• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR position sensor test - code 31

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
My book shows a v-reserv usually indicates a vacuum reservor in the path to the EGR. Maybe try putting all new vacuum lines on and eliminate the hoaky plastic ones that have a tendency to plug or crack. My book shows code 41 as the oxygen senser (EGO) or vacuum issues. Vacuum being the common denominator.

swingjunkie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I put a vacuum gauge on this over the holidays. At the vacuum tree I have 21" Hg . No wiggle, no jiggle, steady as a rock. I then connected the gauge between the vacuum resevoir and the EGR. As expected tthis reads 0 "Hg at idle, and when I rev it to about 2000 RPMs I max out at 6" Hg on the EGR. Vacuum lines on this engine are tight, so tight they are difficult to get on and off, so I do not suspect any vacuum leaks. I also went round all the hoses one more time with propane and not a wiff of any leaks.

I exercised the EGRV and EGRC solenoids extensively and thouroghly flushed them with WD, as suggested in an earlier post. As best I can tell they are working as expected.

I put on a new O2 sensor which cleared the code 41, so the only remaining engine code is the code 34 (EGR did not respond as expected durng the KOER test). My only thought on this is that the EGR port in the upper intake manifold is plugged. I have a set of fuel injectors to install when time permits, and when I do that I will pull the upper intake manifold and see if that is the case. I'll update this thread when that happens.

Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas on resolving this
Happy New Year
Carl

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals