• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Defrost only

01WHTRNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For the last year and some change I’ve only had defrost and no ac. I know it’s a vacuum issue and I might’ve found the culprit. The picture is of a tibe coming from the firewall behind the passenger side tire. I was hoping somebody can confirm or deny if that’s the issue

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That might be the drain for the air-conditioning. If you have that option.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that's a drain for condensation from AC, i.e. the place where the water drips out on ALL vehicles with AC, when it's in operation

In the engine bay is the Heater Hose by-pass valve
Has a grey vacuum hose on it, follow that hose down to firewall between inner fender and heater box, hard to see, but don't need to see it really
There will be a Black vacuum hose going into the cab with the grey hose

This black vacuum line is the vacuum source for the cabs vent system, that's what you need to locate
It runs forward from firewall along the frame rail to the very front of the vehicle and is connected to the Vacuum Reservoir, the "black ball"
If your fender was off the black ball is locate here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/vacuum-globe-jpg.39621/
In front of passenger side front wheel bolted to the inner fender

Looking at it from the other side it has two vacuum line: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/general-technical-electrical-18/32582d1327187830-hvac-temp-control-unit-starting-go-vac%20reservoir.jpg

The one from the firewall, the other goes to the engine's upper intake manifold, the vacuum source

Most common place for a break in the hose is along the frame rail, gets brittle from the heat of exhaust and cracks
Easily spliced with a snug fitting rubber vacuum hose

01WHTRNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok, I figured it might be that vacuum line, just had a hard time following all of it the other day when I checked. I'll go over it again this weekend when I can have the truck laid up for longer

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check the vacuum reservoir first to be sure it does not leak. Then let us know how that works out.
My 2002 Ranger pumps A/C out the defroster vents for some minutes before exiting the dash A/C vents. Hence a slow vacuum leak somewhere.
I did check the vacuum reservoir and it holds a vacuum as it should.
I'm told there is likely a crack in the nylon vacuum line from the reservoir up through the interior firewall connector. I bought a replacement but just do not see how I can reach that danged firewall connector without having the truck up on an overhead lift.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Diff gen, but if it's similar to '97... 3/32 ID rubber tubing will help you in diagnosing, it fits over the nipples on the connector and inside the female side. On mine, behind the glove box there are the two lines black and white, there's a connector, you can get to it with no problem (or flip glove box down). Remove connector inside, attach tubing to the nipple for the black (or grey), suck on it (or use vacuum tool if you have one). Does it hold vacuum? Likewise test the white line (going to the heater valve), plug it inside (put a tube and put a golf t in it) and suck on it at the heater valve, it should also hold vacuum. On mine, the latter is leaking, I can't find the part for it (but for yours you can). "vacuum harness".1998-2011 Ford Ranger Vacuum Harness F87Z-19C828-DA | TascaParts.com
Disconnect line from heater valve and reservoir, pull through from inside cab, replace. If leak is there, which it probably is. At the price, I'd do that (if leak is in one of those lines) versus trying to mess with it.
I don't know how different your gen is from mine, but the first things is find where is vacuum leak, assuming it's in one of the lines. Obviously there is more to it all, but there's no reason to suspect leak in other lines or in the selector or the lines to the vent actuators or the actuators ("vacuum solenoid") themselves.
Once you have chased this and you think vacuum is ok (no leaks), run the engine, select "Off" (you should see the recirculate door be actuated, it's right there behind the glove box). Turn the engine off. Watch the door - it should hold for awhile (because vacuum is in the reservoir) - maybe 45 seconds - before it starts closing. And of course the other test is, does it work lol.
What I did for temporary fix is I attached black-black (or grey-grey) at the firewall with a short stub of tubing. Then I put a golf t in the white side of the connector. Now all is good, you do want the recirculate feature, it blows cold as ice. Of course now my heater valve doesn't shut like it's supposed to on Max or Off, but I'm kind of stuck absent good part to install. That would result in a bit colder air, but it doesn't hurt anything, pending real fix. I'm tempted to order the '98-up line, but I well might be throwing away the money. Other option is junkyard I guess. It'd be easy enough to test a j-yard line and see if it's good.
There's really not very much in terms of lines on the engine side, just, you can't get to part of it because of where it runs. Another option for me would be take out existing then try to find leak/splice in good tubing.
@mikkelstuff, you should be able to disconnect lines on engine side; look under glove box, there's a rubber grommet, the 2 lines/grommet are an assembly, you don't have to mess with it from the engine side, just pull through into the cab, likewise insert the new ones, maybe tape the ends to not get crap in them. When you push enough through you'll be able to grab them from the engine side.
Don't know if any of that helps but both poster's issues should be straightforward (if it's in the lines discussed, which it probably is).
As you know no vacuum always defaults to defrost. Mine was fine except would default only on Max a/c which knowing what I know now, would point me to the heater valve line since that's the only time it's activated (except for Off, and then you have no vents working at all).

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Vacuum systems SUCK :)

01WHTRNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I found out my ac works the other day. Turned on max ac to close the vents and test it while I was going down some gravel. Took 8-10 minutes to kick on, and wasn't as cold as it should be. I'll recharge it sometime and go from there on it. It's in the high 80's this week and I don't have a shaded place to work so I doubt I'll be investigating vacuum lines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals