• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crank the torsions for 31 s or 3 inch body with 32s w no gearing

Paka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Aloha everyone,
I have read a lot over the past cupple weeks since getting a 2003 Mazda crew cab 4x4 auto . This is the nicest car I have ever owned. Before this I had a 1986 Toyota with a 3 inch body lift with 32 inch tires. The power wasn't good cause I didn't have gearing but the height was perfect for the mountains and sand .
This is we're I stand now. I have 245/75/16 on the maz now and want it higher. After reading sounds like torsion keys aren't any good. A friend saw the instructions on body lift for this truk and said to instal he'd charge me 450 just to install. So that seems way to much but is it really that hard.
Since money's tights sounds like I should just crank up the torsions and put on 31 s but there not much bigger than the 245s are they. I'd really like to put the 3 inch body lift on with 32s but do I need to put gearing into the truk. I'd really like the height for off road.
Anyways I'll try to post pics and make tis into a project post. Finished the tint and put on pipe racks so far. Mahalo guys n gals paka

stiluv

01/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.oh face oh oh oh
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Crank the t bars and get it aligned you shouldn't have a problem fitting 32's that's what I did and I fit 33's nicely. What gears do you have now?

Paka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
That's my next job Is to find out my gearing. I"ll get back to u on that , thanks

stiluv

01/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.oh face oh oh oh
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
If its an auto it probably has 410's. If its a 5 speed it probably has 373's.

Paka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
ClImed under the truck and not sure, it is an automatic and im wondering is it on the tab of differencial cover or is it stamp on differencial and will it say 4.10?

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok, there's two ways to ID your rear axle. First and easiest is to look at the door vin label. I don't have a picture of one handy but there should be a 2 digit, alpha-numeric code listed under axle. You can then look that code up on this page, Ford Ranger Rear Axles, to find what you have. The only time this is wrong is if a previous owner swapped out the axle or re-geared. The other way to ID you axle is to look at the tag that is attached to one of the bolts on the diff. cover. The link I posted above had an example of this tag. Sometimes its hard to make out what's on that tag, so might want to carry a wire brush with you if choosing that route.

As Stiluv said you should definitely be able to run 32 with a mild T-bar crank, really no more than leveling it out. I know of plenty of people around the various forums that have/are running 33x10.5 tires with no more than a heavy T-bar crank. In fact since we've mostly got flat ground (even the hills are mostly flat, not much flexing) I'll probably be putting a 33x12.5 on my '99 4x4 when I need tires, then if it rubs too much for my liking I'll add a body lift. That's a little ways off though. While my tires are worn out I need to rebuild my front suspension before I buy new ones.

Last edited:

Paka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys so much. I'll crank the torsional after I know I have the 410 gearing .my biggest concern is will my truck handle these tires , power wise and longevity wise

brandothehick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
have a noob question... how do you crank the t bars? pics would be a huge help too

Paka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Check out tech library on this site under lifts/ torsion bar crank , super easy

bblatch69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
your truck comes stock with 4.10s no need to re gear. ive got 265/75r16s which is 31.6" fit great and didnt seem to affect acceleration over the stock 245/75r16s

n.a.mccanna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '94 B4000 and 31X10.5's fit fine with no modification to anything...... speedo is just off about 8-10mph depending how fast I'm going. But 55 and 65 on the speedo the cops seem to leave me alone.....it's actually 63 and 74ish....

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals