• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Couldn't wait for Jim's Continental Divide Trip

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I was able to join a group this year for a Continental Divide Trip. I know Jim had plans to do it but things kept getting in the way so I jumped on this opportunity. It started on my birthday, June 21, 2021. We had a wide range of people that added up to 13 at the start with 8 vehicles. I only knew 2 of them but all were great to run with.

The organizers were a couple that homesteaded in Alaska for 18 years, and now just travel around with no permanent home after selling their home in Spokane before the trip. They had a Jeep with 37"tires. We had an American that has lived in Mexico for most of his life and has dual citizenship. He drove a VW pickup. We also had a Mexican that has lived in California most of his life. He had an opportunity to get US citizenship but found it less expensive to just keep a Green Card. He also had a Jeep but with 35" tires. We also had a couple that live in New Mexico near the Mexico border. He ran away from home at the age of 12 to become a real cowboy. He did live the life of a real cowboy for many years including riding the rodeo. They had a FJ80 Landcruiser with 35" tires. It was set up very nice but was under powered. Another couple had an all wheel drive Sprinter. He was retired from making movies and she was in the business of making commercials. Another couple from San Francisco had a nicely set up 4WD Ford van. We also had a couple with a Jeep that pulled an off-road tear drop trailer.

We drove down to the Mexico border to officially start the trip at the beginning. It was a hot day at 103 degrees. Nice to have A/C cooled vehicles. We had some wildfire smoke the first few days that we could see and smell but we didn't have to make any detours. We would get rain showers everyday in the afternoon for several days in the beginning. Then at about a week into the trip around the official first day of the Monsoons, we got heavy rain. The rocky road we were climbing became a stream but fortunately did not get flash flooding. Hail did come down a couple times though. It was small hail and built up like snow. I had at least an inch of it on my hood. As we moved on to more level ground the road went from rocky to sticky mud. We were slipping an sliding all over but had to keep moving because there was no place to pull over to set up camp. Once we found some slight openings we pulled off to wait for the road to dry a little. My wheel wells were packed with mud to the tires. I was able to dig some of it out but it was still a mess. Overnight, the breeze dried the road enough that we did not sink into it any more so we moved on before it started raining again.

Here is one of our better campsites.

This is a view of a lake in Northern NM. I don't remember the name of it but it sure is not what I think of when I think if NM.

This is not typical of the roads we took but there was quite a bit of it. Most was smoother gravel roads but we did have some pretty rough moderate rock crawling too, like on Elwood Pass. I didn't get any photos of the rock crawling. I was too busy guiding.

Here is where we spent July 4th. We celebrated with a nice BBQ and some beers. It was next to the Rio Grande river.

Here is a river crossing that we were concerned might be too deep due to the snow melt runoff. It was only about 18" deep, so no problem.

This is a view of on the way down from Stony Pass.

Here is a view of a valley in Colorado. That kind of road was typical through most of the trip.

This is a view down as we were approaching Engineer Pass.

I only had 4 weeks for the trip and ended up having to leave 4 days earlier than I planned. The hanger for the catalytic converter broke out of the exhaust pipe between the two main converters leaving a big hole. I had a warranty replacement for the same thing just a couple months earlier. I was able to get some repair materials in Frisco, CO but decided to go home. I thought all the bouncing around could cause more damage to the exhaust system with the converter hanger missing.

I ended up buying two different repair kits and used both of them. They got me home at around 1000 miles but had a good leak when I arrived home. I have been communicating back and forth between Walker and Rock Auto (where I purchased it) about a warranty replacement. It took a lot of discussion because I don't want a refund, I want a replacement. It turns out I have to wait until October sometime due to a national back order. I repaired the hole again and made up a hanger that should hold out until then. Once I get the replacement, I intend to reinforce the pipe around the hanger so it doesn't fail again.

Someday I will return to my departure point and finish the trip.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Looks awesome. From your description, would a 2wd make it?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
You might be able to make detours to make it easier in 2WD, but you don't always know when you are going to hit the bad areas. Even the Sprinter with all wheel drive and low range had some difficulties in some areas. They made some detours too. Then again a good driver with a 2WD and a locker can do some amazing things. So, I would say it is not impossible but 4WD with good ground clearance is highly recommended.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Looks like a great trip. I had a lot of fun when I did CO many years ago...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Awesome! Hope I can get out there some day.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
You might be able to make detours to make it easier in 2WD, but you don't always know when you are going to hit the bad areas. Even the Sprinter with all wheel drive and low range had some difficulties in some areas. They made some detours too. Then again a good driver with a 2WD and a locker can do some amazing things. So, I would say it is not impossible but 4WD with good ground clearance is highly recommended.
Is there a map for this and would it show the 'detours' or is that somewhat intuitive (aka you can 'see' them as you come up on the tough spots)?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Apparently, there are several maps and versions of the trail by 4 wheeled vehicles. Our leader established the route he wanted to take and I followed. I don't have the map or much help in finding one. There is also a CDT specifically for hikers and one for cyclist. Sometimes all three share the same trail. Cyclist and 4 wheeled vehicles share the same trail the most. Motorcycles and 4 wheeled vehicles pretty much share the same trail all the time, but again there are different routes to take. I am pretty sure Elwood Pass, that we took, is not a standard route.

Nothing about the trail is intuitive. Many times it is difficult to stay on track. Fortunately, our leader and many people had the track on Gaia, and that helped a lot. There are small markers along the way but don't expect big signs showing you the way.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Gaia is excellent. Even the free version.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Apparently, there are several maps and versions of the trail by 4 wheeled vehicles. Our leader established the route he wanted to take and I followed. I don't have the map or much help in finding one. There is also a CDT specifically for hikers and one for cyclist. Sometimes all three share the same trail. Cyclist and 4 wheeled vehicles share the same trail the most. Motorcycles and 4 wheeled vehicles pretty much share the same trail all the time, but again there are different routes to take. I am pretty sure Elwood Pass, that we took, is not a standard route.

Nothing about the trail is intuitive. Many times it is difficult to stay on track. Fortunately, our leader and many people had the track on Gaia, and that helped a lot. There are small markers along the way but don't expect big signs showing you the way.
Thank you.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I really like Gaia GPS. I used it to navigate the TAT. That's how I would do the divide.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have Gaia but I really need to sit down and figure out how to use it. A lot of people like the program but right now I’m more like the proverbial monkey with a football.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Yes, it is time I started using Gaia. I have been holding off because I don't like to get dependent on too many electronic devices. Many trails i have been taking lately would be a lot easier with Gaia. It is not perfect but is very good.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I ended up getting Garmin Overlander. I looked at all the systems people use that I travel with, and Garmin Overlander had features that appealed the most to me. It is not inexpensive but with all the time I spend in the wilderness, I think it is worth it for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals