• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric speedo/odo options for an 88 STX?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My son has what he believes is a 1997 or 1999 Chevy NV3500 MG5 wide-ratio Trans and NP231C transfer case (6 gear planetary) that came out of a fire co. Brush truck (we believe it was a K2500). He's putting it into his 88 STX 4x4 roller with a factory mechanical speedo/Odo.
(It is going into an Supercab Ranger 4x4 to be a dual-stick with a rebuilt Buick 4bbl Carburated draw-thru Turbo 231 V6 (pre-GN Buick Turbo)
Can anyone point me in the direction of a factory or aftermarket 5-5.25" Round Electric speedo option for his truck/ Transmission combo to go in his original dash cluster?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
231 from a 3/4 ton? or 241?

i know for certain years you can use jeep parts to put a mechanical drive on it. i have used 241 parts and a clock ring to put jeep cases on 4l80 transmissions just because of wanting to retain the speedo cable because the 241 was electronic and not like the 208 for optional drives.. and fixed yoke upgrades...

but that was using late 80s early 90s stuff.

not sure what i have laying around .... those 231 cases can be real cheap some places....might be able to get one for 75-150 bux.

simply swap the 231 input from the gm into the jeep case. not sure if the 231 output parts can simply be swapped on a later for a speedo drive or not. the jeeps are not fixed yoke either but were at one time cheaper to upgrade..

tell them you want to put a jeep case on a gm trans.

or talk to these guys and adapt the dodge setup. this if it works with the case you have i would consider......only if i could not source a 208 j case for next to nothing.

plenty of options. obviously with junkyard shopping you can do this for pennies.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
and in case it wasnt obvious....whatever end you need.... adapt to a long speedo cable....

that is a ....not perfect video....but its pretty good.

i have been doing this since the 80's and long before the internet had videos......so i am a cave pig.....at least these digital cave pigs make videos.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
231 from a 3/4 ton? or 241?
Tag says NP231C- I'm thinking its from a K1500 not a 2500. W/ 6 Planetary gears it is definitely a stout unit, not like the 3 gear 231J. Replacing the chain and one bearing that has a tiny bit of play- everything else seems 100%. Thanks for the video link!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals