• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Been to 2 places and I can't get a decent alignment on my 94 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4x4
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger is back on the road after being put to pasture many years ago. For some reason the alignment is not right. I replaced the shocks front and rear and had the wheel bearings replaced but I've been to two alignment shops in my town and neither could get a decent alignment. The first place as a joke. It was worse than when I took it in. The 2nd place was a big improvement, and as long as I'm on flat good roads. But if I get on rutted or bad roads the front end is all over the place. The 2nd placed added "a kit" to align it ($300!!!) but it's still not right on rutted roads (I'm not talking about off road/dirt, just potholes and ruts in the paved roads.)

Why is it so hard to get a decent alignment?

I was under the truck and that I can tell nothing is worn so bad that I can visually see it. I can grab the tires, try to move or shake them, and they don't move, and the same thing with the tie road ends, etc. The ONLY thing I can see/feel is on the passenger side, there is a strut that goes from the frame up to one of the suspension arms and it runs right by the collector of the header and it looks like it could be melted a little. It looks a little shiny. So maybe that is it. But if it's not, what else could it be? Both places said mechanically the suspension is fine. Nothing worn out.

The truck has 90K miles on it (I'm the original owner.)

Anyone recommend a great alignment shop in or around the Vegas area? Thanks.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Problem is no one knows how to align twin I beams anymore.

I would call around and specifically ask if anyone there knows twin I beams. If they reply "uh what?" Hang up and call the next place.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
What shocks did you use for replacements?
From your descriptions, it sounds like your issue is not with the alignment but with control on rutted roads.
That said, What Rusty said is very true.
It also sounds like the second shop used adjustable bushings, which helps make alignment more accurate - if they know what they're doing.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
So, here's the deal. See link below. As mentioned above, TIB /TTB isn't very common. So almost nobody knows what to do with it. If you can find someone who truly wants to help, have them read this article and some of the others in our tech library to get an understanding of this setup. There are those of us around here who can do that alignment in an hour in our driveway and have it right. I'd be willing to help. But by the time you travel to SC or buy my trip to Vegas, it's a pretty expensive deal.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You know...just a random thought....

Try calling a place that wrenches on motorhomes. E series cutaways (the basis for 90% of class C motorhomes) still run I beams.

Might help, might not.

EDIT-

So do 2wd superduties. Maybe the dealer? As painful as that would be

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Maybe an off road shop or frame alignment shop?

Our local 4wheelparts does most of the alignments for the local off road guys.

I have a guy down the street that is savvy...nice new rack, clean shop... they are out there.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Thank you all, I will do as you say and call around. Yes I did read that article it was very good and why I posted here. :) Most definitely the most knowledgeable site for Ford trucks on the net. :cool:

As for shocks, I installed the Bilsteins. (B6-4600, no lift) I had to wait over a year to get them. That Hooligans place ripped me off. I paid for front and rear but they only sent the fronts. So I had to get the rear off Amazon.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Is this a new issue or are you just used to driving modern vehicles that handle better? Asking because you say your truck was put out to pasture for some time........ I leave my '88 at work sometimes for days at a time and drive the company truck, a 2017 Dodge. Getting back into the Ranger after even a few days is like switching to a covered wagon, the ride quality is horrible but it is what it is for that time period.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4x4
Transmission
Manual
I have many vehicles from the 1960's to modern times. I know of what you speak. But this is definitely not right. On some roads the Ranger is just scary as hell. I drove it for 10 years before retiring it. Never had this problem before. But your thoughts are valid.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I have many vehicles from the 1960's to modern times. I know of what you speak. But this is definitely not right. On some roads the Ranger is just scary as hell. I drove it for 10 years before retiring it. Never had this problem before. But your thoughts are valid.
I live in michigan, pothole capital. My rangers never felt scary over even the worst roads. Id say you got an issue for sure

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I live in michigan, pothole capital. My rangers never felt scary over even the worst roads. Id say you got an issue for sure
You might have a high tolerance for "scary".

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You might have a high tolerance for "scary".
I mean...i would say im above average yes. But the ranger doesnt feel any more unsafe over bad roads then anything else ive driven...just..different

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4x4
Transmission
Manual
When I say "scary as hell" I mean as I'm hitting ruts or potholes the truck will pull left or right (no pattern, just seems to be random) instantly and I have to very quickly correct it or I'll be out of my lane. It's true white knuckle driving. :) :) On the interstate where it's mostly flat and decent it drives pretty well. About what you'd expect out of a 1990's vehicle, just about as Shran would expect. But on local roads or state routes where the roads are not as well maintained, it's a real handful.

From my experience that means something is worn out, but that I can tell I can't find any slop in the suspension. I don't have a lift so that might be why.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
When I say "scary as hell" I mean as I'm hitting ruts or potholes the truck will pull left or right (no pattern, just seems to be random) instantly and I have to very quickly correct it or I'll be out of my lane. It's true white knuckle driving. :) :) On the interstate where it's mostly flat and decent it drives pretty well. About what you'd expect out of a 1990's vehicle, just about as Shran would expect. But on local roads or state routes where the roads are not as well maintained, it's a real handful.

From my experience that means something is worn out, but that I can tell I can't find any slop in the suspension. I don't have a lift so that might be why.
The caster and toe adjustments have a lot to do with that.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Just curious...when you checked stuff did you have the wheels in the air? The weight of the truck will make shit feel tight when its not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals