• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can The Windshield Wiper Cowl be removed on a 1993 Ford Ranger

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
I have a water leak in the front passenger area of my 93 Ranger. In what I have researched it's most likely in the windshield wiper cowl. Can that be removed or is it welded to the body?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its welded in
But unlikely to be a leak point, but possible

Lower corners of windshield trough is most likely if its running down behind the kick panels or corners of firewall inside the cab

But yes if you use a hose feeding water only into the cowl area and get the leak to start then under the cowl it is
Cowl area drains on each side just in front of the doors, check that it is draining on each side

Most common leak point on Rangers is the 3rd brake light on the back of cab, and because a Ranger usually sits a bit higher in the back the front areas get the water build up, and if its parked most of the time slightly leaning to the right then front passenger area

And, of course, if you have AC then clogged drain causes water in the passenger side footwell

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Its welded in
But unlikely to be a leak point, but possible

Lower corners of windshield trough is most likely if its running down behind the kick panels or corners of firewall inside the cab

But yes if you use a hose feeding water only into the cowl area and get the leak to start then under the cowl it is
Cowl area drains on each side just in front of the doors, check that it is draining on each side

Most common leak point on Rangers is the 3rd brake light on the back of cab, and because a Ranger usually sits a bit higher in the back the front areas get the water build up, and if its parked most of the time slightly leaning to the right then front passenger area

And, of course, if you have AC then clogged drain causes water in the passenger side footwell
When I ran a garden hose through the access panels for the cowl, I had actually seen some water droplets on the front passenger kick area where the passengers feet would go. So I don't think it's the 3rd brake light. And further, the water was draining on both sides of the cowl.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can pull off the Blower motor to see if the water is leaking in from Fresh air vent, its under the area of the cowl with no holes, it has about a 1" lip around it so water in the cowl can't come in(unless drains are blocked), but it can rust
There is no filter so its just an open vent the blower can pull in fresh air from

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Basically what Ron said... if you were really spraying a lot of water in there it could have run over or dripped through the fresh air vent but that might not be your problem. Could be rust in there, could be leaking somewhere else. The windshield on my Explorer leaks, water comes in somewhere on the bottom of the windshield and then runs down behind the dash and drips on the pedals. Maybe narrow it down with small amounts of water poured on specific areas.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think the only access you have for a cowl repair, if that is the leak source, is to pull the dash and any access openings you might have on the firewall.

Since it's on the passenger side, there should be a water drain on that side for the A/C. I'm not sure if non-A/C trucks have that drain as well. That could be clogged with debrise and causing the system to fill with water and over flow.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
I think the only access you have for a cowl repair, if that is the leak source, is to pull the dash and any access openings you might have on the firewall.

Since it's on the passenger side, there should be a water drain on that side for the A/C. I'm not sure if non-A/C trucks have that drain as well. That could be clogged with debrise and causing the system to fill with water and over flow.
No blockages in the cowl drain now, I used a leaf blower and then a garden house to clean it out via the 2 access panels. Water came out of both sides of the cowl drain, so I'm assuming there isn't any blockages in the drains.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
No blockages in the cowl drain now, I used a leaf blower and then a garden house to clean it out via the 2 access panels. Water came out of both sides of the cowl drain, so I'm assuming there isn't any blockages in the drains.
If you have A/C, there should be a water drain for the evaporator that would be separate from the cowl drains. This is there to handle condensation running down off the evaporator since it sits lower than the cowl drains.

I don't remember if my non-A/C equipped Ranger had that drain as well or not.

It would be a rubber hose running down under the cab that may or may not have a fitting on the end to keep insects from crawling up into the hose.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
If you have A/C, there should be a water drain for the evaporator that would be separate from the cowl drains. This is there to handle condensation running down off the evaporator since it sits lower than the cowl drains.

I don't remember if my non-A/C equipped Ranger had that drain as well or not.

It would be a rubber hose running down under the cab that may or may not have a fitting on the end to keep insects from crawling up into the hose.
I'll check my AC condensation hose. Thanks

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
PS: Ever since I have been going to a car wash at least 3 times a week, especially when the roads were salty, I have noticed this water anomaly under the passenger car mat.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
PS: Ever since I have been going to a car wash at least 3 times a week, especially when the roads were salty, I have noticed this water anomaly under the passenger car mat.
That sounds like the condensation drain. I had that problem wifh a Honda CR-V I had. I think I fixed it by running a wire coat hanger up the hose.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Thanks again, I'll check it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals