUT..................that IS what we got with the automobile
In 2016 37,461 people died in vehicle accidents in the US
Just for our convenience for getting somewhere faster and/or easier.

We have accepted the terms, even if you never thought about it that way, :)
So if automation can drop our "convenience death toll", which I think it can, then I am all for it

People will still die in automobile accidents, automated or not, we have ALL accepted that and roll the dice each time we get into a vehicle, making the odds better that we don't die is a good thing as far as I am concerned

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is a pretty startling revelation of our acceptance. More than double our 1968 deaths in Vietnam, every year, and more than triple the homicides involving a gun as the weapon.

For some reason cars don't inspire the clench-fisted protesting of Vietnam or guns even though they are more than twice as deadly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Consider the Quantas Airlines flight, Airbus. 3 onboard control systems computers, took 2 unexpected and uncontrollable dives resulting in serious injuries to passengers and crew as well as lawsuits and settlements. All input from sensors and control shown to be correct, flaw in the program best guess.
Also consider a central control piloting these autonomous cars and how that can be used to nefarious ends.
No thanks.
Also keep in mind how much safer automation has made aviation.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I thought Uber’s self driving tractor trailer was interesting.... I would never trust it without a humanoid at the controls to overide them

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
(snip)
BUT..................that IS what we got with the automobile
In 2016 37,461 people died in vehicle accidents in the US
Just for our convenience for getting somewhere faster and/or easier.
Tucson has what is locally billed as "The world's largest non-mechanized parade," the Tucson Rodeo Parade held every February.

On a field trip as a youngster to the parade, along the old through-downtown route, you could hear a loud roar of the crowd and commotion getting closer. A large buckboard wagon, drawn by two large spooked Belgian draft horses, came fishtailing around the corner, ran over a few people sitting at the curbside, then around the next corner.

Given scale, I'm not sure how safe a non-mechanized transport infrastructure would be with current population numbers.

BDAB has it right: automation inreliability is the only reason we still have a crew onboard large passenger/cargo aircraft.

Though the military is shifting to "remote piloted vechicles" for such and has been using them in Afghanistan.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
May not be such a good idea afterall, my question is...why didnt the human take control? Thoughts and prayers sent to victims family...

https://gizmodo.com/uber-self-driving-car-killed-arizona-woman-while-in-au-1823891032
Cars were meant to be driven. That's why they quit putting horses in front of them. The driver of this autonomous car was probably on his iPhone 15 or using the 10 inch touchscreen to navigate to the next starbucks. The cars can drive themselves but cant stop humans from being idiots.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals