• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I swear the fenders always seem damaged on these trucks. I have literally 6 parts trucks and my BII, and everyone of them has fenders that need repairs, either rust, major dents, or guys hacking them up for tires too big for their ride height. Not one almost perfect fender in the whole lot. 🤷🏻‍♂️

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
I just finished reading through the whole thread. You do good work. And quick too. Seeing your pup makes me miss having a dog. These damned cats just aren't the same. I need to get a thread together for my Ranger. Guess that means I need to start working on it. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Ray

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Awsom-O... I lucked into passenger fender but none on the drivers side. I ordered one off of ebay and was wondering where it is at. They refunded my moneu saying it is no longer available thru the company I ordered from. I have found a couple of other sites I want to order one from LMC wants twice as much with shipping so I am going to try one off another site. I hope it is not junk. I have seensome bad aftermarket but have seen some good ones too.

Hello Rayin Stl... I was just a little south of your area this past weekend. My brothers and me had a little get together as we had not seen each other in a while. Thanks for the compliments. I try to do as best work as possible. I am not as far as I would like to be on my Ranger but it is slowly getting there. I have resotred trucks in the past so have been down this road before. I will look forward to seeing your build if you start one. Let me know if you do.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2609.jpeg

I need to replace this part. My dimmer switch likes to jam up. I’m looking for videos on how to replace it. May actually have to do it the old fashion way and look into a manual.
IMG_2603.jpeg

It looks like what I had done previously but I was getting the inner fenders and all loosened up to get the Evaporator out.
I tried just to remove the door on left side and it would not let it out. I removed inner fender and then had to remove the rest of the bolts holding the complete assembly over against the fender. It was still tight getting enough room to remove the old Evaporator and getting the new one in.
IMG_2604.jpeg

I got my new Evaporator from Orielly. Just do someone wants to know where the Orifice goes, it is into the Evaporator lower pipe.
IMG_2606.jpeg

The Orifice is below the Dryer. Dryer is clamped in between the Evaporator cover. Hope to get my Condenser and AC Compressor on later today. I still need to order a switch.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
replacing that switch is probably not terribly hard. looks like a pull the guts out of the column from behind the steering wheel type of deal

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This weeks plans are to get the rest of my AC components installed and Turn Signal switch installed and maybe AC system recharged.

I ordered a fender from Ebay, today I got a refund saying they do not have any. Tomorrow I plan on ordering another fender, just not sure which source I will order ir from. Maybe Friday I will get some more primer and at least try to get the cab ready for paint as I still need to work on the wheel arches on the bed.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello suoerj.. I was watching some videos and cannot find one on thses trucks. I dont think it will be like the full size trucks. They have to cut wires or un pin the harness, I sure hope I dont have to go down that road. I can and will do it if I need to but sure hoping it is just an easy fix. Fingers crossed.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2610.png

Never had anything like this before. This is my fender order.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got your bracket in the mail today Terry. Let me know when you get it. Sent by Small packet air.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks I appreciate it. Send me your Paypal address and I will get you paid. Is there some other form of payment or even a money order I can do. I have never used Venmo or other things but am willing to learn. Thanks again!!

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2611.jpeg

To replace Signal Switch/Dimmer. Remove steering column cover and then gently remove foam dust cover and two plugs.
IMG_2614.jpeg

Then the two gold torx screws and it slides right out. Easy job except I cannot get my lever to release from old one. Otherwise a 10 minute job.

Attachments

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2615.jpeg

Two issues I am having. Getting the lever out to swap to new switch. I have tried penetrating oil and I am thinking a nail or paper clip to release lever from assembly. Not happening as of now.
IMG_2617.jpeg

Other issue is my new red one has an extra electric tab on top and an extra on the bottom. I got this one from Rockauto. I will check my local Orielly tomorrow and see if they can get correct switch.
It may interchange but do want to risk it.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2619.jpeg

If this is a release pin, I am not having any luck moving it either way. Where my thumb is.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I think that that's the pivot pin (by your thumb) for the socket that holds the lever.

Try hitting the base of the lever in the socket with Wild Dog (WD-40), and let it sit overnight. Then GENTLY tap on the lever with a plastic head hammer, on the end and inwards, a few times (to help break loose the stuck retainer). Then get a grip and pull the lever straight outwards. It may need some "tough love" but don't go overboard.

Terrys87

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2620.jpeg

At the tip of my screwdriver may be a release pin. It is not budging either. Could be rusted.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals