• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Considering a carb’d or Sniper v8 swap in 2002 with PATS

kansastj

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did some searching and can’t find exact what looking for.

I have a bunch of left over old school SBF stuff from my 76 Bronco and a 65 Mustang. I would like to V8 swap a poorly running 2.3L 2002 Ranger I just bought over to a simple carb or TBI EFI w/ a spare 351 roller block and c4 that I have. I will locate an explorer 8.8 for the rear end. I plan to strip the engine bay of nearly everything not needed and use a 80’s starter solenoid and a 1-wire HEI distributer but I just started reading about PAT’s.

Is there a simple keyed “ignition”and “run” power source under the hood that will suffice for a relay signal for starter and fuel pump / distributor or will I have problems? Or can I just leave the old computer in place and let it run the fuel pump (I know I need a regulator for lower PSI) and power box under the hood? I rather not rely on the old computer for reliability reasons. Want simple old school operation

Thanks in advance.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just so you know, I have a Holley Sniper EFI in my 1975 Ranchero 460/C6. The Sniper requires 3/16" fuel supply and return lines and the Sniper injection body regulates the fuel pressure. My 2002 Ranger has 5/16" fuel supply and return lines AND the return line ends at the fuel filter, not at the engine bay. Also the '02 Ranger fuel pressure is regulated at the pump/FPR in the tank.

I don't know about other EFI systems but the Sniper, which I like, would require a reworked fuel supply from the tank to the engine bay.

Then there is the problem of fitting the 351 in the Ranger engine bay. Still this should make for a fine Ranger.

kansastj

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the info. I have a Sniper on my classic bronco and I am prepared to install a new fuel lines, pump and or regulators. I actually have all the fuel lines and fittings on the shelf. I over buy stuff. I also have several carbs for initial start up and tuning before I introduce EFI.

Anyone know if I will have any worries with the PATs security system? I don’t have a spare non-chipped key yet to start investing with a VOM meter. I would rather abandon all the ford electronics and make it old school hot rod simple.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In 2002 PATS is in the computer, so if computer is not used then No PATS

Current key will work as is

I would invest in a FORD 2002 Ford Ranger Wiring Diagrams manual
Seen here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/314696993159?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

This is one book from the Shop Manual Set Ford sends out every year for every model, so dealer techs can service New Vehicles that year
It has all the wiring for that model with all engines and options
And you can resell it when you are done with it, just like the person you are buying from is doing, so usually FREE to use

Yes, there is key on Power in engine bay, several places, the computer has 2, plus most solenoid valves, IAC, MAF, ect.......................
This is why the Wiring Diagrams can be useful
You also don't want to leave "live wires" hanging about, lol

Also Temp for dash, oil gauge, Voltage gauge, general cab wiring
Charging system is also important, lol

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
I'm running sniper on my 99 v8swap ranger. Install was easy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals