• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BW 1350 Electronic Shift Troubleshooting

oldford4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have been going through my wiring on a '86 BII and got to the point where I was checking the 8-pin connector from Pin 8- Y/W to Pins 4-7. I am showing "Open" on all pins. I went through this multiple times to confirm "Open" at all resistance settings on my multi-meter (.01 ohm-20000 ohms). Am I definitely looking at a bad electronic shift motor or is there something else with the position check that can be done to further check my problem? I plan to replace the motor with a parts store unit if that is definitely my only possible issue. Currently the vehicle is in 2 HI and when the system is all fully connected, pressing the switch results in nothing (clicks/flashing lights, etc., just silence). The self check passes with a flashing light, and the other two harnesses check out okay. The plug at the T-case does not have any visible corrosion issues.

oldford4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Budro, most of that article is straight from the Ford shop manual. I still don't understand what it means though that, as I am in 2 HI, I don't have a short on the 8-pin harness from Pin 8 to Pins 4 & 6 (or any pin for that matter)? Should I go probe at the connector at the shift motor? It would be Pin 10 to Pins 6 & 8 at the motor. Regardless, as the connector looks sound, I expect the same "open" result. I'm assuming my shift position sensor is fouled internally, but in the "servicing" article in tech it looks to be just a disc and plate? There's not a lot in there to go wrong, unless the gear just goes totally fragged, but I guess I would still expect a "short" on one of the sensor wires.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals